There are 167 users in the forums

What bothers you about the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
The fact that Jed hired a rookie GM with no front office experience to go with a rookie Head Coach. I think Kyle could/will be a great coach in the mold of Andy Reid and Sean Payton. I'm just worried that Lynch is going to waste his opportunity to be that great coach with us. I just hope that Jed sees this and sticks with Kyle for the long haul.
Originally posted by KID9R:
The fact that Jed hired a rookie GM with no front office experience to go with a rookie Head Coach. I think Kyle could/will be a great coach in the mold of Andy Reid and Sean Payton. I'm just worried that Lynch is going to waste his opportunity to be that great coach with us. I just hope that Jed sees this and sticks with Kyle for the long haul.

Why does the fact that Lynch is a rookie bother you. All GM's were rookies at one time. Everyone on this forum seems to think they could do a better job and how much experience do they have?
The fact our fans are such impatient crybabies with unrealistically high expectations. but, some of their concern is obviously justified despite all the unlucky misfortunes we've had to endure this year.
That under Paraag's watch, outside of a FQB, we've never secured one free agent or trade that exceeded $10M APY in an era where free agency is all about the double digit market. We've never gone above Staley's contract in any year IIRC. I believe that is by design.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 28, 2018 at 7:06 AM ]
The York's sold our beloved team to the South Bay. It will always be the armpit of the bay. We are cursed.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Nov 28, 2018 at 8:13 AM ]
The only good thing is our history before the York's.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Robert Saleh
This year has been unfortunate due mainly to injuries. No team could recover from the starting positions we have lost. My concerns would be:
1. Drafting - Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster specifically.
2. Team seems soft to me. Seem to lose every 50/50 ball, and our player goes down to injury in collisions.
3. Don't see any position group improving week to week (aside from TE and RB).

Positives
1. Kittle
2. Breida
3. Buckner

I am just venting because we had high hopes for this season. And every Sunday is disappointing.
Originally posted by NCommand:
That under Paraag's watch, outside of a FQB, we've never secured one free agent or trade that exceeded $10M APY in an era where free agency is all about the double digit market. We've never gone above Staley's contract in any year IIRC. I believe that is by design.

Who has been worth it other than maybe Cowboy, Bowman, Gore, or Willis? I'm not defending this approach, I'm just saying the market for those players didn't exceed the 10M APY mark. It could be by design, but again who's has been worth that number previously? I think now that the market is clearly shifting, we should see more of that on team - like for Buckner possibly and if they plan on diving into free agency and extending Staley for a couple of year to market adjust him properly, this should happen. I think this is a wait-and-see.

Footnote: We have called JG a FQB. Due to injury and opportunity, has he produced like one?
That we leave the opposing teams best reciever wide open at least once a game, if not more often. By wide open I mean no one covering him at the snap, and him running free the entire play. This is has got to stop!

Why wouldn't we call time out if the opponents best wide reciever is uncovered in the red zone pre snap?

Nice post GM, but i see NC's side also. We have very definitely avoided any high priced player, altho the ones that have been there....weren't to my liking. Still, if one comes available, say at DB or ER (LB, eg Mack)....that is where i would blow some 10+ mil dough. With Mack it was more player debt than $$ so that is a poor example. But Command's point is well taken. Just has to be a guy worth the bucks and at a slot ,, ER , DB, LB . WR1 (all ELITES) where that kind of money is justified.
They suck.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I mean, Garappalo should definitely count. And Sherman should too. Under Baalke - especially after the mass exodus in 2013 - I 100% agree.
I strongly believe this front office and coaching staff deserve more patience - especially with us not having our franchise QB, franchise Rb, and them deciding to wait one more year in the rebuild for the franchise EDGE. I think they've made a lot of good moves...

And a lot of questionable moves like..

1. Solomon Thomas. In a rough draft slot, we still should've gotten a much better talent. I wanted Malik Hooker or Lattimore. It's depressing that if we lost one of those stupid games in 2016, we'd have had Myles Garrett and the storyline about that 2016 draft would be different.

2. McKinnon - I don't think many RBs have ever warranted that kind of contract. That front loading of it as well means that we're taking a lot of the risk (we can cut him later but the damage is done in the rollover cap era). It's very unfortunate that he got injured and we couldn't see if his value was warranted. I trust Shannys evaluations but that was an overpay for sure. Who pays an unproven RB that kind of money.

3. We traded Trent Brown for next to nothing. I think he had more value if we waited through the offseason.

4. Reuben Foster - I cant blame them for the risk reward but regardless, it was a disappointing mistake.

5. Weston Richburg - He's the guy I really wanted in free agency. We gave him a huge contract for a C. And he's had a bad year. Mistake so far.

6. Overdrafting - CJ Beathard, Pettis, Street - it sounds like we took these guys way too high. And we traded up for two of them. I'm probably missing a few more.

7. Kapri Bibbs - waste of a 4th that nobody's talking about.

8. Jimmy Ward 5th year option - didn't make sense for a backup. Obviously.

9. Armstead 5th year option - won't do much harm unless he gets injured but they've got to revoke that after the year.

10. Malcolm smith, Earl Mitchell, Brian Hoyer, Jonathan Cooper - mistake signings.

11. Not getting Josh Gordon - Worth the risk.

12. Defensive regression - the wild regression on defense from so many key members - Foster, Tartt, Spoon, Ward, Colbert and the plateau of Solly. That type of regression points to the defensive coaches - assistants as well as the DC

I argue with many people on here about a lot of their "issues" with the front office that I just don't agree with. But these are the things that bother me.
[ Edited by Wewillwin on Nov 28, 2018 at 9:53 AM ]
Shanahan's blaming his players (Mullens, secondary, etc.) is a bad sign. It ignores his own mistakes in his position as head coach. It may indicate that he is in denial about his system's drawbacks or in improving as a coach.

Specifically, his team's low rate TDs when in the redzone is telling. The Niners have had success between the 20-yard lines. But his smaller and quicker receivers and OL seem to lose their effectiveness in the redzone. Will Shanahan review his system and perhaps improve it? For instance, should he have at least one mammoth OL for the redzone even if he plays only on short yardage and the goalline? Or a reserve tall receiver in those situations?

Shanahan's drafting of Pettis last year, even moving up for him, suggests that Shanahan wants only more of the same. The head coach and GM should not be fired IMO. But success may be improved by an experienced GM that can push the FO to better personnel decisions.
Share 49erswebzone