LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

CONTROVERSY BREWING AT THE DL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Are the 2nd stringers (D-linemen) really been playing better than the starting unit??

DE - Ronald Blair

DT - Sheldon Day

DT - DJ Jones

DE - Julian Taylor
I don't think anyone is outplaying DeFo and Taylor's been getting reps with the 1's in place of AA being injured(what!?!?! what a shocker!). I doubt anyone is gonna hold down the LEO spot against the run better than S. Thomas. He's absolutely elite vs the run in base LEO packages.
Taylor is an upgrade over the bust Armstead. This is established already.

Unfortunately, Saleh will probably still start AA once he comes back. Just mind blowing to me. Do not understand what the point is anymore
It's only a good thing to have 8-9 guys on the DL that can play and be rotated in. Plus, if guys like Sheldon Day and Thomas perform well in the interior, it gives us more freedom to move Defo around.
No
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Unfortunately, Saleh will probably still start AA once he comes back. Just mind blowing to me. Do not understand what the point is anymore

I think they want to play him so they convince themselves if he's the future or not.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i do not think that is controversy . whoever is playing well whether it be a kid or a vet. if it makes us better so beit. the only bad part is if you have lots playing well. who to cut . who to keep. and someone like our rookie 7th rounder does not deserve to be cut if he continues to do well and if AA.. oh never mind
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

f**k.. he better not. lucky for us. aa may never come back.. you are so so right
  • dj43
Is this thread really a discussion about depth on the DL or just another thread for those who believe Armstead should be cut?

This thread will be watched and if it remains about depth, it will be allowed, if not, it will be merged with the Armstead thread.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Is this thread really a discussion about depth on the DL or just another thread for those who believe Armstead should be cut?

This thread will be watched and if it remains about depth, it will be allowed, if not, it will be merged with the Armstead thread.

I think it's going to turn into another cut AA thread.

Originally posted by mayo49:

i wonder who will be responsible of that ?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Not me, I've been a AA supporter.
I think Day should be starting at nose, with DJ Jones backing up. Mitchell, probably cut.

Blair. I can't really tell if the coaching staff likes him. I am guessing no since he is a Baalke pick. I thought he would be a dark horse candidate at LEO for some reason, but they don't seem to love the idea. Maybe a cut candidate.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Aug 8, 2018 at 10:13 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

There are also ways to deal with someone who makes that their purpose.
I think Day should be starting at nose, with DJ Jones backing up. Mitchell, probably cut.

Blair. I can't really tell if the coaching staff likes him. I am guessing no since he is a Baalke pick. I thought he would be a dark horse candidate at LEO for some reason, but they don't seem to love the idea. Maybe a cut candidate.

He's a rotational player who can play base LEO or BE. I like Blair, I think there's untapped potential there and he could be the rotational guy Tank Carradine was but an all around more solid player. I've liked Blair since he was drafted and have felt like different circumstances just haven't lined up for him yet.
Share 49ersWebzone