LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

What bothers you about the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the w/l column.
It bothers me when the opponent scores more points than our Niners.
I mean 3 or 4 times a year is reasonable, but definitely no more than 7.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
It really is amazing how much losing your starting QB can destroy a team.

Texans last season went from 3-4 to 4-12 after the Watson injury. The Packers since 2013 without Rodgers are I want to say something like 5-12-1. Even the Dolphins have been looking lost on defense since they lost Tannehill. Something about losing your starting QB just ruins a team. It's more than just "They don't have the best guy running their offense." It's "We feel hopeless without our best guy running our offense."

The only exception is the 2017 Eagles, which people love bringing up over and over again. Stop it. The Eagles had the #1 seed locked up when Wentz got hurt and their front 7 was arguably the best in football last season. All the injuries I mentioned happened in the former half of the season. It's not even comparable.

So true
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
I would argue it's the other way around. Shanahan is getting decent production from guys on offense while Saleh is being out-coached weekly. Guys are constantly lined up wrong, communication issues, playing guys out of position, playing AA.

Big time! I just love one for receivers are on one side of a formation and there's only two defenders guarding them? That is high school stuff
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
It really is amazing how much losing your starting QB can destroy a team.

Texans last season went from 3-4 to 4-12 after the Watson injury. The Packers since 2013 without Rodgers are I want to say something like 5-12-1. Even the Dolphins have been looking lost on defense since they lost Tannehill. Something about losing your starting QB just ruins a team. It's more than just "They don't have the best guy running their offense." It's "We feel hopeless without our best guy running our offense."

The only exception is the 2017 Eagles, which people love bringing up over and over again. Stop it. The Eagles had the #1 seed locked up when Wentz got hurt and their front 7 was arguably the best in football last season. All the injuries I mentioned happened in the former half of the season. It's not even comparable.

So true

Garoppolo was 1 - 2. A losing record. That's not exactly setting the world on fire. Once they got the film on him from last year the NFL figured him out. He was not winning this year. He was LOSING. This team is not that great including him. There was nothing winning about our program with Garoppolo in there at least for this year anyway.
Tom Brady had one win and two losses to open the year as well. And he did not play hard teams, he lost to detroit and was doing nothing but losing Against weaker competition. The logic in here just defies me. I guess teams figured Tom Brady out. Tom Brady was LOSING!
Tom Brady had one win and two losses to open the year as well. And he did not play hard teams, he lost to detroit and was doing nothing but losing Against weaker competition. The logic in here just defies me. I guess teams figured Tom Brady out. Tom Brady was LOSING!

This.

At the same time, none of us KNOW. To me, it looked like Garoppolo was just not settled in the "robust" Shanahan playbook. Not to mention, the rest of the offense wasn't either. Add to that, McKinnon's injury and a lack of TOP talent at the WR position...his 1-2 record made sense. I thought the offense would have picked it up but the injury bug spread BADLY!

I really think the offense could take a HUGE step next year if two things happen: Add more talent and stay healthy.

Now the defense...Jesus Christ, that's a different story.
[ Edited by Giants9ersfan on Oct 27, 2018 at 8:54 AM ]

Be that as it may, I think its pretty clear the Jimmy G of 2018 was not the same as the one in 2017.

* Accuracy Issues
* Lack of touch - throwing everything on a rope
* Overthrowing the ball
* Holding on to the ball and taking unnecessary sacks
* General lack of internal clock an pocket presence

I'm not saying that's the true Jimmy. I pray he returns to 2017 form, but lets not pretend he was playing at a high level.

Edit: And the continuation of his poor TD/INT ratio. Remind me, didn't he have a 3 INT game?
2nd Edit: That's one more issue I have with this regime. They don't seem to emphasize ball security enough be it on running plays or passing. CJ has 7 interceptions to 7 TDs. Jimmy has 3 INTs to 5 TDs and our RB and Returners seem to cough up the ball more than they should. Prior to KS, ball security was a big deal. Both Alex Smith and Kap where excellent at taking care of the rock and I probably don't even have to mention Gore. We where spoiled and it was a trait highly underrated.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 27, 2018 at 9:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Be that as it may, I think its pretty clear the Jimmy G of 2018 was not the same as the one in 2017.

* Accuracy Issues
* Overthrowing the ball

I'm not saying that's the true Jimmy. I pray he returns to 2017 form, but lets not pretend he was playing at a high level.

Edit: And the continuation of his poor TD/INT ratio. Remind me, didn't he have a 3 INT game?
2nd Edit: That's one more issue I have with this regime. They don't seem to emphasize ball security enough be it on running plays or passing. CJ has 7 interceptions to 7 TDs. Jimmy has 3 INTs to 5 TDs and our RB and Returners seem to cough up the ball more than they should. Prior to KS, ball security was a big deal. Both Alex Smith and Kap where excellent at taking care of the rock and I probably don't even have to mention Gore. We where spoiled and it was a trait highly underrated.

