LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

2019 Defensive Progress & Robert Saleh Hot-seat Tracker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Kyle starting to coach up the defensive players now.

"That's something we're working through with him," Shanahan said. "I do think he had his best week of practice last week, which I had a good talk with Ahkello about that before the game. It was the most encouraged we had been with him, last week through practice. I think Ahkello will be there, exactly where he was at last year. I expect him to get better from that. It hasn't happened right away, but he's going in the right direction now and I expect it to continue."
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 17, 2018 at 4:38 PM ]
Here's someone else to share the blame.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/10/17/17988112/fred-warner-49ers-defense-rookie-packers
Man, this is a tough sell in this forum. Stats are one thing, and yes, the Niners could use a few better pieces at every level of the defense. Is it all coaching or is it the players? Wish I was smart enough to tell the difference. I think it's a bit of both. Guess the front office will have to decide if they will give Saleh another year with hopefully better talent in the blatant areas of need to prove whether he's got the right stuff.
Originally posted by NCommand:

"That's something we're working through with him," Shanahan said. "I do think he had his best week of practice last week, which I had a good talk with Ahkello about that before the game. It was the most encouraged we had been with him, last week through practice. I think Ahkello will be there, exactly where he was at last year. I expect him to get better from that. It hasn't happened right away, but he's going in the right direction now and I expect it to continue."

why isn't Lynch coaching the DBs like Baalke used to do?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yeah, I mean, like I said, I think they felt he would get it down eventually but the team is likely suffering growing pains it didn't have last year in terms of communication because we had a veteran experienced in the system (Coyle) relaying the calls. Now it makes sense why they liked him so much. We didn't blow coverage like we are now, but the plays we gave up came more due to simple lack of physical ability compared to the opponent.

I get that without Malcolm in the first two games, winning one of them, they probably felt we didn't need to take the radio from Warner but now it's clear that was a mistake. Yes, the coach takes blame for that one. My take is that Malcolm should be the one with the radio now. No reason to keep it with Warner until he knows the defense inside and out like a veteran.

Malcolm isn't on the field enough to wear the green dot, it has to be Warner or Foster, we already know Foster hates doing it so may as well let Warner grow into in the role.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

why isn't Lynch coaching the DBs like Baalke used to do?

That's what I'm saying!!!
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
You cited non-contributing players as "resources" for the defense.
The offense has received much more resources. They got a above average starter on the OL and a FQB in the past year while the defense got Sherman, a ST player and a Trent Baalke ACL special.

What?

Jimmy G is more resources than Moore, Sherman and Reed combined. The OL also got a high quality starting tackle in the draft. Tell me you are not measuring resources in "bodies".
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by evil:
Truth.

Bumps and bruises... have to deal with the growing pains unless we put Malcolm at MIKE. Then do you try Fred at SAM or have him ride the pine learning and contributing on ST's.

I mean, Brock Coyle hardly knew this defense and the communication was fine.

Saleh must be adding a large number of wrinkles other than just Cover 3.

Played more man and have thrown in different blitz packages this year since we are pass rush deficient.

Thl and Jonnydel would better be able to answer the concern with more wrinkles being added in given the amount of tape they have combed through.
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Why does this idiot get and deserve 3 threads
Poor guy has no hair. Give him something.

😂😂😂😂👍
F'in hilarious!!
Saleh was brought in because he fit the suit. He was familiar to Kyle and with the scheme Shanahan wanted run.
Sherman talks about the scheme being sound but that doesn't mean the players are prepared.
As pointed out in other threads, either defensive coaches are bad teachers or the players are dummies

The offense has received much more resources. They got a above average starter on the OL and a FQB in the past year while the defense got Sherman, a ST player and a Trent Baalke ACL special.

What?

Jimmy G is more resources than Moore, Sherman and Reed combined. The OL also got a high quality starting tackle in the draft. Tell me you are not measuring resources in "bodies".

He was had for a 2nd.

We spent our first 3 draft picks of the Shanahan era on defense. LOL

Outside of McGlinchey and moving up for Pettis this year, we haven't spent any resources on offense. And Sherman has been the best shut down CB in the league. Then, this year, they still added Fred Warner and Tarvarius Moore (for 2019), Kentavius Street, D.J. Reed, Marcell Harris & Jullian Taylor.

Shanahan took a late third round: C.J. Beathard, fifth round: George Kittle and fifth round: Trent Taylor and made them serviceable and in Kittle's case, a star. Richie James in the seventh. He's next.

For an offensive HC, he certainly has used most of his resources on defense.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 17, 2018 at 6:12 PM ]
Truth.

Bumps and bruises... have to deal with the growing pains unless we put Malcolm at MIKE. Then do you try Fred at SAM or have him ride the pine learning and contributing on ST's.

I mean, Brock Coyle hardly knew this defense and the communication was fine.

Saleh must be adding a large number of wrinkles other than just Cover 3.

Played more man and have thrown in different blitz packages this year since we are pass rush deficient.

Thl and Jonnydel would better be able to answer the concern with more wrinkles being added in given the amount of tape they have combed through.

Agreed. It was just a theory given how confused they look now. Adding complexity is all I've got.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yeah, I mean, like I said, I think they felt he would get it down eventually but the team is likely suffering growing pains it didn't have last year in terms of communication because we had a veteran experienced in the system (Coyle) relaying the calls. Now it makes sense why they liked him so much. We didn't blow coverage like we are now, but the plays we gave up came more due to simple lack of physical ability compared to the opponent.

I get that without Malcolm in the first two games, winning one of them, they probably felt we didn't need to take the radio from Warner but now it's clear that was a mistake. Yes, the coach takes blame for that one. My take is that Malcolm should be the one with the radio now. No reason to keep it with Warner until he knows the defense inside and out like a veteran.

Malcolm isn't on the field enough to wear the green dot, it has to be Warner or Foster, we already know Foster hates doing it so may as well let Warner grow into in the role.

Point taken, we may have to suffer more breakdowns until Warner is up to speed well enough to get communication right.

What?

He was had for a 2nd.

We spent our first 3 draft picks of the Shanahan era on defense. LOL

Outside of McGlinchey and moving up for Pettis this year, we haven't spent any resources on offense. And Sherman has been the best shut down CB in the league. Then, this year, they still added Fred Warner and Tarvarius Moore (for 2019), Kentavius Street, D.J. Reed, Marcell Harris & Jullian Taylor.

Shanahan took a late third round: C.J. Beathard, fifth round: George Kittle and fifth round: Trent Taylor and made them serviceable and in Kittle's case, a star. Richie James in the seventh. He's next.

For an offensive HC, he certainly has used most of his resources on defense.

Who cares if they suck? I consider "resources" for a defense to be something that provides value. Sherman provides value, Warner is learning. the others are meh at best.
Who cares if they suck? I consider "resources" for a defense to be something that provides value. Sherman provides value, Warner is learning. the others are meh at best.

Oh, so now, spending resources only counts if they are all pros. Haha...got it.
Share 49ersWebzone