There are 131 users in the forums

2019 Defensive Progress & Robert Saleh Hot-seat Tracker

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Sherman said it's not Saleh's fault their defense hasn't been good...it's poor execution from the players. Shanahan's not going to fire a guy he has faith in...it's just that simple. It's obvious there are some guys who just aren't a good fit for RS's defense...Thomas tops the list in my book. Lynch will have to do a better job drafting players that are a better fit.

One of the biggest disappointments this year has been our safety play. My god we have been horrible. BothTartt and Colbert have been god awful. I swear John Lynch is probably itching to suit up and show these guys how to play. Safeties are supposed to be center fielders. But you need to have smarts and good instincts to play the position and I'm starting to think neither of them have what it takes to be successful. At least this year, they are slow to give support, are often times out of position and they aren't supporting much in the middle. Do think it would make sense to go after Earl Thomas in the off-season.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by SupremeLeader16:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
Definitely need an ER. If we can get a pro-bowl caliber ER this offseason - i think we can have a top 10 defense. We have enough talent to be there but it's hard without having even an NFL-worthy player at the most important position on your defense.

the secondary aside from sherman is a mess. you got two decent linebackers and foster is hurt alot, you got buck and thats it,.,. sorry but the talent is not there to be any sort of a top 15 defense

you and susweel, constant negativity every single day.
This is the type of thing I can't stand. How come when someone has a critique or a simple fact of something that our team lacks its negativity? Do we live in fairyland where everything is all happy and nothing goes wrong? Seems like it here in the zone.
That's why there are 3 threads on Saleh and two are there to defend him.
exactly. do you think they would allow three threads to be critical of kyle or lynch? you know its a fantasy when you hear we are the best 7 15 team or whatever kyles record is. in the history of the nfl. and stop with the . well we should be 3 2 or 4 1.please.

LOL
Heat is definitely turning up on Saleh from the fans after a blowout loss, but to be fair.. And I hate to be one to defend him because there's a lot a think Saleh isn't doing well.. you can't give a top three offense five possessions starting on your side of the field off turnovers + terrible punt coverage. Fans are angry enough as it is, but a bad week against a horrific Arizona offense would put his chair on fire.

Current defensive ranks:

Turnovers forced - last
PPG - Last
Total yards per game - 19th
Pass yards per game - 20th
Rush yards per game - 13th

yards/play - 15th
Pass yards/play - 16th
Rush yards/play - 7th
Qb rating allowed - 27th
Third down defense - 12th
Defensive penalties - 9th

Normally, you aren't last in PPG with rankings like that, but a -15 differential will certainly impact that.. That considered, his seat may not be hot at all to Kyle and Lynch..
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 23, 2018 at 9:11 AM ]
Seat is as cold as the Arctic Ocean. He is not getting fired since Kyle "believes in the scheme". They will probably go after Earl Thomas, and then draft Nick Bosa if we actually tank properly this time.

If we are still bad next season, thats when I expect changes.
Sherman said it's not Saleh's fault their defense hasn't been good...it's poor execution from the players. Shanahan's not going to fire a guy he has faith in...it's just that simple. It's obvious there are some guys who just aren't a good fit for RS's defense...Thomas tops the list in my book. Lynch will have to do a better job drafting players that are a better fit.

and the key point here is Sherman is an expert on this type of defense. Unlike many in here who claim they know what's wrong lol.
Originally posted by SupremeLeader16:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
Definitely need an ER. If we can get a pro-bowl caliber ER this offseason - i think we can have a top 10 defense. We have enough talent to be there but it's hard without having even an NFL-worthy player at the most important position on your defense.

the secondary aside from sherman is a mess. you got two decent linebackers and foster is hurt alot, you got buck and thats it,.,. sorry but the talent is not there to be any sort of a top 15 defense

you and susweel, constant negativity every single day.
This is the type of thing I can't stand. How come when someone has a critique or a simple fact of something that our team lacks its negativity? Do we live in fairyland where everything is all happy and nothing goes wrong? Seems like it here in the zone.

saying we have 4 players on defense is not a critique. It's a dramatic overstatement. Every single nfl expert or commentator would agree.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Heat is definitely turning up on Saleh from the fans after a blowout loss, but to be fair.. And I hate to be one to defend him because there's a lot a think Saleh isn't doing well.. you can't give a top three offense five possessions starting on your side of the field off turnovers + terrible punt coverage. Fans are angry enough as it is, but a bad week against a horrific Arizona offense would put his chair on fire.

