There are 239 users in the forums

Tanking?

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨

Tanking?

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by English:
Yeah, other teams down to their 3rd string quarterback, their 2nd string running back, without their two starting receivers, linebackers, safeties, yeah, other teams would be just burning it up.

Breida has performed like a starter, Pettis was a 2nd round pick that should be classified as a starter, Tartt was starting. We aren't "down" to our 3rd string QB, Shanny benched CJ.

Foster is the only one that left a hole.

Disingenuous. Off the top of my head:

Our backup QB's are both second year developmental players, the one currently starting was an UDFA and 3rd string until a month ago - which means he's had almost no practice reps with starters until that point in the season (2nd string QB gets almost no practice snaps in season).
Our backup RB has played great as a starter, but has been carrying an injury that he aggravated again in warm ups yesterday. Hence why our 5th (McKinnon, Breida, Mostert, Morris and now Wilson) string RB carried the load - and he did well and has made himself the effective 4th choice RB. Oh and the 3rd string RB was our pro-bowl caliber special teams gunner who is now on IR.
At WR position, our two veteran outside WR starters are out with injury/personal concerns and have been dealing with injuries all season - leaving a rookie (just recovering from injury) a 2nd year player (been recovering from back surgery) and a 2nd year UDFA as starters for the last two games.

On defense, our starting WILL has been cut. His replacement (Smith) is playing injured and dinged up and it's questionable that he is starting quality.
Our starting strong safety has been dealing with injuries, we're blooding a rookie who's just come off IR.
We are on our 3rd free safety after losing Colbert and Ward, both of whom have been poor this season.
We've had a bit of a rotation at cornerback between Witherspoon, Ward and various others.
Our starting SAM, or at least preferred, was on IR for the first half of the season.
And lastly, and most importantly, we've had no quality at edge and been unable to consistently generate pressure.

I don't think there's another team in the league who wouldn't struggle like this, add in the fact we are in year 2 of a rebuild where we are hunting for starters never mind depth, and I think it's more than a little bit obvious as to why we're likely to have the worst record in the NFL this season.

Frankly, to have kept the team competitive until two weeks ago is a f**king miracle given the circumstances.
[ Edited by Buchy on Dec 3, 2018 at 7:50 AM ]
Do we have 5 or 6 picks in the next draft?
Originally posted by alwayssecond:

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Less chances to f**k up.
Rounds
1234 6
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Rounds
1234 6

This link gives us also a 7th pick

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/full_draft
Rounds
1234 6

It's a conditional pick after a trade and I don't remember the condition. I'll leave it to others to explain yea or nay. If tankathon says yea, then it is ours as of now.
win baby win!! WIN!!! WIN!!! WIN!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, other teams down to their 3rd string quarterback, their 2nd string running back, without their two starting receivers, linebackers, safeties, yeah, other teams would be just burning it up.

Breida has performed like a starter, Pettis was a 2nd round pick that should be classified as a starter, Tartt was starting. We aren't "down" to our 3rd string QB, Shanny benched CJ.

Breida is completely undependable because he cant stay on the field. Pettis wouldnt be starting at all if Goodwin and Garcon were both healthy. And whether or not you want to call Mullens 2nd or 3rd string the fact remains that he is an UDFA with a noodle arm. And you dont think losing Jimmy G left a hole for the Niners?

I dont think there is anyway the 49ers are battling for the 1st pick in the draft without all these injuries. At this point I am just praying they dont win a meaningless game and lose out on the Nick Bosa sweepstakes.
Rounds
1234 6

It's a conditional pick after a trade and I don't remember the condition. I'll leave it to others to explain yea or nay. If tankathon says yea, then it is ours as of now.

No 7th rounder, we traded it for Shon Coleman. The condition was passing his physical which he did.

Originally posted by LenCat:
win baby win!! WIN!!! WIN!!! WIN!!!!!!!!!

NEXT YEAR!!
If Shanny actually tanked a game he might as well just quit. They're professionals, there's no yeah my stats are down but the coach asked me to quit pro rated bonus. He'll lose the locker room and next year they will dive 1st chance they get if they think he's a clown.

I don't fault fans for rooting to lose I do it too and will now but we're going to play to win.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 8, 2018 at 8:49 AM ]

Or shanny thinks we have a better chance to lose with Mullens than CJ and that's why he's playing.

Breida has performed well but we were still down to our 2nd string back. We are now down to Jeff Wilson and I don't even know where he was on the depth chart at the start of the season.

Pettit was a 2nd round pick but both of our starting receivers were out. Goodwin may now play.

We are down to our 3rd string qb, the fact that CJ got injured then benched is irrelevant. Where was Mullen's on the depth chart at the start of the season? Answer: 3rd string.

Tartt was starting? Good for him. He is out now. Dekoda Wilson has now gone on injured reserve joining Ward, Mostert, and Moseley amongst others.. K'Waun Williams is questionable.

And to say that Foster is the only one that left a hole is, to say the least, bizarre. You don't see a Garoppolo-sized hole on the O? And whilst the others might not create a huge hole individually, there can be no question of the massive impact jointly.

Let's not try to pretend that the team is unaffected. This is a rebuilding team that can ill-afford this level of injury. To be down to the 3rd string quarterback, and it would be pure semantics to try to suggest that Mullens is anything else, would destroy virtually any post-salary cap team. As the Skins are likely to find out.
No, we are not tanking, we are sucking! Sally has to go! The offense, with all of its injuries can still put up points....our Ole' defense is letting teams score at will.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Dec 8, 2018 at 9:14 AM ]
Share 49erswebzone