There are 268 users in the forums

2019 Defensive Progress & Robert Saleh Hot-seat Tracker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by bud49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
NY85...here we go.

So does this mean that most of these players on D are just dumb? Seems this happens every week and is never corrected someone not doing their job.

Bad players can certainly make a coach look stupid and vice versa. Have to look at performance as a whole as well and can't put excessive emphasis on isolated incidences, as difficult as that is to do.

I don't agree with how that clip explains Solly's responsibility. He has the C gap and is doing his job. Teams can cheat and play the QB bootleg - that would be an gameplan adjustment - but Solly's primary responsibility when he sees the playaction is to play the run, play the C gap. which is what he does.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by PacTiger:
Should be fired, probably won't be fired. Other DCs can do more with same squad

problem is we have terrible position coaches in my opinion.

I don't think you ever said that last year.

so what. i am saying this year. last year means nothing. it is startling how bad the pass defense is. how bad the tackling is. how we can not create turnovers. how we play stupid at crunch time. how we are not ready to play most games. and the penalties we make and lack of communication the players have. oh now i remember.. yes . i did rip the dc most of last year for playing soft and losing a couple of winnable games pre jimmy

As shocking as it is to say, we could have been in the playoffs last year. Take away two BS penalties negating field goal chances, and we're 8-8. Eliminate the two overtime losses and we're 10-6. We have had leads on some good teams but keep losing close games which tells me we are right on the edge of relevance.
As shocking as it is to say, we could have been in the playoffs last year. Take away two BS penalties negating field goal chances, and we're 8-8. Eliminate the two overtime losses and we're 10-6. We have had leads on some good teams but keep losing close games which tells me we are right on the edge of relevance.

So far we've played some top teams and nobody has blown us out like in years past.

In fact, take away the 3 turnovers that resulted in 9 points against the Packers and we'd have won.

We are definitely on the right track.

Also, we desperately need an ER!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

So far we've played some top teams and nobody has blown us out like in years past.

In fact, take away the 3 turnovers that resulted in 9 points against the Packers and we'd have won.

Definitely need an ER. If we can get a pro-bowl caliber ER this offseason - i think we can have a top 10 defense. We have enough talent to be there but it's hard without having even an NFL-worthy player at the most important position on your defense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we found ways to lose games last year. fine year one of kyle and his rebuild. despite some nice stats . we continue to find ways to lose games. now sooner or later that has got to reverse itself or we are going to be setting here next year and the year after. saying.. well we "should" have been such and such. the thing is you can not eliminate those losses or the losses to the chargers and packers because in all those cases. we keep finding ways to lose games and that is not creating a winning culture. its creating a moral victory culture but thats it from how i see it
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

monday went deeper than the three turnovers. once again, the defense played at the end of the game. whether it the calls or the players.. were horrendous
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Still the same...
[ Edited by jcs on Oct 19, 2018 at 1:13 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
Definitely need an ER. If we can get a pro-bowl caliber ER this offseason - i think we can have a top 10 defense. We have enough talent to be there but it's hard without having even an NFL-worthy player at the most important position on your defense.

the secondary aside from sherman is a mess. you got two decent linebackers and foster is hurt alot, you got buck and thats it,.,. sorry but the talent is not there to be any sort of a top 15 defense
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Still the same...

do not get me started on this

the secondary aside from sherman is a mess. you got two decent linebackers and foster is hurt alot, you got buck and thats it,.,. sorry but the talent is not there to be any sort of a top 15 defense

you and susweel, constant negativity every single day.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

that is cute and nice. but cc said nothing wrong
  • evil
  • Veteran

that is cute and nice. but cc said nothing wrong

Day and Blair look like rotational pieces up front and DJ Jones might be the future starter at 1 tech.

Witherspoon, Moore and Reed might be pieces in the secondary, still young with potential.

Jury is still out on Tartt and Colbert. Both young with room to grow and still time to see some of that growth as the season wears on.
Originally posted by thl408:
NY85...here we go.

So does this mean that most of these players on D are just dumb? Seems this happens every week and is never corrected someone not doing their job.

Bad players can certainly make a coach look stupid and vice versa. Have to look at performance as a whole as well and can't put excessive emphasis on isolated incidences, as difficult as that is to do.

I don't agree with how that clip explains Solly's responsibility. He has the C gap and is doing his job. Teams can cheat and play the QB bootleg - that would be an gameplan adjustment - but Solly's primary responsibility when he sees the playaction is to play the run, play the C gap. which is what he does.

I posted that on his Twitter yesterday. Saleh confirmed last year the DE is to crash down and the LB is to scrape-exchange but the issue JC is pointing out is, if the LB is passed off on coverage, there is no LB to exchange with so it's a free lane for QB's and that's dangerous against a guy like Rodgers, Wilson, etc.
One massive concern I have is on the No Brakes podcast, Matt Barrows said we have spent 10 picks on DB's the last two years and still can't find even a decent CB opposite Sherman. Even more concerning is the fact that Sherman is literally locking down 1/3 of the field so how the hell do our CB's continue to be in isolation on the other side. He was saying teams would kill to have one lock down CB for this very reason. Now you can scheme to the weaker side.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 19, 2018 at 2:44 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:
NY85...here we go.

I posted that on his Twitter yesterday. Saleh confirmed last year the DE is to crash down and the LB is to scrape-exchange but the issue JC is pointing out is, if the LB is passed off on coverage, there is no LB to exchange with so it's a free lane for QB's and that's dangerous against a guy like Rodgers, Wilson, etc.
What Saleh is referring to in last year's comment is regarding the zone read. That GB play is a QB bootleg. You don't scrape exchange on a QB bootleg. Warner has a B gap to honor, after the playfake, his responsibility is to match the crosser.
Solly can cheat and play the boot, but that means he abandons his C gap responsibility. He chose to play the C gap. imo
Share 49ersWebzone