There are 142 users in the forums

Jimmy G vs CJB

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
OK let's try this again. It's very simple I hope you can follow this time. The conditions were not similar. CJ did not have receivers dropping balls all over the place, running wrong routes, 150 yards in penalties, horrible referee calls, should I go on and on.

Sometimes it's pretty hilarious when people say the conditions were similar or they have the same players and so on when there were many many other factors that contributed to them looking even close to similar on the stat sheet. However I would think you would know better that even if their stats were similar it would be a lot more unfair to judge Jimmy because of the above stated.

You can think bringing up other players is irrelevant but I was trying to make a simple point of comparison for you. Aaron Rodgers struggled quite a bit this year and some people I'm sure were saying he was struggling but what they really didn't see was a great quarterback that simply had a lot of injuries as well as things around him not going well. Now if his back up did similar people would never have the balls to say why is it fair to judge one quarterback and not the other. It seems pretty ridiculous but hey.

So yes it's easy to judge CJ because he is awful but when people are comparing them they are not seeing the bigger picture but that's OK I don't expect all fans to go into depth about the two players let alone know the difference between stats because quite often they lie. Thanks, I will not reply to anything else you post But I am looking forward to people continuing to say how it may be unfair to judge a horrible quarterback but not a very good quarterback that could easily become elite if he has more help and different circumstances in each game. Bottom line Garoppolo would've won the chargers and Arizona without a doubt. CJ did not. Done
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 15, 2018 at 12:56 AM ]
I'm not trying to join in this argument, but elguapo is saying the WRs aren't dropping passes from CJ. How many of CJs INTs have been because the WR bobbled the ball?
I'm not saying CJ is better than Jimmy, but I am saying that this year, Jimmy has not looked like a world-beating QB. He's looked like an above average starter, but can any of you say that CJ has not at least looked like a middle of the pack starting QB?? I don't think the difference between them is very large.

The 49ers have shot themselves in the foot this year with turnovers and defensive mistakes. The QB play has been good IMO, as has Kyle's playcalling.
[ Edited by IrishCrnjo on Oct 15, 2018 at 6:14 PM ]
Originally posted by ilikecheerleaders:
I'm not trying to join in this argument, but elguapo is saying the WRs aren't dropping passes from CJ. How many of CJs INTs have been because the WR bobbled the ball?

Yep. Completely hypocritical analysis.

He is saying its unfair to judge Jimmy because of the players around Jimmy, but its perfectly fine to call CJ awful in spite of the same players being around him. That is the thesis of his argument, which is buried in a wall of text which includes talking about Tom Brady and making excuses for Jimmy.

It is insane to me that he is continuing on like this, especially given the fact that I and others have repeatedly stated that the talent level between the two is huge and favors Jimmy. No one has claimed CJ is better, as good, or even close to being either of those as Jimmy. All that has been stated is CJ's production is fairly similar to Jimmy's so far this season (which is a totally fair/reasonable observation to).
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
I'm not saying CJ is better than Jimmy, but I am saying that this year, Jimmy has not looked like a world-beating QB. He's looked like an above average starter, but can any of you say that CJ has not at least looked like a middle of the pack starting QB?? I don't think the difference between them is very large.

The 49ers have shot themselves in the foot this year with turnovers and defensive mistakes. The QB play has been good IMO, as has Kyle's playcalling.

Spot on.
Originally posted by ilikecheerleaders:

I never said CJ doesn't have to deal with drops as well and some of the same injuries. However he is much worse I'm glad he is improving and I was impressed with 3 quarters of his play however he was back to the same old horrible quarterback missing a wide open pass for 5 yards to Kittle which would've most likely sealed the game. He threw the damn thing out of bounds. Also what was his fourth quarter rating 16? Inexcusable. That last throw, the interception? Inexcusable even our coach called him out a little bit by saying there was 4 routes he chose the worst one. Enough said

I'm glad we lost because it keeps us in the top five draft pick range. I'm glad he's improving that's all I can say but he chokes every damn time.

He will be a good back up but we could never count on him as a starter unless he improves dramatically
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Yep. Completely hypocritical analysis.

He is saying its unfair to judge Jimmy because of the players around Jimmy, but its perfectly fine to call CJ awful in spite of the same players being around him. That is the thesis of his argument, which is buried in a wall of text which includes talking about Tom Brady and making excuses for Jimmy.

It is insane to me that he is continuing on like this, especially given the fact that I and others have repeatedly stated that the talent level between the two is huge and favors Jimmy. No one has claimed CJ is better, as good, or even close to being either of those as Jimmy. All that has been stated is CJ's production is fairly similar to Jimmy's so far this season (which is a totally fair/reasonable observation to make).

Perfectly said esp. the bold.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 16, 2018 at 8:10 PM ]

Exactly. Where is the context here?

