LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 168 users in the forums

Jimmy G vs CJB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
it seems like CJ is finding the right targets faster than Jimmy. But Jimmy has the better accuracy and faster release. I think CJ's extra time in the system is the reason for this. CJ looked lost last year but finally learned the system. We have always seen that QBs do much better in Year 2 under Shannahan's system.

Im very confident that Jimmy will make faster reads next seasons and be more dominate. Just got to add a stud at RG and get him a true #1 WR. The only two things i think we are missing from offense.

On defense, need to add the pass rusher, move Solly to Big End...replace Colbert...and hope that Witherspoon or Moore make a big leap
This thread has to be the most surprising thread of the season.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
it seems like CJ is finding the right targets faster than Jimmy. But Jimmy has the better accuracy and faster release. I think CJ's extra time in the system is the reason for this. CJ looked lost last year but finally learned the system. We have always seen that QBs do much better in Year 2 under Shannahan's system.

Im very confident that Jimmy will make faster reads next seasons and be more dominate. Just got to add a stud at RG and get him a true #1 WR. The only two things i think we are missing from offense.

On defense, need to add the pass rusher, move Solly to Big End...replace Colbert...and hope that Witherspoon or Moore make a big leap

I 80% agree on your post regarding The Gift vs The Beard (QBs)... you can really tell that CJ is just now learning and adjusting to the NFL.. but the only bad thing is that the learning is not completed yet as you can tell by how he would find a way to turn the ball over and/or not complete a very important play..

Next year, I hope Lynch would make a run at Ej Green since he didn't take a bit out of Sammy Watkins.

on the defensive side of the ball, I personally believe NOW that the great plays and the solid end of the year performances of both Spoon and "Trigger" (Colbert) had actually got to their too soon... BELIEVING that they now BELONG shows how much out of focus both have been... giving up stupid big play(s) after big plays thinking that they have everything under control..
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Niners816:
This CJ/Jimmy similar performance is some hot take b******t IMO. We are 6-2 with Jimmy and 1-13 without him. That's really all that needs to be said.

We havent played 22 games this season, so it really isnt all that needs to be said. The conversation is about 2018.

oh really we haven't played 22 games? So you see no trend with a total rebuilding team that's won 75% of the starts with one guy and less than 10% with anyone not named that guy.

Again, this fairytale is just hot take f**king b******t.
This CJ/Jimmy similar performance is some hot take b******t IMO. We are 6-2 with Jimmy and 1-13 without him. That's really all that needs to be said.

We havent played 22 games this season, so it really isnt all that needs to be said. The conversation is about 2018.

oh really we haven't played 22 games? So you see no trend with a total rebuilding team that's won 75% of the starts with one guy and less than 10% with anyone not named that guy.

Again, this fairytale is just hot take f**king b******t.

Again, the entire conversation was about 2018. Enough with this nonsense about hot takes and fairy tales. 2018 is what the conversation is about. You adding in information about last year is COMPLETELY irrelevant.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 17, 2018 at 5:59 PM ]
Again, the entire conversation was about 2018. Enough with this nonsense about hot takes and fairy tales. 2018 is what the conversation is about. You adding in information about last year is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

Sorry, when both have an 8 game sample size as a starter there is no completely irrelevant information.

As for 2018, jimmys won at a higher rate, thrown TDs at a higher rate and turned the ball over at a much lower rate. He's had ONE bad game and that game is the only thing that made the stats look even close. Even in Jimmy's so called struggling state, he's look like a better QB. CJ is improving and that's good but this season is a lost season because the only guy we've won with is injured.

I guess the hot take thing comes from the dude in the Kyle thread bringing up this s**t but missintrerpting PFF stats namely Time to throw and not knowing that sacks don't count against your completion %. It's all a narrative drummed up by I'm sure the same dude spouting off about CJ 2.0 over the summer.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 17, 2018 at 6:19 PM ]
Beathard is 0-for-4 in game winning drive attempts, all of which only a field goal was needed to win.

Jimmy has two already.

End. Of. Discussion.
  • Kense
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Beathard is 0-for-4 in game winning drive attempts, all of which only a field goal was needed to win.

Jimmy has two already.

End. Of. Discussion.

That means nothing
Sorry, when both have an 8 game sample size as a starter there is no completely irrelevant information.

As for 2018, jimmys won at a higher rate, thrown TDs at a higher rate and turned the ball over at a much lower rate. He's had ONE bad game and that game is the only thing that made the stats look even close. Even in Jimmy's so called struggling state, he's look like a better QB. CJ is improving and that's good but this season is a lost season because the only guy we've won with is injured.

I guess the hot take thing comes from the dude in the Kyle thread bringing up this s**t but missintrerpting PFF stats namely Time to throw and not knowing that sacks don't count against your completion %. It's all a narrative drummed up by I'm sure the same dude spouting off about CJ 2.0 over the summer.

Yeah I stopped with this argument, the guys posts are delusional but that's OK I'm just glad we have a decent back up quarterback but it's funny he keeps arguing this it just makes his posts look ridiculous but what are you going to do some people just don't understand the game of football as well as others.
Originally posted by Kense:

Jimmy has two already.

End. Of. Discussion.

That means nothing

It means nothing? Thanks I needed that laugh

Originally posted by elguapo:
Yeah I stopped with this argument, the guys posts are delusional but that's OK I'm just glad we have a decent back up quarterback but it's funny he keeps arguing this it just makes his posts look ridiculous but what are you going to do some people just don't understand the game of football as well as others.

What about me saying Jimmy is way more talented than CJ, but CJ has exceeded expectations tells you that I dont understand the game of football? Please explain.

There is no need for insults and personal attacks, especially given the fact that you have done nothing but contradict yourself the last few pages. First you claim CJ is awful and now he is decent. Keep backtracking bro!
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 19, 2018 at 11:40 AM ]
What about me saying Jimmy is way more talented than CJ, but CJ has exceeded expectations tells you that I dont understand the game of football? Please explain.

There is no need for insults and personal attacks, especially given the fact that you have done nothing but contradict yourself the last few pages. First you claim CJ is awful and now he is decent. Keep backtracking bro!

I did not personally attack you at all I Was referring to your post So I would appreciate it if you stop trying to villainize me, thanks. I was saying if you couldn't see how much better Jimmy is as a quarterback then maybe you need to watch some more film that's all. If you can't take that that's fine. I do not contradict myself I still think CJ is awful as a starter but he is decent as a back up compared to the rest of the league. What don't you understand about that and there is no contradiction whatsoever. Please read carefully thanks. I laughed so hard when you said keep backtracking....I have always said CJ is horrible but he will improve because of our coach. Sorry that's so hard for you to understand. But you keep up the good fight sticking up for a horrible quarterback that is a turnover machine bro!

By the way you are the one saying things like last year doesn't really matter this year they are similar and that is simply not the case. CJ had one decent game for 3 quarters even though he completely choked in the fourth. I hope you agree with that if not I don't know what to tell you, it's painfully obvious especially when our coach called him out on the final play which definitely helped cost us the game much like his fourth quarter play. Its more a reflection of the back ups in the league than his play on the field. I think eventually we will be able to trade him and he will improve but that's about it his accuracy is a horrible most of the time

I think this argument that you are making is absurd so I will do my best not to quote any of your comments and I'd appreciate it if you do the same thanks
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 19, 2018 at 12:03 PM ]

honestly, they have a point. it doesn't matter that this season is "2018" because last year is quite relevant given both QB's track record. Regardless of the year, JG has proven himself by his game-winning drives and his winning period. CJ hasn't quite gotten there yet. However Beathard has improved a lot. But to compare these 2 is just silly, still.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
honestly, they have a point. it doesn't matter that this season is "2018" because last year is quite relevant given both QB's track record. Regardless of the year, JG has proven himself by his game-winning drives and his winning period. CJ hasn't quite gotten there yet. However Beathard has improved a lot. But to compare these 2 is just silly, still.

I agree but we really have to consider the overall body of work where CJ is a turnover machine and now he may be a little less of a turnover machine. Still a liability in my opinion and still not good enough to win a game. Maybe one or two against a really bad defense but you do have to consider last year because Jimmy did it again some good defenses especially Jacksonville. Tennessee and Chicago where is solid as hell And Jimmy let them up CJ could never do that. Let's just hope we get back a third rounder for him when we trade him in a few years
Originally posted by Kense:

Jimmy has two already.

End. Of. Discussion.

That means nothing

It means nothing? Thanks I needed that laugh

Would much rather have a guy that will come through in clutch moments(Montana) than someone that will just give you a great performance during the game but choke at the end (Romo).
Share 49ersWebzone