LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Greg Papa - 49ers' play-by-play caller

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
More and more time goes by, and the truly irreplaceable voice of Joe Starkey continues to echo in our memories. Absolute legend.

I hope Papa can create some memorable calls for years to come like Starkey did. Robinson had one at least but overall I've found him to be pretty bland. Hoping for the best.

To think that in 1987-1988 we had Lon Simmons doing play by play and Joe Starkey doing color. Amazing.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
What are you smoking Robinson is a great announcer. Not necessarily for football but he's a master play-by-play guy for things like the Olympics and tennis. Also does some basketball. So he's actually way more versatile than Papa who only does football.

Papa has also done baseball play by play as well as basketball (the Warriors). He is an outstanding basketball announcer. Many feel it was a huge mistake when the Warriors let him go (including me).

Should have never let him go - Fitz is horrible.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Yup, Papa was fired by the Raiders because he publicly questioned Mark Davis. Papa basically said his loyalty to the Raiders died with Al Davis.

What a phony. Could your love for the Niners ever die?
It's all about the sound of the voice. Jon Miller and Dave Flemming are great apparently but I don't jive with the excitement they create with their voices. Lon Simmons was awesome and I do miss Starkey. However Robinson sounds TO ME like my neighbor announcing. I don't like his voice. Papa was a Raider now he's a 49er. We cheer for laundry so why are announcers different??? Papa generates excitement with his voice imo.
Yess siir

Already better than that tennis/baseball announcer
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Sooo much better. I felt sorry for that girl who works for the 49ers media team. Papa was dropping so much football knowledge that probably had her head spinning.

ICYMI

[ Edited by Heroism on Jul 27, 2019 at 7:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

Sooo much better. I felt sorry for that girl who works for the 49ers media team. Papa was dropping so much football knowledge that probably had her head spinning.

ICYMI

I don't know, Ted kept to being a very good color man and allowed the ex NFL player to analyze. Ted was also good at asking questions as if he didn't know something to get the analyst to explain further. I'm sure Ted new the answer but he was very good at not crossing the line.

Papa is badass but he is like the Al Davis of color guys, you know he wants to be an analyst like Al wanted to be GM/Coach.

This. Completely this.
Good football knowledge. But at times seems to ramble.

Papa and Ryan will be fun
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm going to miss Ted - he was solid.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I miss Starkey, not Ted.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by mayo49:

I miss Starkey, not Ted.

Yeah, I miss Starkey, too.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't know, Ted kept to being a very good color man and allowed the ex NFL player to analyze. Ted was also good at asking questions as if he didn't know something to get the analyst to explain further. I'm sure Ted new the answer but he was very good at not crossing the line.

Papa is badass but he is like the Al Davis of color guys, you know he wants to be an analyst like Al wanted to be GM/Coach.

You don't know what a color man is

HINT: look up the definition of "play-by-play" vs "color commentator" (it's the difference between Summersll and Madden). Of the two between Robinson & Ryan, whom is Papa replacing???

Edit: yes, Papa will have his anecdotes and quips here and there, but his main function is to describe the action of each play
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jul 27, 2019 at 10:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone