LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 385 users in the forums

Week 10: Lessons Learned This Game & This Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I would love to know who they've got on their list currently as top targets to pursue.

Just a note on receivers. I don't know how many of you saw the Auburn game last week but the put in a true freshman receiver who ran 10.03 in his high school state championships last year. He was at least 5 yards ahead of the guy that ran 10.3 in second place. There is no one that I no of that is that fast in the NFL and this kid is only 18. I don't know what his 40 is but it must be fast because the film I saw had him bursting out of the blocks and running away from everyone. I have no idea if he can catch but if he can he will be a real threat in about 3 or 4 years.
I learned that the Giants scored more than us in week 10.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I would love to know who they've got on their list currently as top targets to pursue.

TK mentioned that had JG not gone down, they were going to be in the mix for a big trade (Brown, Jones etc) but abandoned that after he got injured. I think an FA addition like Williams coupled with JG and McKinnon coming back (and hopefully the emergence of Pettis) will help out this WR corps dramatically

That's very interesting. Essentially, we passed on coughing up picks for a guy who would probably get frustrated and leave after the season playing with second and third string quarterbacks.

The big three the team should consider are Williams, Moncrief, and Tate in free agency. I'm very curious who might be available in a trade after the season though.

The only players off hand that I can think of who are disgruntled and/or entering contract years that could reasonably come here are:

-Desean Jackson
-Jordy Nelson
-Tyler boyd
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 14, 2018 at 5:27 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

TK mentioned that had JG not gone down, they were going to be in the mix for a big trade (Brown, Jones etc) but abandoned that after he got injured. I think an FA addition like Williams coupled with JG and McKinnon coming back (and hopefully the emergence of Pettis) will help out this WR corps dramatically

That's very interesting. Essentially, we passed on coughing up picks for a guy who would probably get frustrated and leave after the season playing with second and third string quarterbacks.

The big three the team should consider are Williams, Moncrief, and Tate in free agency. I'm very curious who might be available in a trade after the season though.

The only players off hand that I can think of who are disgruntled and/or entering contract years that could reasonably come here are:

-Desean Jackson
-Jordy Nelson
-Tyler boyd

Tyrell Williams is a tall, speedy receiver that would add a new wrinkle to our offense. Chris Conley is another tall and speedy receiver that can get some separation. Similar for Moncrief.

One dark horse is Kevin White as a low risk signing. While he's basically inactive now on game days, dude has shown flashes as a fantastic blocking receiver. I'd love to convert him to a TE.

WR: Williams/Pettis
WR: Goodwin/Conley
WR: James/Bourne

TE: Kittle/White/Celek
Originally posted by nj9er:
I don't think this team is as far away as you may think. We lost 7 of 8 games in the last 3-4 minutes of each game. A lot of that is coaching on both sides of the ball. At the end of last nights game he became conservative and settled for a field goal to take the lead instead of going for touchdown. On defense with a terrible Giants line we only blitzed one time for our only sack?

I like Shanahan and what he has done on offense with all 3 QBs we have been able to move ball and generate points but I think the Superbowl meltdown has cursed him late in 4th quarter.

As for talent if we get an elite pass rushing linebacker paired with Buckner it will be like Smith & Smith all over again and the rest of the Defense will improve almost instantly.

On offense we need a diversity at the WR position somebody that will win contested passes.
sorry, disagree about the superbowl and shanahan curse. There is a time where a player needs to win their battle and make a play--it's not happening on offense and that is NOT because of play call or design.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GEEK:

-Desean Jackson
-Jordy Nelson
-Tyler boyd

Tyrell Williams is a tall, speedy receiver that would add a new wrinkle to our offense. Chris Conley is another tall and speedy receiver that can get some separation. Similar for Moncrief.

One dark horse is Kevin White as a low risk signing. While he's basically inactive now on game days, dude has shown flashes as a fantastic blocking receiver. I'd love to convert him to a TE.

Conley might leave KC because he is running behind Sammy Watkins, who the Chiefs brought in because they were not sure if Conley could come back from his injury. He is fast (4.35 combine 40) and has good size, 6'2", 210. He hasn't been targeted much this season. As of now, he is still in the "potential" category, not a proven performer. Looks like a #2/3. Better than anyone we have now but...
Originally posted by dj43:

-Desean Jackson
-Jordy Nelson
-Tyler boyd

Conley might leave KC because he is running behind Sammy Watkins, who the Chiefs brought in because they were not sure if Conley could come back from his injury. He is fast (4.35 combine 40) and has good size, 6'2", 210. He hasn't been targeted much this season. As of now, he is still in the "potential" category, not a proven performer. Looks like a #2/3. Better than anyone we have now but...

