LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Tanking?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Tanking?

Originally posted by thl408:
Bucs and Rams B team are the possible 49er wins imo. Need to hope NO and LAR are fighting for home field on week 17. No way OAK wins another game with their remaining schedule. Maybe Gruden and Carr can get in more arguments causing OAK to draft QB #1 overall.

Agreed. Tampa D is so bad and their offense isn't even clicking anymore with the QB carousel. Kind of crazy they're the only team to beat New Orleans.

Would be just our luck if we had #1 pick heading into the Rams game and they benched their guys and we won...would be Myles Garrett all over again. Only meaningless win worse than beating a crap team is beating the backups of a team resting their starters :(
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by thl408:
Bucs and Rams B team are the possible 49er wins imo. Need to hope NO and LAR are fighting for home field on week 17. No way OAK wins another game with their remaining schedule. Maybe Gruden and Carr can get in more arguments causing OAK to draft QB #1 overall.

Agreed. Tampa D is so bad and their offense isn't even clicking anymore with the QB carousel. Kind of crazy they're the only team to beat New Orleans.

Would be just our luck if we had #1 pick heading into the Rams game and they benched their guys and we won...would be Myles Garrett all over again. Only meaningless win worse than beating a crap team is beating the backups of a team resting their starters :(

I still remember after that game when Kap claimed that it was a win the team can build off of. Then that offseason Kap opts out of his contract and leaves.

He did some nice things for this franchise with Harbaugh but I'll always resent him for how it ended
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I still remember after that game when Kap claimed that it was a win the team can build off of. Then that offseason Kap opts out of his contract and leaves.

He did some nice things for this franchise with Harbaugh but I'll always resent him for how it ended

Yeah...so glad we won that game. Totally changed the culture

And I don't have an issue with Kap's politics or how he left...after all he would've been cut if he didn't opt out.

My big issue with him was how he handled the offseason going into his final year here. He had a pretty good opportunity with Chip Kelly's offense and while it's clear our talent wasn't very good he could've spent the offseason rehabbing from his injuries and working on his mental game then come into the season and win back his job and make some good things happen.

Instead he took the opportunity to make his protest which to me meant he spent plenty of time getting ready for it, researching it instead of going all in on football. I also found it hypocritical that he nixed the Denver trade due to the salary cut demands they had. For someone who said it's not about the money and him looking to change things...wouldn't going to the defending SB champs give him a much bigger platform versus being the backup on a chit team?

Add in the pig(cop) socks and it all came off more trollish than legit. Now before people jump down my throat I think he did double down on the protest and started to put his money where his mouth was but I think early on in the process it wasn't that much about getting people talking about it as he's always been given credit for.

Anyways...sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

Long story short - I want Nick Bosa on this team. He'll help us get back to winning consistently.

This is my fear! Just like a few years ago when Cleveland couldn't beat Pittsburgh as back ups as well. What a weekend that was. Thank you Solomon Thomas goodbye Garnett. Either way I think we are picking top floor which is great but we honestly deserve the number one pick after all the s**t we've been through
Originally posted by elguapo:

This is my fear! Just like a few years ago when Cleveland couldn't beat Pittsburgh as back ups as well. What a weekend that was. Thank you Solomon Thomas goodbye Garnett. Either way I think we are picking top floor which is great but we honestly deserve the number one pick after all the s**t we've been through

Very frustrating to keep getting early picks when the draft doesn't have elite talent matching our needs or we're out of reach of the one guy who is.

Hope the football Gods are nice to us cuz Nick would be the perfect guy for us.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran

Long story short - I want Nick Bosa on this team. He'll help us get back to winning consistently.

And if he doesn't, I'm holding you personally responsible. Damn you, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Not srs
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Just tank, baby!
Do not tank. If we try our damnedest to compete and lose ourselves into a high draft spot, the that's fine. But look at the past dynasty- they've always gave it 100%(well except that titans game and chiefs game a few years back lol) and never end up with top draft picks. I could argue that lower round picks bred into a winning culture of accountability commonly end up outperforming combine studs that end up on s**tty teams(ie the browns for 20 years). Plus you can attract higher caliber FA's if they know you take super runs seriously and will utilize hem to their fullest. I would love Bosa, but do the kid a favor and let him walk into a competitive culture with us, not just dudes collecting checks.
Tanking is for Cleveland teams.
We all know the players do not tank because they are playing for their jobs. So the only tanking might be a coaches decision to hold out a good player that's nicked up that could play anyway. So this whole tank theory is garbage unless the coaches start resting players or trying out new players.

Five of our games have been highly competitive which would have been wins with Jimmy so I think we all can see these players are giving up at all. I still want the first pick because I feel we deserve it, we keep missing out on players by one or two pics like Garnet or even Patrick Peterson back in the day

Originally posted by elguapo:
We all know the players do not tank because they are playing for their jobs. So the only tanking might be a coaches decision to hold out a good player that's nicked up that could play anyway. So this whole tank theory is garbage unless the coaches start resting players or trying out new players.

Five of our games have been highly competitive which would have been wins with Jimmy so I think we all can see these players are giving up at all. I still want the first pick because I feel we deserve it, we keep missing out on players by one or two pics like Garnet or even Patrick Peterson back in the day

"this whole tank theory is garbage" backed up by a straw man argument? No one ever said players tank. "Tanking" depends on your POV, anyway. A GM passing on moves to get better players on the field now is tanking. We're talking about now, not what future considerations he'd give up. A HC trying out players to "see who can play" or playing untested younger players instead of good vets is tanking. A HC not playing a good player with a borderline injury is tanking. He is intentionally not putting his best players on the field now. He is intentionally increasing the chance of losing the next game, i.e., tanking.
[ Edited by RTFirefly on Nov 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Tanking is for Cleveland teams.

Who cares - the higher we draft the better.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Just tank, baby!

This x 100000000000
You can't say that drafting higher guarantees a better player. On paper it should but it doesn't always work out that way. Some of our better players have been picked in the later rounds. I went back and looked at just the last 10 drafts for the league and there are guys nearly every year that were sure things and failed to deliver.
This is still a discussion on 2018?

Of course we should tank with our 2-8 record.

In our situation, no other way around it.
Share 49ersWebzone