There are 227 users in the forums

Is it time for a defensive rebuild?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time for a defensive rebuild?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
This defense would look great with the following in their prime:
Willis, Bowman, Goldson, Whitner, Brooks, Rogers, J. Smith and A. Smith.

The talent is the difference.

This defense looked far from dominant in 2010 even with a lot of those players.

That was the 1011 talent Vic stared with. The talent was not as good in 2010 but it was an average defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Talk about being overly dramatic. Who thought that this team had the foundation for a dominant defense in 2010? Anyone? Bueller?

What really tied that defense together was acquiring a dominant edge rusher and adding better defensive playcalling. They didn't need to start from scratch, just add at the right positions.

I think with Buckner, Foster, Warner, Day, Thomas, Colbert, Tartt...etc, there is a nice collection of young talent but you need the outside pass rush element if you want to run what is largely a vanilla defensive scheme and have people be successful. More depth at CB and S overall would be welcome.
I agree, there is talent, also D.J Reed is a guy we need to give some time to get used to palying, but yes 2 Edge rusher are needed along with a shutdown CB and a LB/Edge, hey almost forgot a DC,Sleh reminds of O`Neil the DC that was with Chip Kelly,why the hell is Thomas Day out in COVERAGE why,that is some crazy s**t playcalling,you`re not fooling anybody,if anything the opposing Offense is licking their chops.
What kind of question is this? Lynch IS rebuilding, only brick by brick. This year was Mike Mclingchey...so in 53 years, we'll more than likely have a full team of bricks. Be patient!!!
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Oct 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
We got Buck on the Dline and the rest are just backups / depth players. We don't have enough LBs, what happens if Foster / Warner miss some time (we're f**ked).

The secondary is weak... can muster a few plays here n there, but nothing consistent. Tartt is hurt often, Shermy is close to a fossil. We don't have an edge rusher (Marsh is raw sewage).

Acorn Head is nothing special, he needs loaded roster to make system look good. He is not a very good DC (we've seen enough).
  • Antix
  • Veteran
We need a new DC and an ER. We also need health. That should get us to an average defense.

All defense is now in the NFL is rushing the passer. Nothing else really matters. If you can't rush the qb then it don't matter you're gonna get the ball thrown all over you eventually.
Outside of Warner Buck and Foster there is no promise in any of these players beyond being depth. Sherman excluded.
We have players that just stay hurt,and are not trustworthy to be or stay healthy.
Tart,J.Williams,M.Smith,R.Sherman,A.Colbert,A.Armstead.
The WZ is like a cat chasing its tail. Amusing at first, but after awhile it just gets a little sad.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
The WZ is like a cat chasing its tail. Amusing at first, but after awhile it just gets a little sad.

going in circles and never making any progress. Just like this regime.
It was a mistake to go all youth in our dbs plain and simple. Reid should be here. We should have found some one reliable in fa for reasonsble coin.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM ]

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
It was a mistake to go all youth in our dbs ppain and simple. Reid should be here. We should have some one reliable in fa for reasonsble coin.

They were overinflated from last year and not reliable at all. I think we extended the wrong guy in Tartt. I don't see any consistency there. Would have much rather kept Reid.
As to the Opie since the defense is crumbling on its own the original question is moot
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 1, 2018 at 5:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

going in circles and never making any progress. Just like this regime.

Yeah....that's what I was going for....
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
They were overinflated from last year and not reliable at all. I think we extended the wrong guy in Tartt. I don't see any consistency there. Would have much rather kept Reid.

You can't be that uninformed or blind...Tartt is very consistent (always hurt)
We keep passing on all the studs in the draft like Mr. James, yesterday. Becoming obvious that we have s--t for brains scouts. Not a complete defensive rebuild but in that neighborhood. Need to go apes--t next year on D (draft one edge at least) and Lynch is going to have to grow a pair and pull the trigger on multiple free agents for this team to compete. A Safety, a corner or 2, a veteran ER if available.Although if York is pulling the strings on the let's leave 40+ million in cap space in the bank each year plan then we're screwed anyway.Kick the tires, kick the tires, kick the tires. Did our due diligence.
Share 49ersWebzone