Not particularly high on Conley, doesn't strike me as "on the cusp of long term legitimacy" like Donte and Tyrell. Both have off the charts athleticism, Williams even more so, plus nearly 6-4 height. I don't think we've thrown a fade all season. I mean, who's gonna go get it? Unfortunately we don't have anyone but Kittle able to make contested catches. Everyone else flips them directly into the nearest defenders hands, Madden-style.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 14, 2018 at 10:03 AM ]
  • dj43

-Desean Jackson
-Jordy Nelson
-Tyler boyd

Not particularly high on Conley, doesn't strike me as "on the cusp of long term legitimacy" like Donte and Tyrell. Both have off the charts athleticism, Williams even more so, plus nearly 6-4 height. I don't think we've thrown a fade all season. I mean, who's gonna go get it? Unfortunately we don't have anyone but Kittle able to make contested catches. Everyone else flips them directly into the nearest defenders hands, Madden-style.

He was beginning to come on at the beginning of last year but has not been anything special this season. Mostly just a 3rd WR/blocker on bubble screens and the like.

-Desean Jackson
-Jordy Nelson
-Tyler boyd

He was beginning to come on at the beginning of last year but has not been anything special this season. Mostly just a 3rd WR/blocker on bubble screens and the like.

There aren't a lot of receiver prospects that excite me in the draft. Combine numbers don't mean much unless you're either a) extremely slow, or b) extremely weak (but even then there are outliers like Landry and Boldin). So I'm heavily focused on film work, but I'm seeing a lot of mid range guys that are boom or bust depending on development.

I want us to invest a minimum of two picks on DE. I want to trade if we have a top three pick and then go BPA, depending on the circumstances. I am not opposed to adding a great pass rushing DT. We have plenty of rum stuffing DT, but no game changers after Buck.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 14, 2018 at 12:44 PM ]
There aren't a lot of receiver prospects that excite me in the draft. Combine numbers don't mean much unless you're either a) extremely slow, or b) extremely weak (but even then there are outliers like Landry and Boldin). So I'm heavily focused on film work, but I'm seeing a lot of mid range guys that are boom or bust depending on development.

I want us to invest a minimum of two picks on DE. I want to trade if we have a top three pick and then go BPA, depending on the circumstances. I am not opposed to adding a great pass rushing DT. We have plenty of rum stuffing DT, but no game changers after Buck.

No more DTs, please! At least not for awhile. I argued against picking Solly for that reason . Focus on 2 ERs and 1 CB and let's go on from there.

• dj43

-Desean Jackson
-Jordy Nelson
-Tyler boyd

I haven't the time to look at college guys but I do know we must find a WR threat, whether that be Williams or Moncrief or somebody in a trade for one of our excess DTs, that need must be met.

Edge pressure is a must. Watching the Giants blocking our front four with relative ease showed that once again. Not only will it make the entire secondary look better, it will free Buckner from all the double teams he faces. I agree a trade is the play unless an ED is there at our number.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

No more DTs, please! At least not for awhile. I argued against picking Solly for that reason . Focus on 2 ERs and 1 CB and let's go on from there.

It's clear they thought he could be an edge rusher who could play all along the line but he has neither the bend nor power to win outside consistently and is not much more than a solid inside player. Perhaps they thought he could be Donald or Bennett, but unfortunately he seems to be a more just an athletic tweener and a poor fit in a 4-3, which he didn't play in college, and seems he'd be better off as an edge setting 3-4 end.

If we got a serious pass rushing tackle AND the edge defenders we'd tremendously bolster our arsenal of "finishers" which we desperately need on the line.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 14, 2018 at 7:03 PM ]
Frank Gore is not man

He is machine
  • jcs
  • Veteran

-Desean Jackson
-Jordy Nelson
-Tyler boyd

We only have 6 picks next year, I doubt 2 go to DE.
Originally posted by jcs:

-Desean Jackson
-Jordy Nelson
-Tyler boyd

We only have 6 picks next year, I doubt 2 go to DE.

I doubt it, too, but I really think we should. Who knows when we'll get such a rich prospect opportunity again?
Share 49ersWebzone