There are 160 users in the forums

2019 Defensive Progress & Robert Saleh Hot-seat Tracker

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
And hire who?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
And hire who?

no point in firing him mid season. But if we did it might be midseason we would do an internal hiring for now and my candidates would be demeco ryans or chris kiffin... which doesn't inspire confidence at all...
Seriously who could come in here in mid season and take a team with a decimated secondary and no pass rushers and make a difference. If any change is made I hope they wait until the off season. Then I hope they bring in someone who uses a similar scheme so we don't have to bring in a whole group of new players with different skill sets to learn a new system. Another 2-3 year building program. And who knows if the next guy would be better; he could be worse.
Seriously who could come in here in mid season and take a team with a decimated secondary and no pass rushers and make a difference. If any change is made I hope they wait until the off season. Then I hope they bring in someone who uses a similar scheme so we don't have to bring in a whole group of new players with different skill sets to learn a new system. Another 2-3 year building program. And who knows if the next guy would be better; he could be worse.

If Kyle wants to run the same scheme, the candidates are not that sexy. Kris Richard is a name out there.

maybe Dan Quinn if he gets fired. But his defense sucks too.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

If Kyle wants to run the same scheme, the candidates are not that sexy. Kris Richard is a name out there.

I think we give him at least these next few games. If he lets one of these offenses put up serious points on us.. it might be time to make a move. i'm hoping everybody on D steps up for these last 9 games against almost all bottom-half teams.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

If we can get at least a middle of the road DC, I would be okay with that. Give Kyle some talent instead of assuming his scheme can turn water into wine and we can score points with jimmy leading the way.
By Comparison...

2017 49ers Rankings:

Turnovers forced - 20th
PPG - 25th
Total yards per game - 24th
Pass yards per game - 22nd
Rush yards per game - 22nd

yards/play - 16th
Pass yards/play - 19th
Rush yards/play - 6th
Qb rating allowed - 24th
Third down defense - 30th
Defensive penalties - 4th

2018:

Turnovers forced - last
PPG - Last
Total yards per game - 19th
Pass yards per game - 20th
Rush yards per game - 13th

yards/play - 15th
Pass yards/play - 16th
Rush yards/play - 7th
Qb rating allowed - 27th
Third down defense - 12th
Defensive penalties - 9th

--------------------------------------------------

So far, noticeable statistical improvements have been made in:
1) rush yards, pass yards, and total yards
2) third down defense

Noticeable regression statistically is found in:
1) Defensive penalties
2) Turnovers forced
3) QB rating allowed
4) points per game
^ Good stuff OTC
Were better by 2 or 3 spots in some areas. I wouldn't say that's a noticeable difference.

We are in the same boat in pass defense. We are slightly better this year.

We are better against the run. It's really easy to pass against us, not sure if this is really an improvement or teams are not running against us as much.

We regressed in points per game. Turnovers skew this but our defense never really stops anyone whether it's a short or long field.
What bothers me are the mental mistakes that allow for big plays. There seems to be more this year. That's only my opinion. But when we don't blow coverages or line up wrong we seem to be at least decent.

Originally posted by NCommand:
^ Good stuff OTC

Last year we said as long as we drastically improved third down defense, we would be fine with marginal improvement across other areas. Problem is, we had regression in critical areas such as penalties (untimely ones at that) and inabilities to secure turnovers when the opportunity comes, or the inability to create opportunities to start.
We NeEEd 2 SwItCh BaK 2 dA 3-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Heroism:
We NeEEd 2 SwItCh BaK 2 dA 3-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
^ Good stuff OTC

Last year we said as long as we drastically improved third down defense, we would be fine with marginal improvement across other areas. Problem is, we had regression in critical areas such as penalties (untimely ones at that) and inabilities to secure turnovers when the opportunity comes, or the inability to create opportunities to start.

For real. The mental errors, regression, TO's, injuries, etc. just make it impossible to truly evaluate talent and that's very frustrating. Saleh and the position coaches aren't helping much either. Brutal year.
**facepalm**

http://twitter.com/DylanADeSimone/status/1054866520428314624
Share 49erswebzone