There are 259 users in the forums

49ERS release Mike Person

Originally posted by Oldninervids:
Being from Montana is equivalent to being born into Sparta/300. Was sad when we cut him, Jim and his old man really liked him even if he played in a lower division college program. He had no chance, baalke hated this pick and made up his mind the second we drafted him. His fate was musical chairs with him on and off the team and practice squad

Haha well being from Montana, I must say I love this analogy! Mike played for my alma mater as well and I watched him play quite a bit! He was a badass at that level, and even though he will never be that in the NFL, he can be a solid all around dude that can backup multiple positions. He may not have the physical gifts of some of these dudes, but he loves to compete!
Originally posted by MTninerfan:
Originally posted by Oldninervids:
Being from Montana is equivalent to being born into Sparta/300. Was sad when we cut him, Jim and his old man really liked him even if he played in a lower division college program. He had no chance, baalke hated this pick and made up his mind the second we drafted him. His fate was musical chairs with him on and off the team and practice squad

Haha well being from Montana, I must say I love this analogy! Mike played for my alma mater as well and I watched him play quite a bit! He was a badass at that level, and even though he will never be that in the NFL, he can be a solid all around dude that can backup multiple positions. He may not have the physical gifts of some of these dudes, but he loves to compete!

And he knows the system. Always a plus.

Former Niners seventh round pick, has bounced around the league, changes teams every year, but he's managed to stay in the league since 2011. Destination unknown...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Person was with ATL when Shanny was OC so there is some familiarity there.
Time to give this kid some love; whether it's his job to lose or not.

Originally posted by NCommand:

That surprises me. I wonder why so few starts? He did getb14 of his career starts the year he was with Kyle in ATL.
Originally posted by Garoppolis:

Former Niners seventh round pick, has bounced around the league, changes teams every year, but he's managed to stay in the league since 2011. Destination unknown...

lol Didn't know Lady Gaga front a band way back in the 80's
Person picked a great time to take the smelling salts. Watching him block, however, makes one wonder why he hasn't been starting the last 7 yrs. 3 weeks ago we had NO starting OGs. NONE. Then Laken catches fire, and then a couple weeks ago , Garnett comes alive. Just in time, but right now is a whole lot better than never. And regardless of who starts, the big plus is that we have a good OG/OT who can both backup and start...and do well at both. That is leaving our OL kind of thin, but one top flite backup is a whole lot better than NONE.

I still feel we have a "cut " from elsewhere inbound for SF as of end of PS.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

That surprises me. I wonder why so few starts? He did getb14 of his career starts the year he was with Kyle in ATL.

Good question. IIRC, he played on mostly power teams including us when Baalke drafted him. The one time he played for Kyle in a zone scheme he was a good starter for him; maybe history is repeating itself?

• dj43
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Person picked a great time to take the smelling salts. Watching him block, however, makes one wonder why he hasn't been starting the last 7 yrs. 3 weeks ago we had NO starting OGs. NONE. Then Laken catches fire, and then a couple weeks ago , Garnett comes alive. Just in time, but right now is a whole lot better than never. And regardless of who starts, the big plus is that we have a good OG/OT who can both backup and start...and do well at both. That is leaving our OL kind of thin, but one top flite backup is a whole lot better than NONE.

It is interesting that a position of obvious need a year ago is now a strength.

The big surprise is Person. Who would have thought he would be back in the mix?
Originally posted by dj43:

I remember when Baalke drafted him as a Tackle.
Originally posted by MTninerfan:

I was born in Montana got tons of family out there

Probably none of us Dj. Sure was a surprise, but Lordy, one we desperately needed. Now maybe kyle and JL had this all planned long in advance, but does anybody believe it? One would have to say that altho this was cutting it pretty close to the finish, it still got done. It does make one think that this GM/HC do have something special going on tho. And , as with the JG deal, they have had some real luck involved. It is nice to be good . It is great to be lucky. But to be good and lucky? Well, that seems to be our guys. They certainly have been well prepared . But on the smarts scale, i would rate both off the charts. And not too very long ago, i recall reading some folks who really questioned why JL was chosen as GM. Well, you don't read that stuff much anymore.
  • dj43

Probably none of us Dj. Sure was a surprise, but Lordy, one we desperately needed. Now maybe kyle and JL had this all planned long in advance, but does anybody believe it? One would have to say that altho this was cutting it pretty close to the finish, it still got done. It does make one think that this GM/HC do have something special going on tho. And , as with the JG deal, they have had some real luck involved. It is nice to be good . It is great to be lucky. But to be good and lucky? Well, that seems to be our guys. They certainly have been well prepared . But on the smarts scale, i would rate both off the charts. And not too very long ago, i recall reading some folks who really questioned why JL was chosen as GM. Well, you don't read that stuff much anymore.

On the matter of GM/HC being competent; if you hit on a deal or two, you might be considered lucky. However, when you hit on five or six (Goodwin, Tomlinson, Person, Morris, Garoppolo, Sherman), you must begin to give them props for being prepared and ready to move at just the right time.
Share 49ersWebzone