LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Richard Hightower-Chicago Bears Special Teams Coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
Time to step up shorty. Good to see Pettis back in the returning mix.

Originally posted by NCommand:

Nice! I was scratching my head with that extension and that nee LS was actually a 6th round pick for Pittsburgh
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I've said it many times... Reed is our best KR.

Deebo has a chance to be better though we haven't seen it yet.

What about that KR Rick James "b**ch" housed vs Seacawks last year. That was some pretty elite football speed and elusiveness.

Reed is good, but i rather have someone more elusive back there. That KR from Reed in the video above is more good blocking than anything. Hes got straight line speed that might be elite, but he's not as agile as James or Pettis.
Time to step up shorty. Good to see Pettis back in the returning mix.

Mabin better get cut. He got torched all year long. Hate seeing him on the field.
Just watched his presser.
Love the way he is both very positive about Wishnowsky, but pumps the brakes with the reality check - "he has to do it in the game"

Needs work. Lots of it.
Watching other teams returning...

What is the deal with our return game? Pettis and Reed were the two best in college but Richie James wins out against those two and now he sucks too.

Any theories here?

What is the deal with our return game? Pettis and Reed were the two best in college but Richie James wins out against those two and now he sucks too.

Any theories here?

Well, the third best return average in the NFL is sucking?
Originally posted by OhioNiner:

Any theories here?

Well, the third best return average in the NFL is sucking?

Yes.

Any theories here?

Yeah they both played in inferior leagues in college and played mediocre opponents lol j/k.
I'm going to say it's just in the 49ers DNA. Dexter Carter was a hell of a returner in college and that didn't work out. We've never ever in the history of this franchise ever been known to have a really explosive return game. Ginn Jr was about it.
Originally posted by wailers15:

Any theories here?

Yeah they both played in inferior leagues in college and played mediocre opponents lol j/k.
I'm going to say it's just in the 49ers DNA. Dexter Carter was a hell of a returner in college and that didn't work out. We've never ever in the history of this franchise ever been known to have a really explosive return game. Ginn Jr was about it.

Yeah, it's really perplexing to me. Pettis gets to the NFL and has no desire to return kicks unless he has to. Reed starts dropping everything. Now James won't even field a punt and let's them bounce over his head for 20 yards. And the second he does field it, 8 guys are on top of him (no blocking).

This feels more like coaching at this point???
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 21, 2019 at 5:37 AM ]
Is there a more vanilla ST coach on the planet than this guy? Every week we see teams winning with ST plays...trick, FG's, returns for TD's, blocked kicks, onsides kicks, etc. Not this team. Not ever. So much for Wishnowsky becoming a special teams weapon. And how about some blocking for James once in a while? Low standards for this guy and his flailing unit.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 8, 2019 at 3:07 AM ]
It's funny how every single time we return a punt , I literally expect only a 2-3 yard gain if it's not a fair catch. It just looks like Richie is so hesitant on what he wants to do after he catches it and doesn't look fast but atleast he's not turning it over (knock on wood)
Originally posted by DJamhour:
It's funny how every single time we return a punt , I literally expect only a 2-3 yard gain if it's not a fair catch. It just looks like Richie is so hesitant on what he wants to do after he catches it and doesn't look fast but atleast he's not turning it over (knock on wood)

Honestly, I think that's all Hightower coaches up. It certainly doesn't appear any of our returners are set up to become dynamic over the past three years. Taylor before him too. Fair catch monsters.
Share 49ersWebzone