LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2018 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/191331-coaches-film-analysis-2018-season/

Not sure about the link. But, we always make a weekly thread to keep it standalone and then merge those weekly threads into the season thread near the end of the week.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
There was one play where it was a 3rd and short and this was in the 2nd half, and they dialed up a toss play or run play to the left and Buckner or the LEO got caught up inside and gashed this defense for a 7+ yard loss, and I think that *one* play made Saleh back off on the pass rush aggressiveness. I don't know why specially if you are up +17. On the TD in the 2nd half (3rd and 17), I didn't see an aggressive pass rush (ie dogs and stunts) or a blitz. Maybe I'm wrong but that 3rd and 17 was a moral breaker for our defense. That would be a great play to analyze and diagnose. 3rd and 17, how can your pass defense break down in that situation?
[ Edited by Giedi on Sep 18, 2018 at 11:55 AM ]
Saleh - I'm trying to give him a chance but some of these calls blow my mind. When we're trying to shut the door on the Lions comeback he overthinks himself and plays a cover - 6 and DET burns us for an easy TD. He also had some head scratching zone blitzes that cost us in this game. Another TD came off those. I really am trying to stick up for this guy but it's gonna get harder if he continues to call some games like this. There were 2 TD's in that game that were purely the result of bad defensive calls
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Sep 18, 2018 at 11:54 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
There was one play where it was a 3rd and short and this was in the 2nd half, and they dialed up a toss play or run play to the left and Buckner or the LEO got caught up inside and gashed this defense for a 7+ yard loss, and I think that *one* play made Saleh back off on the pass rush aggressiveness. I don't know why specially if you are up +17. On the TD in the 2nd half (3rd and 17), I didn't see an aggressive pass rush (ie dogs and stunts) or a blitz. Maybe I'm wrong but that 3rd and 17 was a moral breaker for our defense. That would be a great play to analyze and diagnose. 3rd and 17, how can your pass defense break down in that situation?

Yeah, that 3rd and 17 was.....awful. It felt like the entire team let up on that play. They had DET dead to rights and all they needed was to hold them on 3rd and 17 and.....bupkiss
Man if that's your opinion on Saleh, I dread thinking about how many points Mahomes and Andy Reid are gonna drop on us.
Just wanted to show we're not the only team that's had this happen for the first play of the game. DET has a chance for a big play and Stafford is locked into just running the play as called to get positive yards to start the game. Sherm bites on a PA and then allows the TE to get WIDE open. Imagine the fallout here if Jimmy did this, LOL.

Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Man if that's your opinion on Saleh, I dread thinking about how many points Mahomes and Andy Reid are gonna drop on us.

When he sticks to what we do well, it's not bad. It just seems like when we get in some crucial situations he overthinks things and tries to be too unpredictable but not in a good way. That play I talked about in the OP, the problem I have with that defense is that it's not dissimilar enough from what we normally run. Not sure why he chose that defense. We normally run a cover 2-zone in the redzone, so he decides to run cover-6(2+4). DET came out with a divide concept down the middle of the field. They ran a slot guy vertical to hold the safety and then the TE on a deep crosser with a flat route on that side. That will beat cover 2 all day long. Well, since he's in cover 6 and that side was the cover 2 side....easy. To me, if you're going to try and mix it up off your cover 2 zone, run a cover 3, or quarters, or fire zone. Something that will be dissimilar enough not to allow the opposing team to still work a cover 2 beater against your present defense.
Here's our first stop to get us off the field during the Lions's first drive.

DET is going to run an off-tackle run here. They're looking to get the ball in the 3 or 5 hole.

DJ Jones slants inside and the G is trying to cut block him. Buckner fires out nice and low which helps him keep his balance and protect himself against this happening. Jones is really quick off the snap and this defense tries to create a lot of disruption by having that player penetrate. Think of Brandon Mebane who played in Seattle for all those years.

Buckner does a real nice job of keeping his pad level low so that his blocker has to try and block him horizontally.

Jones's disruption blows this play up. His man, who tried to cut him, is now down of the field, he nearly gets the RB's ankle but still slows him down. Because Buckner kept his pad level low and was drive back his blocker gets tangled up in the mess Jones created and Buck's free to scrape and take out the RB.

1 yard gain on 3rd and 3 - punt.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Saleh - I'm trying to give him a chance but some of these calls blow my mind. When we're trying to shut the door on the Lions comeback he overthinks himself and plays a cover - 6 and DET burns us for an easy TD. He also had some head scratching zone blitzes that cost us in this game. Another TD came off those. I really am trying to stick up for this guy but it's gonna get harder if he continues to call some games like this. There were 2 TD's in that game that were purely the result of bad defensive calls

Jonny plz break down these 2 plays
Looking at the highlights Jimmy took way too many sacks. The main issue I have with it is that the protection was pretty good. Jimmy just stood in the pocket and would not move or let the ball go.

It's here! It's here!
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Jonny plz break down these 2 plays

I'll get there. Gonna show more stuff from the first 3 quarters mostly today. I'll probably have to shut err down for a few hours after 1 PM PT
Originally posted by northoakland510:
Looking at the highlights Jimmy took way too many sacks. The main issue I have with it is that the protection was pretty good. Jimmy just stood in the pocket and would not move or let the ball go.

Gotta have somewhere to throw it...I'm looking forward to see the all-22 view to see if he just missed guys open or what. As far as moving, a lot of those sacks there was nowhere to go he was right inside the pocket....he's not Michael Vick.

Imo you can't pin all those sacks on him.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 18, 2018 at 12:35 PM ]
Here's the first run of the game and shows how Shanny predicted and took advantage against Matt Patricia's usage of the Bear front Thl was talking about earlier in the full film thread.

Here, we run a counter play. We're going to fake a run to the left with the RB making a jab step that direction and pull the G, Tomlinsen, and Juice back around to the other side. The other blocks are downblocks.

The "Bear" front looks to cover up the 3 interior lineman. You see those 3 DLineman in close splits - that's the "bear" front. The disadvantage is that it gives some other players good angles on these guys as you can see.

We motion Pettis along as window dressing. This sells the run to the right as it looks like a play you see all these teams run where they run to the right and have a WR motioning across to hold the LBers. This causes a double hesitation from the LBers to hold them in the middle of the field and also holds the playside safety who has to respect the outside run now.

The angles give to Richburg and Person allow them easy seal off blocks and mcG is able to handle his guy alone as well. This allows Kittle to get a great angle on the LBer in the 2nd level.

Tomlinsen does a great job on his kickout block against the EMLOS. Look at these blocks, that's purrrdy. This gives Breida a clear read for inside or outside.

Breida sees color flash and makes a good, one-cut to the outside and follows Juice who, because of the Pettis action, has a great angle on the safety. McG does a really nice job of locking his man down.

Look at the lane the O-line creates. That's just how you draw it up.

Then Breida shows off his little Wiggle by making the safety miss and gains an extra 12 yards or so. A real nice way to open the game.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by northoakland510:

Gotta have somewhere to throw it...I'm looking forward to see the all-22 view to see if he just missed guys open or what. As far as moving, a lot of those sacks there was nowhere to go he was right inside the pocket....he's not Michael Vick.

Imo you can't pin all those sacks on him.
Yeah, I'll get to those maybe this evening. A couple, he does need to at least throw it away. It's hard when you don't want to risk an even worse negative play, like a strip sack or getting hit while throwing and give up an INT or something.
Share 49ersWebzone