LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Week 10 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the first half of the season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
OBVIOUSLY?? LOL. sorry but you are wrong. try to be objective. even if jimmy got back on track and remember he was off when he did play.. our wide outs are just not that good. last year he made em look good but this year. you got old hurt garcon. taylor is nothing. goodwin is injury prone this year. and then you got kids who have done little. you jam these guys. they will do nothing,. you have a elite tight end but nothing behind him. the defense is not playoff worthy, hell its not worthy of much at times and even our special teams aside from the kicker struggles. sorry, but it is not obvious to me we were a playoff team. we were a 7 maybe 8 win team

This. People already forgot how lost Jimmy looked this year in the pocket, taking way too many sacks for holding onto the ball way too long and throwing huge picks when the game was on the line. If it weren't for that late flag for defensive holding at the end of the game against the Lions we'd be winless WITH Jimmy this year. I don't see how he magically takes us to the playoffs with this roster.
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
OBVIOUSLY?? LOL. sorry but you are wrong. try to be objective. even if jimmy got back on track and remember he was off when he did play.. our wide outs are just not that good. last year he made em look good but this year. you got old hurt garcon. taylor is nothing. goodwin is injury prone this year. and then you got kids who have done little. you jam these guys. they will do nothing,. you have a elite tight end but nothing behind him. the defense is not playoff worthy, hell its not worthy of much at times and even our special teams aside from the kicker struggles. sorry, but it is not obvious to me we were a playoff team. we were a 7 maybe 8 win team

This. People already forgot how lost Jimmy looked this year in the pocket, taking way too many sacks for holding onto the ball way too long and throwing huge picks when the game was on the line. If it weren't for that late flag for defensive holding at the end of the game against the Lions we'd be winless WITH Jimmy this year. I don't see how he magically takes us to the playoffs with this roster.

And others have forgotten that even Matty Ice's production dropped off in his second year under Kyle's leadership, but picked up significantly in year three. In year one JG was winging it due to lack of time with the offense. In year two he was trying to go through progressions and follow the thought process of Kyle in play design. Hopefully in year three he won't need to think so much and just let it flow. Taylor is recovering from back surgery and that may have slowed him down. Next year he should be his spry self again. As for Goodwin, he should be much healthier next year and able to stay that way especially when Mckinnon returns. The O-line will have a full year under it's belt and they should be much better as a unit.
  • dj43
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I was at that game and bills fans were hanging Kap blowup dolls from trees (how's that for racist) they were selling shirts with Kap's face and a bullseye around it. They were punching/tackling Kap dolls saying about every racist thing you could think of. Give me a break with that s**t. Freedom of speech and being a fan is one thing....and then there's been a redneck hillbilly racist that was so graciously excepted by a massive amount of people.

Here's a thought, you don't like Marvin's comments or options don't read them...pretty simple.

Stud would've thought he died and went to heaven if he were there

That is not an acceptable response. In effect, you are calling someone a racist.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
With Jimmy G we're obviously a playoff team this year. And with the emergence of Matt Brieda and George Kittle next season will be bonkers with a healthy Jimmy, McKinnon and hopefully that pass rusher.

So bad luck is bad luck and that's the breaks. But there's a lot of good this season.

What was off about Jimmy's second and third games?
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaroJi00.htm
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Stud:
Meh, just disappear, one of us will take over for you.

You lost me 2 years ago when you started whining about the treatment of Kaepernick by Bills fans. Basically implying that Kap had a right to freely express himself but Bill's fans didn't. Very hypocritical of you, not to mention nobody cared about your opinion on the matter since you were supposed to be talking about your thoughts after the game. You know, the game itself.

Plus as proof above, you seem to have issues with peoples opinions you don't like. Maybe you should step aside and let someone else do it.

Stud's still butthurt about Marvin's opinion on dumbs**t Bill's fans two years after the fact? LOL
That is not an acceptable response. In effect, you are calling someone a racist.

I said that because he's a rabid Kap hater. My warning should be rescinded, because I didn't call him a racist. You just came to your own conclusion.
  • dj43

I said that because he's a rabid Kap hater. My warning should be rescinded, because I didn't call him a racist. You just came to your own conclusion.

Go back and read NYniner85's description of what was going on in Buffalo at that time. Clearly racist stuff. Your statement that Stud would have been in the middle of that is clearly calling him a racist.

If you have a problem with the warning, take it to the mods and it will be discussed.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I was at that game and bills fans were hanging Kap blowup dolls from trees (how's that for racist) they were selling shirts with Kap's face and a bullseye around it. They were punching/tackling Kap dolls saying about every racist thing you could think of. Give me a break with that s**t. Freedom of speech and being a fan is one thing....and then there's been a redneck hillbilly racist that was so graciously excepted by a massive amount of people.