The point I was making is with Jimmy Garoppolo wether he is not playing as good as he was, he still was good enough to win the Chargers the Cardinals and the Packers. That's not even debatable in my opinion.

He is also good enough to win most if not all of the upcoming games on the schedule. That's my point whether he regressed or not he still was doing good. I think people need to consider he was playing against the Minnesota Vikings defense on the road during a home opener. Kansas City was ridiculous and it was their home opener. Before making these judgments I don't know why people don't consider we pretty much had the hardest opening schedule of any team. I can't believe some of you are neglecting that. Also, when a receiver runs the wrong route and there is an interception thrown, I don't know why people put that on Jimmy. Just like the interception that CJ threw at the goal line that was not his fault either against the chargers. However, be that as it may with Jimmy we are a wildcard team or at the very least a winning team. As far as turnovers Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Andrew luck have all struggled with turnovers but the place they make far outweigh the turnovers. Who cares about Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick they couldn't do half of what Jimmy can do

Tom Brady is not playing as good as he usually does,
Aaron Rodgers is taking a lot of sacks and missing a lot of throws, that does not mean anything really so the point people are trying to make is kind of short sighted and irrelevant relevant.

Good quarterbacks go through struggles From time to time and in Jimmy's case he has no help like unlike those other quarterbacks I mentioned not to mention a way harder schedule. Jimmy was not the one losing against Detroit like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. That is not saying he is as good but that is saying he might be playing just about as good this year considering the competition hes faced. Maybe Think about that
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 27, 2018 at 10:07 AM ]

What bothers me is how much injury trouble they have. Is it just terrible luck or does it have something to do with the training staff? I don't know. But sans all the injuries, I think the fanbase would be singing a different tune now. I mean, some of it has obviously been freak accidents, maybe Shanny's love of really fast players (which tend to be more frail). Then you have guys like Foster who play in a way that encourages injury, and now he went from looking like a star to looking like crap. I really don't agree with them continuing to play him while injured. I know he may want to play, but s**t his ass and let his shoulder heal damn it.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

* Accuracy Issues
* Overthrowing the ball

The point I was making is with Jimmy Garoppolo wether he is not playing as good as he was, he still was good enough to win the Chargers the Cardinals and the Packers. That's not even debatable in my opinion.

He is also good enough to win most if not all of the upcoming games on the schedule. That's my point whether he regressed or not he still was doing good. I think people need to consider he was playing against the Minnesota Vikings defense on the road during a home opener. Kansas City was ridiculous and it was their home opener. Before making these judgments I don't know why people don't consider we pretty much had the hardest opening schedule of any team. I can't believe some of you are neglecting that. Also, when a receiver runs the wrong route and there is an interception thrown, I don't know why people put that on Jimmy. Just like the interception that CJ threw at the goal line that was not his fault either against the chargers. However, be that as it may with Jimmy we are a wildcard team or at the very least a winning team. As far as turnovers Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Andrew luck have all struggled with turnovers but the place they make far outweigh the turnovers. Who cares about Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick they couldn't do half of what Jimmy can do

Tom Brady is not playing as good as he usually does,
Aaron Rodgers is taking a lot of sacks and missing a lot of throws, that does not mean anything really so the point people are trying to make is kind of short sighted and irrelevant relevant.

Good quarterbacks go through struggles From time to time and in Jimmy's case he has no help like unlike those other quarterbacks I mentioned not to mention a way harder schedule. Jimmy was not the one losing against Detroit like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. That is not saying he is as good but that is saying he might be playing just about as good this year considering the competition hes faced. Maybe Think about that

The Viking have proven they are not as dominate on D as they where the year before. KC had one of the worst defenses going into our game with them.
I also saw a stat at the beginning of the Rams game that showed CJ was scoring more points per game then when Jimmy was starting.

We agree that Jimmy is much better than CJ, but I don't know he is the magical elixir unless he returns to 2017 form.

Finally, the QB you've mentioned have proven track records which spans a decade. They earn the benefit of the doubt. Jimmy still has a lot to prove he's not the next Matt Cassell ( I don't think he is).
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 27, 2018 at 10:37 AM ]
Hey guys I'm new here but I've been a Niner fan since the late 60's. I guess what bothers me most is current ownership. Jed is a reckless owner that knows zilch about the game of football. That's what happens when you're born with a silver spoon and no Eddie D or Policy to bail you out of stupid decisions. Latest being Lynch at GM. I mean no offence to Lynch but most GM's were lawyers and CEOs early in life. I hated the Garoppolo acquisition I wanted Trubisky or Cousins. I hated the Reuben Foster pick it was risky and every team knew about the shoulder issue not to mention the scrapes with the law. McKinnon low key was known to be made of glass. I hated the Solomon Thomas pick I wanted Cam Robinson who could have nabbed instead of Foster. Anyways always faithful but we need changes. We're at least 3 years from being competitive tbh I feel bad for Sherman because of the hype train our fan base places on this pathetic team.
Injuries for 5 straight years now.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Injuries for 5 straight years now.

Is it still bad luck when it's 5 strait years in a row?
Share 49ersWebzone