LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Richard Hightower-Chicago Bears Special Teams Coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
Richie James is reliable but rarely good for an explosive play. Not to complain too much, he's still helping us win, but I hope we upgrade that area going forward.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Richie James is reliable but rarely good for an explosive play. Not to complain too much, he's still helping us win, but I hope we upgrade that area going forward.

Yeah, talent wise, he's probably 4th behind Pettis, Reed and Taylor.

But I think the real issue is Hightower...most conservative ST coach I've ever seen. He just wants his guys to fair catch or get out of the way. He could carec less about any return yardage or game breakers.

Asks Mitch to kick short kickoffs costing us big yesterday and never ran a single fake or exotic play all season despite having a ST "weapon."
Originally posted by NCommand:

But I think the real issue is Hightower...most conservative ST coach I've ever seen. He just wants his guys to fair catch or get out of the way. He could carec less about any return yardage or game breakers.

Asks Mitch to kick short kickoffs costing us big yesterday and never ran a single fake or exotic play all season despite having a ST "weapon."

Is he really doing this? If he is that's stupid as s**t.

Maybe he's told to Fair catch close ones??

To his credit - he just 't muff the ball - always secures it.

The Vikings turnover yesterday is a great reminder that those errors are so very costly.

That, at best, is a guess.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

If a kicker can reach the 1 yard constantly, they probably can put it in the endzone. Its an attempt to stop teams short of the touchback or to force a turnover but when you have a kick returner constantly taking it back out to the 30 and beyond, maybe you readjust your strategy?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

If a kicker can reach the 1 yard constantly, they probably can put it in the endzone. Its an attempt to stop teams short of the touchback or to force a turnover but when you have a kick returner constantly taking it back out to the 30 and beyond, maybe you readjust your strategy?

You'd think. At best you stop him at the 20. At worst, you give up a TD. If you're going to be conservative and not risk injury to your return team, just take the TB at the 25. It isn't worth it. It's OK to be conservative with kickoffs esp. with our defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You'd think. At best you stop him at the 20. At worst, you give up a TD. If you're going to be conservative and not risk injury to your return team, just take the TB at the 25. It isn't worth it. It's OK to be conservative with kickoffs esp. with our defense.
This. Make them go 75 yards each and every time and don't get guys hurt. Mitch has kicked a ton of balls out of the endzone so he is more than capable of doing it all the time.
Hightower couldn't do much of anything with national leaders and players like Dante Pettis, D.J. Reed, Raheem Mostert and conservatively sticks with safer players like Richie James and Trent Taylor, according to Adam Peters, he'll get another crack with Brandon Aiyuk who is slated to do both punt and kickoff returns.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 25, 2020 at 6:48 AM ]

• Goatie
  • Veteran
Hightower couldn't do much of anything with national leaders and players like Dante Pettis, D.J. Reed, Raheem Mostert and conservatively sticks with safer players like Richie James and Trent Taylor, according to Adam Peters, he'll get another crack with Brandon Aiyuk who is slated to do both punt and kickoff returns.

We haven't had anyone return the KO or Punts since Hayne in the preseason in 2015. Pity he turned out to be a dud. But we need someone who can return like that only all season long. Aiyuk may well be the guy. James Jr was too conservative and missed a lot of opportunities.

Hightower needs to get better or be gone. To much talent, players & picks put into special teams to not be better
Originally posted by Goatie:

We haven't had anyone return the KO or Punts since Hayne in the preseason in 2015. Pity he turned out to be a dud. But we need someone who can return like that only all season long. Aiyuk may well be the guy. James Jr was too conservative and missed a lot of opportunities.

Totally agreed!
I cant believe we are putting our sanders replacement on st risking his neck to return punts and kicks. I mean if hes our wr1 we cant do that. Thats why we traded up 6 spots right?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I cant believe we are putting our sanders replacement on st risking his neck to return punts and kicks. I mean if hes our wr1 we cant do that. Thats why we traded up 6 spots right?

He'll be our 3rd receiver behind Kittle and Deebo at best. ST just gives him more value as a complete player.
Share 49ersWebzone