LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Offseason proof 49ers are aiming for contention in 2019

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by mojave45:
I have never been one of those posters. I am grounded in reality, but with a positive vibe about where we are headed. That doesn't mean luck and the Football Gods can't play a role,either positive or negative that can change things.

If we stay on this course we are going to be a force in the NFC West for years, not for one or two seasons. Completely different philosophy than what the Rams are doing.

i am sure the rams are thinking of ways to be a good team beyond next year. i do not buy the theory that the rams are going all in this year then are just throwing their hands up and surrender to the niners in 2019

They went with Vets and traded a bunch of draft picks. The didn't have many draft picks this season, and I think they traded a 1st next season. If even 1 or 2 of the guys they traded for leave, they will be put in a tough spot. They also have a bunch of guys up for contracts.
  • bvc49
  • Veteran
We have Jimmy at 5-0 after a mid season trade and coming in off the bench, at least 7 rookies contributed last year, we dropped some dead weight and added some quality talent through FA. If we get 2 day one starters out of this draft, I think we win at least 11 games.

The running game without Hyde, who I was never really a fan of, is more a question mark for me than our pass rush. Barring injury, I can't see the pass rush worse than last year especially because I think the DBs are a good unit.

I think our offense will average over 24 points a game and will control the clock. I think our D heading into year two will take big steps forward. I just don't see 6 games on the schedule that can out score us.
I have never been one of those posters. I am grounded in reality, but with a positive vibe about where we are headed. That doesn't mean luck and the Football Gods can't play a role,either positive or negative that can change things.

If we stay on this course we are going to be a force in the NFC West for years, not for one or two seasons. Completely different philosophy than what the Rams are doing.

i am sure the rams are thinking of ways to be a good team beyond next year. i do not buy the theory that the rams are going all in this year then are just throwing their hands up and surrender to the niners in 2019

Not in 2019 maybe ,but they have mortgaged their future for sure with all the draft picks they gave away. It's impossible to give that many picks away and it not have an impact down the road.

The Rams are still going to have a lot of draft capital. If im not mistaken they are receiving several comp picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds next year. They traded away picks for proven young players. Yes those players are going to cost sooner than later, but their cap is healthy and their future isn't the dumpster fire most Niners fans want to believe it is. The Rams will be competitive for several years at their current pace.
Originally posted by pd24:

They went with Vets and traded a bunch of draft picks. The didn't have many draft picks this season, and I think they traded a 1st next season. If even 1 or 2 of the guys they traded for leave, they will be put in a tough spot. They also have a bunch of guys up for contracts.

That is the biggest reason they are going all in.
  • bvc49
  • Veteran

They are trying to build a stadium and need to find or make new fans now

That risk they seem comfortable taking is the one area I will criticise. Trading a high draft pick for a player in the last year of their deal and allowing them to play out that last year and possibly leave is a risk I'd very rarely take. I am sure they wish they had the 2nd they traded for Sammy, but they are going to get a 3rd comp back so not as devastating as it might have been, but still, they traded essentially 2 rounds for 1 year of Sammy.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Not in 2019 maybe ,but they have mortgaged their future for sure with all the draft picks they gave away. It's impossible to give that many picks away and it not have an impact down the road.

The Rams are still going to have a lot of draft capital. If im not mistaken they are receiving several comp picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds next year. They traded away picks for proven young players. Yes those players are going to cost sooner than later, but their cap is healthy and their future isn't the dumpster fire most Niners fans want to believe it is. The Rams will be competitive for several years at their current pace.

I believe they are going to pay, and pay heavily in the long term. I have no illusions that they haven't made good moves for the next two, maybe three years.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
We will win more games this year. This isn't a team ready to go deep into the playoffs. Not yet. They are definitely looking at building long term with their philosophy, that doesn't mean the team doesn't get incrementally better in the short term. When we look back at the start of 2019,and review what Lynch and Shanahan put on the field next year vs what we had in 2017 when they took over, and what they did this year, it is going to be a wow moment.