Current defensive ranks:

Turnovers forced - last
PPG - Last

yards/play - 15th
Pass yards/play - 16th
Rush yards/play - 7th
Qb rating allowed - 27th

Normally, you aren't last in PPG with rankings like that, but a -15 differential will certainly impact that.. That considered, his seat may not be hot at all to Kyle and Lynch..

I agree OTC. I'd never fault the defense for offensive and special teams turnovers and piss poor field position.

What they can control at that point is giving up 3 points vs. 7. That's all they can do. Unfortunately, that's not going very well either.

My hope is that the entire defense is getting their sophomore slump out of their system all at once. Ha
Saleh will go before Shanny ever does. that's for damn sure.
Originally posted by pete98146:

One of the biggest disappointments this year has been our safety play. My god we have been horrible. BothTartt and Colbert have been god awful. I swear John Lynch is probably itching to suit up and show these guys how to play. Safeties are supposed to be center fielders. But you need to have smarts and good instincts to play the position and I'm starting to think neither of them have what it takes to be successful. At least this year, they are slow to give support, are often times out of position and they aren't supporting much in the middle. Do think it would make sense to go after Earl Thomas in the off-season.

No surprise. Prag and Lynch are like the guys who married a girl based on their first few dates. Dumb.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 23, 2018 at 11:30 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Current defensive ranks:

Turnovers forced - last
PPG - Last

yards/play - 15th
Pass yards/play - 16th
Rush yards/play - 7th
Qb rating allowed - 27th

I agree OTC. I'd never fault the defense for offensive and special teams turnovers and piss poor field position.

What they can control at that point is giving up 3 points vs. 7. That's all they can do. Unfortunately, that's not going very well either.

My hope is that the entire defense is getting their sophomore slump out of their system all at once.
Ha

Right? Need to look into average starting field position.

I found stats through week six.. Man.. if it was already that bad, I can only imagine how bad it is now.

After Week 6, the Niners were worst in the league in terms of defensive starting position at 33.16. On Sunday though.. I went and looked.. This was where the Rams started out on several drives.

- Niners 44 after the fumble
- Own 47 after returning the free kick following the safety
- Own 40 after the first interception
- Niners 27 after the second interception
- Niners 13 after a long punt return

Over those five drives, we gifted them an avg starting field position of our own 39 yard line, twice putting them in automatic scoring position and another time them not even needing a first downs worth of yards to be in scoring position.

Originally posted by pete98146:

I would not be opposed to this. Couple of his old teammates already here that could recruit. Then let someone like Colbert sit behind him for a year or two and learn, and feel comfortable in having a decent backup. Make it happen.

Also, even though Thomas will be 30 he has not been putting on mileage and compiling hits the last couple years because of injury. I would consider him a young 30 because of that.
Watch us beat all the other 1 win teams and then his seat will get colder. However, if we only win 1 of those 3 games, then I think it will be on fire if the defense gives up wins and turnovers diminish.
Our defensive guys look confused on almost every play.

Do we just have the dumbest humans alive running around back there, or are they not properly coached?

The level of confusion we exhibit pre-snap on defense is ridiculous.
I'm finally starting to really get down on the defensive coaching. For Foster, Solomon, Akhello, Colbert, Ward, Tartt and even Buckner to take such a step back or plateau this year - it's hard not to blame the coaching / scheme. These guys should be showing it going into game 8 this year.

The guys above have the talent to do damage at varying levels of ability (solid starter to all-pro abilities on that list) and aren't showing it this year outside of Buckner and I expect more out of him as well.

I'm hoping the next 3 garbage games will help build confidence and get these guys riding strong the rest of the year. If so, I'll feel much better about the defensive coaching. We'll see.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Maybe, just maybe.. he'll get the AXE during the BYE week..

Heck, some big time university (OKLAHOMA) got rid of their DC after a struggled win vs Army and that Texas Longhorn 'tragedy".. Even KC's DC got the axed very early, I don't see why we can't do it as well...
Share 49erswebzone