Here's a thought, you don't like Marvin's comments or options don't read them...pretty simple.

Stud would've thought he died and went to heaven if he were there

We can't make fun of PBM?
Go back and read NYniner85's description of what was going on in Buffalo at that time. Clearly racist stuff. Your statement that Stud would have been in the middle of that is clearly calling him a racist.

If you have a problem with the warning, take it to the mods and it will be discussed.

No it's not calling him a racist. You're putting those words in my mouth, but whatever.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We can't make fun of PBM?

Not me, not on his watch. Literally put words in my mouth to give me a warning lol
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Nov 15, 2018 at 5:48 PM ]

• dj43

No it's not calling him a racist. You're putting those words in my mouth, but whatever.

As I said, take it to the mods. I have no problem rescinding it if the others agree I should.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastie:
And others have forgotten that even Matty Ice's production dropped off in his second year under Kyle's leadership, but picked up significantly in year three. In year one JG was winging it due to lack of time with the offense. In year two he was trying to go through progressions and follow the thought process of Kyle in play design. Hopefully in year three he won't need to think so much and just let it flow. Taylor is recovering from back surgery and that may have slowed him down. Next year he should be his spry self again. As for Goodwin, he should be much healthier next year and able to stay that way especially when Mckinnon returns. The O-line will have a full year under it's belt and they should be much better as a unit.
I wonder if taylor will be the odd man out IF the team actually upgrades the wide outs and actually gets a bigger target after this failed experiment with little short skinny guys, the o line has been pretty decent to me. our new center is a bit distressing at times and i wonder how much longer staley will hold on, i am not jimmy hating mind you. i think he struggled at times because the o line was not good in pass protection and the nfl figured out what to do with our little wide outs. had lynch went and got josh before the chiefs game. there is a good chance jimmy never would have got hurt in my opinion
With Jimmy G we're obviously a playoff team this year. And with the emergence of Matt Brieda and George Kittle next season will be bonkers with a healthy Jimmy, McKinnon and hopefully that pass rusher.

So bad luck is bad luck and that's the breaks. But there's a lot of good this season.

He's 100% right.

Cardinals 2x
Gb
Chargers
Nyg

That's 7-3 and right up there with easy games to go. Are you saying with jimmy we wouldn't of beat the above teams? Lulz.

sorry 7-3
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:

Horrible post. Detroit STILL had to score a td to win at the 6 yard line. Then jimmy was doing good against det so he could of scored as well. Wow. Too funny 😂 . If you want to talk about IF this or that see the Vikings game with all the ifs. You are judging jimmy against 2 of the great teams in football. Kc and minn away games and home openers???? Ok.
[ Edited by elguapo on Nov 16, 2018 at 1:13 AM ]
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

What was off about Jimmy's second and third games?
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaroJi00.htm

Based off of those stats, James had a YPA of 8.1 this season, bringing his career YPA to 8.2. His career YPA at the end of last season was 8.3.

YPA for each season of his career:
2014 - 6.7
2015 - 1.5 (4 attempts)
2016 - 8.0
2017 - 8.8
2018 - 8.1

Pretty damn good if you asked me. The lower completion percentage was not ideal but when the ball is actually caught, the yardage gained is just as good if not better than last year (it's yards per attempt, not yards per completion).

YPA is an overall production stat. It's the best overall stat to see how well the QB pushes the ball downfield, as a high completion percentage can be the result of a low YPA.

His completion percentage with the Patriots were slightly better in individual years than last year with the Niners, which ought to make sense given more knowledge of system and better receivers.

Comparison with former 49er QBs with their best YPA:

Alex Smith 2012 - 8.0
Alex Smith 2017 - 8.0
Colin Kaepernick 2012 - 8.6

Every other season for both of these two ex Niner QBs were all below 8.0.

Russell Wilson 2015 - 8.3
Russell Wilson 2013 - 8.2

Every other NFL season, below 8.0 for Wilson, including this season so far.

The stats show that James is a very good QB.

The other QBs mentioned above have had some good seasons with YPA but mostly due to having ballers supporting them and not having to do as much as James. Kap's 8.6 was all about taking the league by storm with two freak TEs, Crab, Moss, Gore, OL, etc. while Wilson is all about hitting 4 bombs a game to inflate his YPA. Smith's 2012 is related to Kap's 2012, while his 2017 was a breakout season with the best skill players in the NFL.

If/when James gets a real supporting cast and comfort in the system, I think he will safely be a 9.0+ YPA QB for a season and 8.0+ for career.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Nov 16, 2018 at 5:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone