There are 153 users in the forums

The official "Pipe Dream" QB controversy thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Stud
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
I'm not even gonna waste my time reading this.

CJ is a fringe starter/career backup. No need to debate this.

This.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's not a controversy when one of the guys is hurt.
I thought CJ looked better than JG. It's probably because CJ has a full year in the system, but JG holds the ball way too long... he's indecisive.

TT is Time to Throw
Originally posted by ilikecheerleaders:
I thought CJ looked better than JG. It's probably because CJ has a full year in the system, but JG holds the ball way too long... he's indecisive.

TT is Time to Throw

It's one game. But C.J. looked much improved from last year
  • Chief
  • Veteran
If he balls out we trade him for a kings ransom and win multiple championships with Jimmy G. He goes on to a starting position on another team and gets his money.

Yay!! I like this pipedream
If CJ starts looking like a quality QB by the end of the season, the only "controversy" would be over how much draft capital we obtain for trading him.
  • thl408
If CJ looks good then trade Jimmy for cap relief to re-sign Ward and Armstead.
Originally posted by thl408:

I agree with keeping CJ and trading JG if CJ balls out. There was an article out that talked about stacking your team while your QB salary is low. It would be nice if that was a situation we were in again. I think we'd get much better return by trading JG away rather than CJ, but I don't know how high it would go after an ACL.

I don't know about Ward and Armstead though. I don't think there would be a massive dropoff in production if we let Armstead go and Solomon takes his place. And outside of Sherm, our DBs are horrible.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ilikecheerleaders:

I agree with keeping CJ and trading JG if CJ balls out. There was an article out that talked about stacking your team while your QB salary is low. It would be nice if that was a situation we were in again. I think we'd get much better return by trading JG away rather than CJ, but I don't know how high it would go after an ACL.

I don't know about Ward and Armstead though. I don't think there would be a massive dropoff in production if we let Armstead go and Solomon takes his place. And outside of Sherm, our DBs are horrible.
All that free capital will allow us to extend Marsh to a nice 6 year deal....

Can we coax Mike Rumph out of retirement to solidify the secondary also?

Also is "Jack" back here making threads? If you know, you know....
Originally posted by Stud:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
I'm not even gonna waste my time reading this.

CJ is a fringe starter/career backup. No need to debate this.

This.

This
Please close thread. Lol
At this point in their careers, Jimmy should be better then CJ. He has been in the league for 4 or 5 years now so he has been able to study from the sideline and practice against NFL speed, where CJ is just getting adjusted to the speed of the game as it is faster then college. CJ came from a run first offense in college, so he wasn't called upon to wing it all around the field. I personally think that once CJ fully adjusts to the speed of the NFL, as well as fully grasping Shanny's offense he is going to be very good. I watched every game he played in college and this kid has great instincts and was good at improvising when the play broke down. His biggest weakness is his toughness, as he took beatings in college because he doesn't like to slide and he will stand in the pocket till he completes the pass or gets pasted by the defense. I think barring injury, and if the line can protect him this year he is going to grow and get a little better each week. Sure, he is gonna have a bad game somewhere, but once he is fully adjusted to the NFL I think he is going to be pretty good. In college, Matt Millen compared him to both Joe Montana and Jake Plummer.
[ Edited by scotthawk1964 on Oct 1, 2018 at 10:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone