There are 283 users in the forums

Jimmy G vs CJB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If all you had to go on to evaluate these 2 QBs, where the games they've played this season, would you really see Jimmy G as our savior franchise QB and CJB as the lowly backup? They've both done a good job at moving the team up and down the field, both have high interception numbers which are only partially their fault (like when the ball bounces off the intended receiver). And they've both dealt with a receiving corp that has dropped a lot of passes.

I don't see much difference between the two. Which is good and bad: good because I think we have 2 good QBs, and bad, because I don't think we can pin these losses on Jimmy G being out. We're losing because of s**t defense, and errors from our offensive skill position players.
If you dont see the difference between the two then you must be watching the game on the radio. Cj Beathard has no business starting in the NFL
Injuries have driven the whole season off the tracks.
Originally posted by valrod33:
If you dont see the difference between the two then you must be watching the game on the radio. Cj Beathard has no business starting in the NFL

This ^

this. / thread.

CJ is feisty and a decent backup. But he is not a starting QB.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
If all you had to go on to evaluate these 2 QBs, where the games they've played this season, would you really see Jimmy G as our savior franchise QB and CJB as the lowly backup? They've both done a good job at moving the team up and down the field, both have high interception numbers which are only partially their fault (like when the ball bounces off the intended receiver). And they've both dealt with a receiving corp that has dropped a lot of passes.

I don't see much difference between the two. Which is good and bad: good because I think we have 2 good QBs, and bad, because I don't think we can pin these losses on Jimmy G being out. We're losing because of s**t defense, and errors from our offensive skill position players.

Beat-hard's pocket awareness is next to zero. He's got like two passing attempts of more than 20 yards and his accuracy is still not good.

The fact that we've been able to put up some numbers has more to do with Kyle and his scheme and less to do with CJ IMO. We lost last week because of beathard not because of a s**tty defense.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 10, 2018 at 6:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

this. / thread.

CJ is feisty and a decent backup. But he is not a starting QB.
Really? Have you seen half the starting qbs in the league? Cj's alright. But there's no controversy.
What killed drives vs Arizona was penalties, turnovers and drops. One of those turnovers was on CJ, but is that any worse than what we've seen from Jimmy G?

CJ was doing his part to move the chains, but had to deal with a number of drops, RBs fumbling etc, and he has absolutely not been any worse than Jimmy G in the turnover department. I watched the games and don't see how you can pin either loss and CJ, and is simply ridiculous. Some fans here have Jimmy G rose colored glasses on.
[ Edited by IrishCrnjo on Oct 10, 2018 at 6:55 AM ]
What killed drives vs Arizona was penalties, turnovers and drops. One of those turnovers was on CJ, but is that any worse than what we've seen from Jimmy G?

CJ was doing his part to move the chains, but had to deal with a number of drops, RBs fumbling etc, and he has absolutely not been any worse than Jimmy G in the turnover department. I watched the games and don't see how you can pin either loss and CJ, and is simply ridiculous. Some fans here have Jimmy G rose colored glasses on.

Just rewatch last year's games when Garoppolo put a beaten and humiliated team on his back and carried them. I like Beathard but he could not have done that last year or this year. Garoppolo is a franchise qb and Beathard is at present a reasonable backup who may well one day lead a team.
Cj Beathard 10 games as a 49er

57.1 % completion
2077 yards
6.59 avg per attempt
8 TDs 10 INTs 5 Fumbles
Scored 17 points per game

Jimmy G 9 games as a 49er
64% Completions
2278 yards
8.53 avg per attempt
12 TDs 8 INTS 2 Fumbles
27 points per game

Beathard reminds me of Kurt Cousins when he came in for RG III. Putting up decent numbers, throwing for a decent amount of yards, but lacking pocket awareness and forcing throws that end up being picked. Hopefully he can develope into a starter and we can trade him for a nice bounty of picks. Right now Jimmy G is light years ahead of him.
Is this a serious question??? Lol. I think it would be difficult to succeed for either with this roster but Jimmy is sooooooooooooooo much better. I can't believe there are people out there that can't see that.

Jimmy needs to get back and get healthy. Kyle and Lynch need to work on getting him a #1 WR and a bigger bodied RB and I don't think anyone would be able to slow down the O. At least get him the WR. Jimmy needs WRs he can trust. I think him losing Goodwin really affected his play in this offense. I really thought Jimmy made one horrible play and that was the pick against Detroit. Other than that I thought it was normal growing pains. Jimmy is way up here. CJ is behind him carrying whatever girl he's with bags.
Remember that CJ was a rookie last year.

I know it's small sample size, but in two full games he's
62.6% completion
7.1 yards per attempt
4TD 4 pics

In Jimmy's 3 games this year he's
59.6%
8.1 per attempt
5 TD 3 pics

Some people in this thread have critisized CJs pocket awareness, but have they forgotten Jimmy G's statue impersonations from this year?

And the fumbles...I can't really ding a QB that much for getting the ball stripped as he's trying to pass because of crappy protection.
I see Jimmy as more accurate in ball placement which is ultimately what matters to me. Not really seeing it in CJ.

And yes, the rosters that they both have to work with is terrible, so sometimes its hard to evaluate. Decent OL. Terrible skill positions
Remember that CJ was a rookie last year.

I know it's small sample size, but in two full games he's
62.6% completion
7.1 yards per attempt
4TD 4 pics

In Jimmy's 3 games this year he's
59.6%
8.1 per attempt
5 TD 3 pics

Some people in this thread have critisized CJs pocket awareness, but have they forgotten Jimmy G's statue impersonations from this year?

And the fumbles...I can't really ding a QB that much for getting the ball stripped as he's trying to pass because of crappy protection.

It's not crappy protection though...he's never steps up in the pocket. Kyle has been scheming quick completions for CJ the past two games take away two plays that Kittle basically did on his own (80 yard TD and a screen play for 50 yards) and his YPA is poo.

He's a nice backup similar to Hoyer, he's not even close to as talented as Jimmy G and it's a horrible debate.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 10, 2018 at 8:12 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone