There are 181 users in the forums

Breida & Morris Questionable -- Is it Raheem Mostert time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Matt Breida was listed to start, now he's questionable -- same with Alfred Morris. Is it RAHEEM MOSTERT time? We know the guy a great special teams player, probably the best gunner in the NFL. He's 5'10, 200 and a good blocker and pass protector. His speed is legendary. In his first collegiate season at Purdue, he set a school record as he averaged 33.5 yards a kickoff return, capped off with a 99-yard touchdown return in the bowl game. He finished the season with seven returns of 39 or more yards, including an 81-yarder at Indiana and a 74-yarder at Wisconsin. Against the Badgers, he racked up 206 yards on five kickoff returns to break 42-year-old school records for total yardage and average yards per return. And we have him on coverage?

Raheem is in his prime at age 26. He was ranked by NFL.com as the fastest college football player in the NCAA. His biggest problem in bouncing from team to team has been the fact he was UNDRAFTED and is automatically placed on special teams and not given a chance to compete at RB. This may be his opportunity. Raheem is the fastest of the 49er RBs, clocked in 4.34 to Breida's 4.39 and McKinnon's 4.41. Here he is in a run from scrimmage during last preseason.

He reminds me of a former 49er from long ago, J.D. Smith. He was drafted by the Bears as a RB, but they were so loaded there he returned kickoffs and played safety and linebacker. In 1956, the Niners picked him up on waivers and he played a couple of seasons as a kick returner and cornerback. Because of his speed and toughness, they let him play RB the last few games of 1958 and in his first game he ran for 113 yards on only 7 carries including an 80-yard TD. In 1959, they moved All-Pro halfback Hugh McElhenny to flanker and named JD as starting HB next to Joe Perry. He ran for 1,036 yards and 10 TDs, finishing 2nd in the league to JIm Brown.

When JD was traded in 1965 to Dallas for DB Mel Phillips, he was 4th in all-time 49er rushing at the time with 4,370 yards. I'd like to see history repeat itself when we least expect it. Hopefully, Raheem will get his chance.

MOSTERT STRAIGHT ARM.
[ Edited by kezarvet49 on Sep 28, 2018 at 8:01 PM ]
Damn, Joe Williams must have really sucked to not get a call back with our top 3 rbs out for the game
How t f do all of our RBs get taken out?

Shanny will find a Draughn and Dejuan of 2018.
Its never Raheem Mostert time. He's an amazing special teamer but is a subpar RB.
We're going to see a lot of this:

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Damn, Joe Williams must have really sucked to not get a call back with our top 3 rbs out for the game

Jeffrey Wilson would be the next on deck.
I like Wilson. Would like to see what he can do in a real game. I think these backup RB — it's the pass pro that we have to worry about—oh s**t! CJ!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Moster time = fumble time
Both questionable, but at least one will play and get majority of the touches. Mostert might get a handful of touches but not the lions share.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
They need to promote Wilson soon.

Sounds like Breida at the very least will be good to go tomorrow. He practiced Thursday and Friday, which is a good sign.

Zero chance of happening but it'd be funny if we brought Joe williams back after this week and he blew up (that's what happened his senior year at Utah when the Utes had their top 2 backs out due to injury)
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

We'll beg Rudy to come back and turn him into our lil secret weapon.

Saleh will somehow convince Shanny to have Marsh back him up since Marsh is getting over paid to not do s**t
I love Mostert in the VideoGame at RB (he's actually my main RB), but not in real life.

His vision is not good and he's shown issues with holding on to the ball.

He's also not as agile, even though he has that speed.
To be frank, we should probably elevate Wilson from the practice squad. He's a much better pure runner than Mostert with better vision and lateral movement ability. He can more consistently hit the hole and gets skinny like Breida instead of slamming into the back of linemen...

Raheem has arguably better straight line speed and would be fine to utilize underneath but I don't trust him if he had to get many carries. If I recall, he had fumbles in the preseason too.
They're playing tomorrow, per Schefter.
Share 49ersWebzone