They want to win, but they are definitely not throwing everything they have into winning it all right now while mortgaging the future.

right now this team is an 8 win team. maybe 9. IF the defense improves and IF the guards come through and the new rookie tackle does this job

They won 5 out of 5 with Jimmy. 11 win team with him, at least.

Maybe. Don't forget that we have an all new oline, a rookie tackle, no Reuben Foster we can count on, and no proven #1RB. I will be surprised if we don't win 8 games , but I think we can win more... But I am certainly not in the crowd that thinks we are going to Magically have everything gel together in day one of the season.

If everything gelled on day one they would be a 13 win team

Lol, I love your optimism Woo.

I just don't share it yet. But I would rather be happily surprised than have my expectations crushed.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by valrod33:
Lynch isnt drafting for the future, he is just a real s**tty drafter. He has no idea what he is doing, he is trying to be too cute.

He wont be a GM for his full 6 years of contract

This
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Lynch isnt drafting for the future, he is just a real s**tty drafter. He has no idea what he is doing, he is trying to be too cute.

He wont be a GM for his full 6 years of contract

This

We will win more games this year. This isn't a team ready to go deep into the playoffs. Not yet. They are definitely looking at building long term with their philosophy, that doesn't mean the team doesn't get incrementally better in the short term. When we look back at the start of 2019,and review what Lynch and Shanahan put on the field next year vs what we had in 2017 when they took over, and what they did this year, it is going to be a wow moment.

They want to win, but they are definitely not throwing everything they have into winning it all right now while mortgaging the future.

right now this team is an 8 win team. maybe 9. IF the defense improves and IF the guards come through and the new rookie tackle does this job

And given what where we have been as a team for the last three years that's a freaking miracle upgrade while building for the future.
will not disagree. it is just funny. just when we get alot of people being logical and saying we are not a deep run in the playoff team yet. then people start with 11 12 win team, no reason why we can not win the division etc. i think grant is right in the fact.. i think the little win streak we had. while good and positive at the time. means nothing now and i think in some respects it made some people think our problem areas we had before the win streak are somehow no longer there

Yes, clearly the 49ers have the same qb problem they had to start the 2017 season.
of course you knew i did not mean that but cherry pick away

The o-line was addressed as well. You chose to saybthstbthen49ers have the same problem areas of last year, ypu can't whine about people pointing out the areas that have improved.
The QB is the most important upgrade ypu chose not to note that improvement.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
They won 5 out of 5 with Jimmy. 11 win team with him, at least.

that was last year. i am sure jimmy and the niners will catch no one by surprise this year. if we just pick up right where we left off and win five in a row to begin the year. great. but we have questions on the o line.pass rush. secondary overall tackling. i do not see an 11 win team . 8 now,. if we do a few things well that we struggled in last year 9. ten would be a positive shock pleasant surprise to me.

The o-line had more holes during the last 5 games of the season last year.
The 49ers don't have to start 5-0 to go 11-5.
We struggled mightily with the QB for 11 games last year and some of us think they improved at that position with Jimmy G.

please tell me who does not think we are better at qb than we were before jimmy. i am always being asked for links and proof so i think i will do the same please.. who said we are not happy with jimmy and are improved there?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Maybe. Don't forget that we have an all new oline, a rookie tackle, no Reuben Foster we can count on, and no proven #1RB. I will be surprised if we don't win 8 games , but I think we can win more... But I am certainly not in the crowd that thinks we are going to Magically have everything gel together in day one of the season.

good post. that crowd you speak of does exist in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
so if the other stuff happens we will have more than 8-9 wins .. or your 8-9 is pending on the scenarios come to fruition ?

right now its 8 win team to me,,, if we can rush the passer., and protect jimmy. its a 9 win team,, that is assuming our offense will be this juggernaut everyone says it will be

So, ten wins would probably make you feel pretty positive about the direction the team is going, right?
anything past 8 wins would make me feel good about our direction. 7 or less would be a setback in my opinion. i am not the one running around predicting 11 wins
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
anything past 8 wins would make me feel good about our direction. 7 or less would be a setback in my opinion. i am not the one running around predicting 11 wins

That sound pretty reasonable to me.
Share 49ersWebzone