LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 416 users in the forums

Postmortem of a loss

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Colbert's always trying to throw his shoulder in there to knock ball carriers down but dude fails more times than not. Can't stand it when he does that, wrap up like a man!!
Originally posted by Zealot:
Agree with doc's sentiment that the problem is league wide. There's examples in every game of backs and receivers busting two or three piss poor "tackles" on the way to moving the chains. Usually involves grabbing or attempted shoulder charges that the runner brushes through or bumps off with ease. I'd say fans of most teams would be pissed about tackling.

That's not what he said though. Good job trying to deflect. Some teams can tackle. We can't. That's what he said. Own up.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Zealot:
Agree with doc's sentiment that the problem is league wide. There's examples in every game of backs and receivers busting two or three piss poor "tackles" on the way to moving the chains. Usually involves grabbing or attempted shoulder charges that the runner brushes through or bumps off with ease. I'd say fans of most teams would be pissed about tackling.

That's not what he said though. Good job trying to deflect. Some teams can tackle. We can't. That's what he said. Own up.

What? I'm not trying to deflect anything or downplay our poor tackling technique or performances. I'm going by what I see watching games and here's the quote from doc...

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Just watch any game in the NFL, and you notice that GRABs, PULL DOWNs, and Bumpings are the tackle du jour. Every team seems to have it to lesser or greater extent. The RAIDS won courtesy of some monumentally bead grab tackling. And that was with MYles Garrett on the Browns...and no, he didn' T grab. It just seems to be everywhere.

The one team that figures this out first is going to have a huge leg up on the SB. Right now it is a matter of noting we have an endemic problem in the NFL...and that is caused by new safety rules.
That's his third post. The first two hold us accountable and I'll stick with those. We are the worst tackling team in the league. There's no excuse for it.
That's his third post. The first two hold us accountable and I'll stick with those. We are the worst tackling team in the league. There's no excuse for it.

That's fair enough and I'm not worried about how other teams perform but the fact it's a wider problem is of interest to me because I'm not used to seeing so much poor tackling across the board.
Reason beong $$$$$. Don't want to sign the vets
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Whilst I agree with your sentiment, they are limited by the CBA in terms of how many padded practices you're allowed.

Saleh says the right things in terms of tackling technique, however they aren't getting it, I'm not sure where the disconnect is, the players seem to like playing for Saleh, but they either don't respect him or his and other coaching styles are flawed.

Most of the tackling errors are made by the DBs--it is that coach who should be on the hot seat along with Saleh.
The easy answer is to practice, practice, and practice some more. However the CBA severely limits the amount of time teams can practice and only a little amount of time can be devoted to practice time in pads.

Tackling is about the fundaments and the players should know how to tackle at this point in their career. Yes we can blame coaching which we should but the players should be blamed too.
I am so glad you posted this. Agree 100%. It is painful to watch to the point where I actually don't want to watch. And I agree, it is becoming rampant across the NFL. One play after another the offensive guy running thru 2-5 lunging players that seem to have no arms. In my opinion this stems from a new culture of softness in the NFL:

1. Light off seasons - little contact - players get to the season and are not ready for the full speed contact.
2. Lack of toughness demanded by coaches - a la due to #1
3. Lack of accountability - and depth - when a player does it they aren't benched for poor play

The teams that figure out they can go big and heavy on offense will start to plow through soft teams. Did you see Andy Reid last night adapt and turn to Kareem Hunt to run over Denver at the end of the game? Looked a lot like Melvin Gordon running over the 9ers Sunday.
We were helpless to stop gordon.

I agree that tackling is bad all over the league. The Niners look worse than many of them but it may be because I watch them closer. I'm sure some of it is because the players are unsure of what is legal and what isn't and may be easing up. The helmet rule is a tough one since it is so hard to not hit a runner with your helmet while trying to reach out and wrap your arms around him at full speed. You lean forward to tackle and your head naturally goes down. The NFL has created a real problem with the new rule in the name of trying to reduce injuries but I don't see that it is helping. Still lot's of injuries and lots of players going to the sideline for concussion protocol. It's a violent game and you can't legislate that away without ruining the product.
We were helpless to stop gordon.

Dude is a beast though
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Colbert's always trying to throw his shoulder in there to knock ball carriers down but dude fails more times than not. Can't stand it when he does that, wrap up like a man!!

I seen DJ Reed to the same thing on one of Gordon's longer runs. He put his shoulder and head down and whiffed on the hit. Could have just went for his legs and make the tackle.
Lack of aggression on defense, poor tackling, and no pressure on the QB.
Ahhhh Man - even the national media is mocking the 49ers. https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/119487-one-play-chargers-shows-how-bad-49ers-tackling/

But if you watch this video closely you see a very common issue - watch #38 and #32, both of them are go to their knees and lunging with their arms to make a tackle - essentially shrinking from a full contact real tackle!! why is the coaching staff standing for that??
Share 49ersWebzone