JG has started 8 games for us and really, only 3 within the confines of a complicated offense and his play reflected a QB thinking while playing.

CJB has also started 8 games for us and has grown a lot since last year and looks far more comfortable with two full off seasons under his belt.

We should just be thrilled we have a HC/OC that can get the most out of both while they grow and develop within a complex offense that still produces along the way.

CJB has more exposure to the system and JG has the highest ceiling. The fact that this thread even exists is a testament to Kyle Shanahan.
I really like CJ and he has given the team a chance to win in most of the games he started.There should be no "VS" between the 2 of them. I feel fortunate to have 2 quality QB's on the roster. I believe CJB3 has shown that he can be a starter in this league and He could become trade bait.

Simple fact is that J.G. can make some throws that others can't and they gave him $500,000,000,000 dollars.
Originally posted by NCommand:

JG has started 8 games for us and really, only 3 within the confines of a complicated offense and his play reflected a QB thinking while playing.

CJB has also started 8 games for us and has grown a lot since last year and looks far more comfortable with two full off seasons under his belt.

We should just be thrilled we have a HC/OC that can get the most out of both while they grow and develop within a complex offense that still produces along the way.

CJB has more exposure to the system and JG has the highest ceiling. The fact that this thread even exists is a testament to Kyle Shanahan.

Jimmy's had one real bad game vs Minnesota. Even his supposed struggles has seen game logs of this:

Damn that Minnesota game is really clouding some people's mind. If high 60s completion % and qb rating over 110 are "struggling" then he's worth every penny he's getting and his injury is tragic. We are a scary team with him at QB and defense have to account for it. You know when you see it and Jimmy has it. That doesn't mean he's gonna be a top 5 QB in the league but he has that potential.

Also, you change the one Kittle Drop that would have been an 80 yard TD and that then negates the subsequent int and the supposed similar production isn't even close. Even with the s**tty Minnesota stat line, Jimmy had a higher TD%, lower Int% and a higher rating.

This CJ/Jimmy similar performance is some hot take b******t IMO. We are 6-2 with Jimmy and 1-13 without him. That's really all that needs to be said.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 16, 2018 at 8:58 PM ]

Originally posted by Niners816:

Jimmy's had one real bad game vs Minnesota. Even his supposed struggles has seen game logs of this:

Damn that Minnesota game is really clouding some people's mind. If high 60s completion % and qb rating over 110 are "struggling" then he's worth every penny he's getting and his injury is tragic. We are a scary team with him at QB and defense have to account for it. You know when you see it and Jimmy has it. That doesn't mean he's gonna be a top 5 QB in the league but he has that potential.

Also, you change the one Kittle Drop that would have been an 80 TD and that then negates the subsequent int and the supposed similar production isn't even close. Even with the s**tty Minnesota stat line, Jimmy had a higher TD%, lower Int% and a higher rating.

It's true. I wouldn't even go so far as saying he struggled. I just saw a QB trying to truly play within the confines of the actual offense for the first time. You knew he was going to get better and better the more comfortable he got and the more Kyle learned about his strengths. Damn you ACL.
It's true. I wouldn't even go so far as saying he struggled. I just saw a QB trying to truly play within the confines of the actual offense for the first time. You knew he was going to get better and better the more comfortable he got and the more Kyle learned about his strengths. Damn you ACL.

Look at what Kyles done with CJ....he's scheming his ass off. He called a brilliant game last night and for one night almost had CJ performing at a Jimmy like 69%, 110+ QB rating. CJ is just not Jimmy and that's why we are staring down the barrel of a 3-13/4-12 type season.

Also, you change the one Kittle Drop that would have been an 80 yard TD and that then negates the subsequent int and the supposed similar production isn't even close. Even with the s**tty Minnesota stat line, Jimmy had a higher TD%, lower Int% and a higher rating.

This CJ/Jimmy similar performance is some hot take b******t IMO. We are 6-2 with Jimmy and 1-13 without him. That's really all that needs to be said.

You nailed it I don't know what some of these people are going off of that but hey. You are right I've been preaching this as well. With some of those Huge drops as well as playing at the time the best defense at Minnesota, considering his wide receiver ran the wrong route and the Kittle dropped touchdown it's really cut and dry.

I love that throw he made under pressure to Pettis. I'm glad CJ is improving he just needs not to choke like he has always done and improve his accuracy which I don't think is possible but we will see. He is a very good back up and maybe a low-end starter that we can trade eventually
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 17, 2018 at 1:55 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
Also what was his fourth quarter rating 16? Inexcusable.

CJ's 4th quarter rating is better than Jimmy Garoppolo's, but please continue making excuses and talking about how awful CJ is.

We havent played 22 games this season, so it really isnt all that needs to be said. The conversation is about 2018.
Share 49erswebzone