LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Offseason proof 49ers are aiming for contention in 2019

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Will. Not. Click.

But I do agree that this draft had 2019 in it's sights.

McGlinchey - 2018/2019 (because Brown is gone/Staley may be gone in 2019)
Pettis - 2019 (Garcon may be gone)
Warner - 2019 (M.Smith may be gone)
Moore - 2019 (Sherman may be gone)
Street/Taylor - 2019 (Armstead may be gone)
Reed - 2019 (Ward may be gone)
Harris - 2018/19 (C.James may be gone)
James - 2018/2019 (bonus depth for Taylor)

And that is how great teams stay successful.

Teams like the Rams may have a good season or two but they are definately not set up for long term success. A few injuries and they are done. They have no depth and trading away All those draft picks will come back to haunt them.
Originally posted by thl408:
I skimmed through the article and I agree with the main point of the article. I actually came to the same conclusion after the draft. The 49ers are planning for the future. They want a prolonged window of success, not, "balls to the wall, SB or bust in 2018". And it makes a lot of sense. The 5 game win streak may have fans expecting a lot in 2018, but it's still year #2 of a total rebuild. I think that was the point of the article. I could take it a step further and say they are planning to contend in 2020 when the defense is matured.
I don't agree at all.

This team has a top 5 QB (at least Jimmy is paid like one) and every time you have that you are contending. Who cares if your defense gives up 24 a game when your offense scores 30 a game? The offense just might be the biggest boost to the defense, as well. A team doesn't need Willis, Bowman, J. Smith and A. Smith on defense to win.
Originally posted by zugschef:
I skimmed through the article and I agree with the main point of the article. I actually came to the same conclusion after the draft. The 49ers are planning for the future. They want a prolonged window of success, not, "balls to the wall, SB or bust in 2018". And it makes a lot of sense. The 5 game win streak may have fans expecting a lot in 2018, but it's still year #2 of a total rebuild. I think that was the point of the article. I could take it a step further and say they are planning to contend in 2020 when the defense is matured.
I don't agree at all.

This team has a top 5 QB (at least Jimmy is paid like one) and every time you have that you are contending. Who cares if your defense gives up 24 a game when your offense scores 30 a game? The offense just might be the biggest boost to the defense, as well. A team doesn't need Willis, Bowman, J. Smith and A. Smith on defense to win.

If they can win now, why wait?
  • thl408
Originally posted by zugschef:
I don't agree at all.

Three of their first five picks aren't counted on to contribute much in 2018. Pettis has to win snaps over the top 3 from last season. Best case he's sharing snaps with them. Moore has to learn a new position. I'd be surprised if he picked it up quick enough to earn a spot among the top 4 this season. Street is injured. Those are picks with the future in mind.
Both their prized free agents are 26 or younger. Guys that will be entering their primes while with the 49ers. Future based moves.

I never said the team needs Willis, Bow, Justin, and Aldon on defense to win. You talking about, 'having a franchise QB means you are contending', means you and I have different definitions of contending. I don't think the roster is ready to contend for a SB, and I'm glad the front office is making moves weighted towards the future beyond 2018.

Do you think that the front office made their free agency pickups and draft selections thinking, '2018 is the year', or do you think the majority of their moves were geared towards beyond 2018? The topic isn't, "can the 49ers contend in 2018", the topic is, "the 49ers recent offseason moves are for 2019+".
I don't think that these moves are for contention in 2019. These moves are just a long-term approach which is smart. But I don't think they don't plan to contend in 2018 either.

They have their Brady and enough chess pieces for Shanahan to play with on offense. They added the best FA-Center to back that up. They have three early first-rounders in their Dline. They drafted an under the radar linebacker in Warner, they drafted a lot of dbacks to create competition and added Sherman as a role-model and leader who will more likely than not start for them. They could still bring back Dumervil.

To say that they didn't address immediate issues is debatable.
Yes this team will contend this year IMO but there are still needs, a legit starting G instead of Tomlinson or Cooper, hoping Garnett becomes what we all thought, a Number 1 WR, Yes we have a good group but a Legit number 1 would make this group top 5 easily, and a dominate pass rusher..5 picks this year I can see becoming starters, Mcglinchey obviously, Pettis, Warner, Street and Reed...idk anything about the kid Moore lol
Originally posted by susweel:
Grant is one of the better local writers, dude is usually spot on with his analysis.

Is that you Grant!!
If the 49ers revitalized offense with year 2 of Shanahan, new players and year 1.5 for Jimmy G can get this team to 9-10 wins, that to me would be a successful season.

And then in 2019, you can make the defensive moves to threaten NFC supremacy like it's 2011.
This just in. Teams draft for the future.
Originally posted by susweel:
Grant is one of the better local writers, dude is usually spot on with his analysis.

Sarcasm, obviously, because Grant knows diddly and cant do analysis beyond the first syllable.

Anyway, on the subject in hand, didnt Lynch or Shanahan go public a while back that they were looking to build in the long term, a team that would stay in contention?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Why you creating a thread for this dips**t?

Every time he posts a new article...........are you Grant?
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Will. Not. Click.

But I do agree that this draft had 2019 in it's sights.

McGlinchey - 2018/2019 (because Brown is gone/Staley may be gone in 2019)
Pettis - 2019 (Garcon may be gone)
Warner - 2019 (M.Smith may be gone)
Moore - 2019 (Sherman may be gone)
Street/Taylor - 2019 (Armstead may be gone)
Reed - 2019 (Ward may be gone)
Harris - 2018/19 (C.James may be gone)
James - 2018/2019 (bonus depth for Taylor)

And that is how great teams stay successful.

Teams like the Rams may have a good season or two but they are definately not set up for long term success. A few injuries and they are done. They have no depth and trading away All those draft picks will come back to haunt them.

I think we could have gotten more immediate starters this year that would be even better in 2019 but I have no issue with the overall plan itself. They are on 6 year contracts and they want to "build it right" in their mind, hence the 2019 approach.
Three of their first five picks aren't counted on to contribute much in 2018. Pettis has to win snaps over the top 3 from last season. Best case he's sharing snaps with them. Moore has to learn a new position. I'd be surprised if he picked it up quick enough to earn a spot among the top 4 this season. Street is injured. Those are picks with the future in mind.

Both their prized free agents are 26 or younger. Guys that will be entering their primes while with the 49ers. Future based moves.

I never said the team needs Willis, Bow, Justin, and Aldon on defense to win. You talking about, 'having a franchise QB means you are contending', means you and I have different definitions of contending. I don't think the roster is ready to contend for a SB, and I'm glad the front office is making moves weighted towards the future beyond 2018.

Do you think that the front office made their free agency pickups and draft selections thinking, '2018 is the year', or do you think the majority of their moves were geared towards beyond 2018? The topic isn't, "can the 49ers contend in 2018", the topic is, "the 49ers recent offseason moves are for 2019+".

Bingo.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
These guys have been in the NFL a long time. Every team has a Grant Cohn or Kawakami type. I don't think this is their first experience with it.

Have you never watched another teams press conference? You've never seen Belichik's death glare? It's not just Shanahan that gets annoyed by stupid questions.

The new york and philly media are brutal
Lynch isnt drafting for the future, he is just a real s**tty drafter. He has no idea what he is doing, he is trying to be too cute.

He wont be a GM for his full 6 years of contract
Share 49ersWebzone