There are 204 users in the forums

Anyone else unhappy with the broadcast?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Just tried to rewatch the first preseason broadcast and found it just as annoying as before.

Ted Robinson and his partner (can't remember his name) spent the entire first quarter focused on the freakin Cowboys. Did not bother mentioning the Niners starting lineup and could not correctly identify who was making plays for the Niners. Or who was subbin in for injured players or who was on the field. Got the starting O-line wrong and could not correctly ID who was on the O-line when Williams ran in the first Niner TD.

Then the 4th quarter was devoted to Al Guido talking thru and over all the action on the field including the ref's announcements of penalties=--so they're both talking at once and neither one can be heard.

And Dennis O'Donnel is the worst--the dunbest sideline reporter ever. "Did Jimmy G overthrow those passes because of the pressure he now feels as the face of th franchise?" How long did it take Dennis to come up with that stupid question?

The other guy is Tim Ryan. Never heard of that great former 49er? Neither has anyone else. He is terrible.

Al Guido is also terrible, dude should not be speaking for the franchise.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Aug 12, 2018 at 10:18 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
O'Donnel is just desperately trying to be a part of the telecast. He was the lead announcer a couple of years ago, now he's been demoted to being the sideline reporter.
The Guido thing was embarrassing. Blocking out calling the names of guys in on tackles or making blocks tho, was worse. Cripes i was watching to learn what Achoo had to offer, same for Buck/Solly side by side. And with Julian Taylor playing all game i could indentify him but the others......it was tough and those two guys did not help. So put me down with OND. Our guys in the booth graded out ...42 and 23 of a possible 100 pts.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The other guy is Tim Ryan. Never heard of that great former 49er? Neither has anyone else. He is terrible.

Tim Ryan was a Chicago Bear...I don't have a problem with him calling Niner preseason games (he's also brought on KNBR frequently once the season starts to offer team & player insights, etc., so I hear him all the time). I don't agree with everything he says but he obviously knows the game - more than me and I've followed this team and the NFL closely for 41 years. I know he's paid by the team and some people think he's too pro-Niners...I've heard him be very critical of players many times, though. Again, not the best but I've heard way worse (O'Donnell immediately comes to mind).

What don't you like about Guido? I think he's done well in representing the team whenever he speaks on T.V., the radio, etc. since joining the franchise. Just IMO. I do wish they'd shorten the time he's on these broadcasts such as this last game...I too want the focus to get back to the game, the young guys trying to make plays/trying to make the team, etc.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Aug 12, 2018 at 12:37 PM ]
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Tim Ryan was a Chicago Bear...I don't have a problem with him calling Niner preseason games (he's also brought on KNBR frequently once the season starts to offer team & player insights, etc., so I hear him all the time). I don't agree with everything he says but he obviously knows the game - more than me and I've followed this team and the NFL closely for 41 years. I know he's paid by the team and some people think he's too pro-Niners...I've heard him be very critical of players many times, though. Again, not the best but I've heard way worse (O'Donnell immediately comes to mind).

What don't you like about Guido? I think he's done well in representing the team whenever he speaks on T.V., the radio, etc. since joining the franchise. Just IMO. I do wish they'd shorten the time he's on these broadcasts such as this last game...I too want the focus to get back to the game, the young guys trying to make plays/trying to make the team, etc.

What does Ryan bring to the table as a mediocre former Bear? I would rather have a former 49er in that role.
Guido said it was "impossible" to put a shade structure up which is a lie and he wasn't u=impressive in the booth on Thursday.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Ryan is ok - they can do a lot worse.

What does Ryan bring to the table as a mediocre former Bear? I would rather have a former 49er in that role.
Guido said it was "impossible" to put a shade structure up which is a lie and he wasn't u=impressive in the booth on Thursday.

I would rather have a former 49er in Ryan's role as well - I wish it were my favorite player of all time (and probably from whom you created your handle), Lott. But for whatever reason, it's not the case right now and I do get some good insights into the team from Ryan on T.V. and radio as he is close to the team & players - I'll take what I can get. Regarding Guido and the "impossible" comment re: the shade thing, we know it's not "impossible" but it's for the meantime a team stance and not just from Guido. Do I wish they could do something to add some sort of shade on the sunny side? Yes, but this is California, it gets hot, and I've watched plenty of football in the blazing heat. Won't ever stop me from going to games at Levi's and the same goes for every season ticket holder I know.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Just tried to rewatch the first preseason broadcast and found it just as annoying as before.

Ted Robinson and his partner (can't remember his name) spent the entire first quarter focused on the freakin Cowboys. Did not bother mentioning the Niners starting lineup and could not correctly identify who was making plays for the Niners. Or who was subbin in for injured players or who was on the field. Got the starting O-line wrong and could not correctly ID who was on the O-line when Williams ran in the first Niner TD.

Then the 4th quarter was devoted to Al Guido talking thru and over all the action on the field including the ref's announcements of penalties=--so they're both talking at once and neither one can be heard.

And Dennis O'Donnel is the worst--the dunbest sideline reporter ever. "Did Jimmy G overthrow those passes because of the pressure he now feels as the face of th franchise?" How long did it take Dennis to come up with that stupid question?

also - there wasnt a single replay of the fumble.

like it didnt even happen
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

nothing is impossible. its code for "too expensive"
Originally posted by Jack49ers84:
I don't get what's wrong with the questions he asked. A reporter's job should be to ask the questions that the public has an interest in getting the answers to. It seemed like a reasonable question.

That JG was inaccurate and flustered because of the pressure of a contract? Dude was trying to create a narrative, nothing more. All that aside, what about those in game interviews in general. That I have more of a problem with, as they seem so contrived and unnecessary. Save it for the post game presser. Consult with your alter ego Sus and let me know your thoughts.

I would rather have a former 49er in Ryan's role as well - I wish it were my favorite player of all time (and probably from whom you created your handle), Lott. But for whatever reason, it's not the case right now and I do get some good insights into the team from Ryan on T.V. and radio as he is close to the team & players - I'll take what I can get. Regarding Guido and the "impossible" comment re: the shade thing, we know it's not "impossible" but it's for the meantime a team stance and not just from Guido. Do I wish they could do something to add some sort of shade on the sunny side? Yes, but this is California, it gets hot, and I've watched plenty of football in the blazing heat. Won't ever stop me from going to games at Levi's and the same goes for every season ticket holder I know.

I can listen to Ronnie Lott talk football for hours on end. He would be awesome!

I can listen to Ronnie Lott talk football for hours on end. He would be awesome!

Agreed. Lott fires me up whenever I hear him talk about football! Anyway, I agree with you, Woo...the preseason broadcasts could definitely be better. Honestly, and I said it before...I'll just take what I can get re: anything about the Niners and info. I'm just extremely happy football season is back! (Side note: Though I may or may not always agree with your posts, I really respect you as a poster on this forum and what you have to contribute).
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Aug 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM ]
Man, if you think that broadcast was bad you should have watched the Patriots vs Washington game. It was the New England local broadcast team and boy, did they bring homer-ism to a new level. Besides their shear ignorance of what was going on, they continued to throw praise on Patriot players even after bad plays. They're just so drunk on Brady and Belichick, they think they are exactly where they should be. If I were a Pats fan, I'd be worried.

That said, yeah, not real happy with the local broadcast team in Santa Clara. They should replace Robinson with Papa next season.
[ Edited by vermonator on Aug 12, 2018 at 2:38 PM ]
Tim Ryan
Turn TV down
Share 49ersWebzone