LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Is Robert Saleh doing a good job in 2018

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Robert Saleh doing a good job in 2018

• jcs
  • Veteran
I don't know why a lot of writers and people were saying our defensive coordinator adjusted well. And they seem to totally disregard the first quarter was in my opinion almost historically bad giving up almost 200 yards passing on those busted plays and his personnel decisions. This is probably the worst coordinator I have ever seen and that's including the guy on Green Bay right now petite (sp). This guy has some very good players on defense and they are almost always out of position. He may do stuff right for half the game but people seem to forget he is atrocious the other half. He needs to go there are so many things he can do better such as putting the player at their natural position, as well as calling more man coverages or cover two or press whatever it is he doesn't do consistently and it's so frustrating.

I want him gone, if we want to keep the same scheme just get any other person that has experience and I guarantee it will have better results
Originally posted by evil:
No, they were interested in some of the names out there and also almost traded for Talib before signing Sherm. They were not interested in grossly overpaying some of those guys.

Free Agency is for supplementing the rebuild, not for rebuilding the holes we have.

Our lack of Common Sense and experience on the field makes our defense look a lot worse than it is. The vets would also have input to the scheme and might help modify some of the more overloaded looks that are being drawn up. A lot of these crazy overloads might actually work on the field if we had guys like Elvis Bethea Reid hang around the locker room pushing around some of the X and O's a little bit so that we don't have so many Grand Canyons in our formations when the ball is snapped. There's nobody to provide any checks and balances to our rookie DC. So some of these ideas get busted during a game pretty easily.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 17, 2018 at 4:15 AM ]
There needs to be a third option for "somewhere in between".
Originally posted by elguapo:
I don't know why a lot of writers and people were saying our defensive coordinator adjusted well. And they seem to totally disregard the first quarter was in my opinion almost historically bad giving up almost 200 yards passing on those busted plays and his personnel decisions. This is probably the worst coordinator I have ever seen and that's including the guy on Green Bay right now petite (sp). This guy has some very good players on defense and they are almost always out of position. He may do stuff right for half the game but people seem to forget he is atrocious the other half. He needs to go there are so many things he can do better such as putting the player at their natural position, as well as calling more man coverages or cover two or press whatever it is he doesn't do consistently and it's so frustrating.

I want him gone, if we want to keep the same scheme just get any other person that has experience and I guarantee it will have better results

Uh do you not remember O'Neill and his record setting NFL worst and franchise worst records? Mangini was way worse as well. Saleh is way better than both those guys and is certainly not the worst DC in the league.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
There needs to be a third option for "somewhere in between".

yea I am more... he has to be hot seat but i dont know for sure yet.
the players arent listening to him, its obvious with so much blown coverages. Fire him and the DB coach
Originally posted by valrod33:
the players arent listening to him, its obvious with so much blown coverages. Fire him and the DB coach

If Sherman hadn't come out -- we all know he has no filter and simply spits the truth -- and said not to blame the coaches, I might have leaned the same way. But like he said, the players were being careless and blowing basic football 101 concepts. These guys should know better and that's why Sherman is saying there's no excuse for it. Saleh and company shouldn't have to tell these guys to stop playing the opposite coverage of the the coverage he called. Players need to do their jobs because they can only bench so many players before they run out of options.
Originally posted by elguapo:

Who are these very good players other than Sherman and Buckner?
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Oct 17, 2018 at 7:43 AM ]
Originally posted by jcs:

I hope Thomas gets it together and can earn more snaps.

Most of our problems are in the secondary. Yes an edge rusher would really help but the DB's are young and making lot's of mistakes. I don't blame Saleh for this because he is the coordinator. He may get the ultimate responsibility but maybe the problem is with the secondary coaches. They are the ones that work with these guys every day and are supposed to be teaching them technique. Saleh's job is to bring the 3 units (DB;s, LB;s and D line ) together into a cohesive unit. The line and LB's seem to be holding up pretty well.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Most of our problems are in the secondary. Yes an edge rusher would really help but the DB's are young and making lot's of mistakes. I don't blame Saleh for this because he is the coordinator. He may get the ultimate responsibility but maybe the problem is with the secondary coaches. They are the ones that work with these guys every day and are supposed to be teaching them technique. Saleh's job is to bring the 3 units (DB;s, LB;s and D line ) together into a cohesive unit. The line and LB's seem to be holding up pretty well.

The DL isn't holding up well. We generally play with 8 in the box so running will be difficult against us especially since our DTs are one of the better groups on this team. Our DEs are average to below average depending on whos out there. It's salehs responsibility to hold his staff and players accountable. There is no reason for these types of mental errors this late into the season. This is also his second year so these players should be somewhat familiar with the coverages and their responsibilities. Saleh needs to figure out who isn't paying attention in games or maybe practice and deal with it. Saleh needs to hold his position coaches accountable for that units performance. I'd rather have a less talented player playing instead of a physically gifted player who is constantly making mental errors. If I am shannahan and I have to sit a player because of mental errors I'm firing saleh because that's his job.
The first drives of the last two games were embarrassing and should have saleh on the hot seat. How do you have a miscommunication on the opening drive two weeks in a row in the middle of the season?

At this point I am wondering if saleh is trying to be people's friends instead of their coach.
[ Edited by PacTiger on Oct 17, 2018 at 8:48 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PacTiger:
The first drives of the last two games were embarrassing and should have saleh on the hot seat. How do you have a miscommunication on the opening drive two weeks in a row in the middle of the season?

At this point I am wondering if saleh is trying to be people's friends instead of their coach.

the last two drives green bay had is grounds for firing him. defense not ready to play vs the chiefs. maybe someday the powers to be with get it with this idiot
well Sherman is defending him and he doesn't seem like the type of guy to defend people if they don't deserve it.

I'm blaming the s**tty players we have, and the lack of talent personally.
Share 49ersWebzone