LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 377 users in the forums

49ers have NFLs most expensive offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
I'm guessing our offense was the cheapest until we signed Jimmy

No, but like I posted yesterday, we drop to 15th highest next year and will only be 1.8 mil away from 18th and all but a handful of teams that are spending less than us for next year have QB's on rookie deals.

FYI, the only players whose contracts would be up on offense are Laken Tomlinsen and Jonathan Cooper.

gotta love that perspective!
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I'm guessing our offense was the cheapest until we signed Jimmy

No, but like I posted yesterday, we drop to 15th highest next year and will only be 1.8 mil away from 18th and all but a handful of teams that are spending less than us for next year have QB's on rookie deals.

FYI, the only players whose contracts would be up on offense are Laken Tomlinsen and Jonathan Cooper.

gotta love that perspective!

This thread is literally a joke with all the front loading we did on contracts.
We need to cut the deadweight. I nominate Garnett.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

I love then spending on offense but I think the defense could use some more help.
No reason not to be excited about the revamped offense. It seems like those who are criticizing the characterization of the offense as the most expensive are trying to temper expectations.

I think JD said it previously, 49ers are buying offense and drafting defense. I kinda like that approach actually.

Yup, it's kinda different because SF went from having zero at QB to having to pay top 3 money for the most important position in sports....that doesn't really ever happen.

I also think that FA dictates where money goes...overall this was a poor market for premium defensive FAs, but there was quality on the offensive side of the ball at RB/OL even WR to a pt and that's where the cash was allocated towards.

I have to agree. One other thing I'll add is that when you *buy* offense, you can actually (I think) have a longer term deal than if you draft a player. Unless he's a first round pick - you get a 4 year deal (let me know if I'm wrong), if you *buy* an offensive player, you can structure the deal for as long as you think is appropriate. I think the 49ers would have structured a minimum 5+ year deal for Jimmy but for the 2020 CBA ending and so they capped it essentially at 2020 and probably will renegotiate around before or during the next CBA period. In other words you can *lock up* offensive players longer if you get them in free agency. That's key to offenses in that the longer you play in an offense, the better you get - even if nothing changes other than time together.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
We need to cut the deadweight. I nominate Garnett.

Considering he's only got a $2.5 million dollar cap hit and it would actually cost the team more in dead money ( $3.8 million) that's not gonna happen...try again
Share 49ersWebzone