LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

The official "Pipe Dream" QB controversy thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So this topic is obviously pre mature but worth a thought going forward. So the question is what would it take to have a legit qb competion this coming off season. What would C.J. have to do to make this topic a reality? So let's take a look at both quarterbacks.

First we have Jimmy, the overwhelming favorite to be the starter next year. The facts on his side are his magical play last season, leadership ability, god given talent, and massive contract. On the downside his play this season was below what most people expected of him. He also has had a couple injuries in a relatively small amount of playing time. Also he made some questionable decisions in the off season. Jimmy needed reps and experience this year and he won't be getting that making his performance next season coming off a significant injury a big question mark. Keep in mind if C.J. starts most of the games this season he will have more starts and experience in this offense going forward.

Now on to the underdog. Mr C.J. tough as nails Beathard. Very little has been expected of this young man since he was drafted. Labeled a reach and at best a lifetime back up when he was drafted by most critics. So on to the positives. No one can question his toughness. Dating back to last season I can't recall a qb who has been smacked around so much in so little time. He has popped up off the ground in seconds when I thought he was literally dead. No one can argue his toughness. His arm strength is also under rated as I believe at worst his arm strength would be labeled as above average. On to his mobility which is also a plus. He shows shades of young and Garcia when he escapes and scrambles. Defenses seem to under rate his athleticism. Factor in his study habits and nfl bloodlines and I believe he is a starting caliber qb. His contract is also paying him pennies compared to jimmy. On the down side he hangs on to the ball too long sometimes and his reckless play will eventually lead to injury regardless of his toughness. His accuracy has also been up and down and he has a tendency to throw a duck out there once in a while although he did make some pin point passes against the Chargers.

So the main question is how well does C.J. have to play this season for this controversy to even be a topic? If he continues to show improvement in year 2 who knows. Let's discuss this dream scenario for the 49ers. Having two qb's is never a bad thing!
[ Edited by RidetheHyde on Oct 1, 2018 at 4:31 PM ]
Originally posted by RidetheHyde:
What would C.J. have to do to make this topic a reality?

he needs to win games....

if he wins 5 straight like Jimmy did, then we can talk. Otherwise..no he is the backup. I like him and all, but we're trying to be realistic here.
If a superbowl championship and MVP didnt get nick Foles a starting job, nothing will save cj
I'm not even gonna waste my time reading this.

CJ is a fringe starter/career backup. No need to debate this.
Yall watching too many bledsoe-brady videos
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
If a superbowl championship and MVP didnt get nick Foles a starting job, nothing will save cj

Not saying this isn't a pipe dream but on that topic wentz was a top pick qb who was probably the mvp before his injury. And foles is what he is. Most would consider his success last year an anomaly

Call this the gratuitous provocation to generate clicks thread. Been there done that
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 1, 2018 at 4:50 PM ]
I have 137 million reasons why there is no such controversy. End/thread
Originally posted by 951NINER:
I have 137 million reasons why there is no such controversy. End/thread

IBTL!!!!!

So if C.J. balls out this year it's not a discussion?
Lets hope its a helluva debate.
It's not a real controversy, only a pipe dream made up by bored fans.
I'm a CJ fan, but he doesn't have Jimmy's quick release or ability to throw from different arm angles... and Jimmy is accurate most of the time.

Both have heart.

The only way CJ is starting out there next year is if Jimmy gets hurt again.
C.J. could go balls DEEP on Shanny and Lynch and it's still wouldn't be a discussion.

(Ok, it would, just a really awkward one!)
Share 49ersWebzone