Now what?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nothing is over !

until the 7th loss.
[ Edited by Curlin on Sep 25, 2018 at 8:17 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think if SF gets demolished over the course of the next couple games they should look at trading whomever they can (garcon, AA, Ward etc) even if it's not much.

Let all the younger players get as many snaps as possible. Look towards the draft to get top talent and move up for it if need be...and make big moves for proven vets in FA.

I 100% agree with you NY. Let's stop the AA experiment. It's detrimental to both the defense and to Thomas. This D has to learn how to play run D WITHOUT Armstead. It just has to. Neither of these players are long-term answers, the season is done so just let's act like it's 2019 and press reset on these players.

FWIW, Armstead is the 10th best run defender in the league. You don't just dump a guy like that because he doesn't have flaming red hair. It isn't his fault Saleh puts him on the end of the line.

Now what?

Let's see what Beathard can do before we "now what." He wouldn't be the first mediocre QB that succeeded because the team had a very good run game. Right now the 49ers have the second best run game in the league. Beathard doesn't have to be the second coming of Joe Montana for this offense to succeed.
Originally posted by dj43:
FWIW, Armstead is the 10th best run defender in the league. You don't just dump a guy like that because he doesn't have flaming red hair. It isn't his fault Saleh puts him on the end of the line.

Now what?

Let's see what Beathard can do before we "now what." He wouldn't be the first mediocre QB that succeeded because the team had a very good run game. Right now the 49ers have the second best run game in the league. Beathard doesn't have to be the second coming of Joe Montana for this offense to succeed.

i dont belive it. this guy gets pancaked every other play. maybe the other team stumbles over him for small yardage? i demand you post the analysis.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Sep 26, 2018 at 5:08 AM ]
Well, after thinking about this question for the past couple of days, my answer to it would be this.......become a more disciplined team.

Yes, this team is young but that is not an excuse for the appalling defensive lapses we observed against KC. Just inexcusable. As is always the case, the lack of discipline is both a coaching and player issue. Saleh's scheme appears to be too complex for the players (especially the guys in the secondary) to absorb so it is on him to make the adjustments. The players are clearly confused and thinking too much. We saw this against the first two opponents as well so Saleh seems to be slow on making those adjustments. With Sherman out for a couple of weeks now, the staff and players better get on the same page soon because CJ is going to need some help from the D.

This team is definitely better than the one CJ took over last season (better on the OL, at the WR position, and there has been growth from Breida and Kittle too). However, the defense is going to have to get off of the field on 3rd downs more consistently... I expect some real improvements on defense in the second half of the season because from this point on, this season is about improvement in all areas. They may not get to the playoffs but they can at least be respectable and competitive.

Cheers!

Now what?

According to whom? And it's waaaaaay to early to be doing rankings IMHO of anyone. Also - why run when you can pass all day on this secondary? I'm not saying you're wrong or the source you're alluding to is suspect, I just think context is everything when we starting talking about rankings at this stage of the season 3 games in.

That's fine but there's no way being the 11 best run defender commands his kind of salary and playing time. And if the 49ers want to keep him? Fine, just stop telling us that Solly out of position is "getting better." They need to choose. And if I Solly I'm can't wait to get out of San Francisco (if this persists) where there might be more opportunities with a DC who will put me in a position where I can really be effective.

Not sure why you would doubt this. Armstead is a beast and almost impossible to move off the LOS. He isn't a great pass rusher, but his ability to stop the run is top notch.
Berthard is terrible!! Mullins truly beat him play wise for the back up qb position but just like many other dumb moves berthard was given the job. Can't get the ball over line on consecutive throws without it batted down, play action is way to slow to develop and with our o-line..wow... Oh and about the o-line, The draft day stupidity to trade at the time our second best tackle and use our first choice on a tackle was HORRIBLE and un forgiveable. The decision to let REID walk because the other 2 tart and Colbert was somehow and upgrade. How is that working out? Shanahan keeps making this comment " we'll go with the hot hand at RB, however Breida is the one who is hot but yet he is constantly on sideline after huge runs.. wtf is going on???? Kap is better than anyone currently on the roster and who they worked out this week. Lastly at the end of kc game when refs cheated us out of a touchdown, kicking the field goal when your down 14 with 5 minutes left was just stupid
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Now what?

According to whom? And it's waaaaaay to early to be doing rankings IMHO of anyone. Also - why run when you can pass all day on this secondary? I'm not saying you're wrong or the source you're alluding to is suspect, I just think context is everything when we starting talking about rankings at this stage of the season 3 games in.

That's fine but there's no way being the 11 best run defender commands his kind of salary and playing time. And if the 49ers want to keep him? Fine, just stop telling us that Solly out of position is "getting better." They need to choose. And if I Solly I'm can't wait to get out of San Francisco (if this persists) where there might be more opportunities with a DC who will put me in a position where I can really be effective.

Not sure why you would doubt this. Armstead is a beast and almost impossible to move off the LOS. He isn't a great pass rusher, but his ability to stop the run is top notch.

Armstead may be a lot of things. A beast is not one.
Originally posted by 9erfaith4life:
Berthard is terrible!! Mullins truly beat him play wise for the back up qb position but just like many other dumb moves berthard was given the job. Can't get the ball over line on consecutive throws without it batted down, play action is way to slow to develop and with our o-line..wow... Oh and about the o-line, The draft day stupidity to trade at the time our second best tackle and use our first choice on a tackle was HORRIBLE and un forgiveable. The decision to let REID walk because the other 2 tart and Colbert was somehow and upgrade. How is that working out? Shanahan keeps making this comment " we'll go with the hot hand at RB, however Breida is the one who is hot but yet he is constantly on sideline after huge runs.. wtf is going on???? Kap is better than anyone currently on the roster and who they worked out this week. Lastly at the end of kc game when refs cheated us out of a touchdown, kicking the field goal when your down 14 with 5 minutes left was just stupid

Just how do you know Mullen beat out Beathard?
Originally posted by Hopper:

Now what?

Watch the guy take on triple teams. He holds them all static to allow other defenders to make tackles. Takes a best to hold up three 300 pound OL!
With all the media writing the Niners off and saying how they can't win without J.G. and Beathard sucks and blah, blah, flucking Blah!!!!

Remember we were 1 and 2 with J.G. This may not be much of a drop off at all at QB.

I hope CJB3 goes out and throws for 400 yards and 3 TDs in a ROMP!

..............F.U. MEDIA............

Originally posted by Hopper:

Now what?

Based on the play of the two throughout the preseason!!! Mullens outplayed Beathard and there is no question...
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Based on the play of the two throughout the preseason!!! Mullens outplayed Beathard and there is no question...

You're right. You better tell Shanny your thoughts right away. He decided to put Mullins on the PS and CJ 2nd string, coach f**ked up...... hurry go tell Lil Shanny Wayne he doesn't know what the hell he's doing, HURRY run, go tell him to let Mullen take over IMMEDIATELY. HUUUUUUUUUUUUURY!!!!!!!!! We got your back!!

So CJ is starting for fun is what you're saying?
No I'm saying cj sucks
Share 49ersWebzone