LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

49ers sign UDFA Coleman Shelton, C Washington

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Niners picked up UDFA Coleman Shelton, 6-3, 299 C from University of Washington. Any UW football fans have anything on him? I found the following:

From NFLDraftScout.com:
Coleman Shelton, C (Washington):
Shelton, who earned first-team All-Pac 12 honors as a senior, isn't the biggest or strongest center, but he is among the quickest. His mobility and technique will be appreciated by zone-blocking schemes. Possesses a short, stubby frame well-suited to playing in the interior. Best attribute may be his light feet and balance. Shuffles easily from left to right in pass protection and shows good quickness for the trap block and to get out and pull. Very competitive. Highly respected by teammates and the coaching staff for his work ethic, including time spent in the film room.

From University of Washington's SB Nation site:
Washington Offensive Lineman Coleman Shelton has signed a free agent agreement with the San Francisco 49ers.

As a four-year starter, Coleman Shelton has been one of the steadiest and most versatile linemen to ever play at Washington. Shelton can boast having started games in every single position along the offensive line. But it was the center position where Shelton found his groove. The Husky star racked up All PAC 12 team honors in both his junior and senior seasons, playing most of the time at center.

Shelton will go into the NFL as one of the most astute and technically sound offensive linemen coming out of this draft class. What he might lack in sheer size or strength, he makes up for in consistency and execution. While athletic enough to play guard, Coleman projects as a center at the next level.

According to his family, twenty teams put in similar bids for Shelton's services. After careful consideration, Coleman selected the 49ers where he will be reunited with fellow All PAC 12 star Dante Pettis.
Quoting myself from another thread on my quick snapshot of Shelton:

One of the better UDFA pickups most people aren't talking about. Played every position along the Washington OL, starting 7 games at right tackle and a full season at left tackle before kicking inside as a junior playing games at both left and right guard. Moved to center his senior year and won his 2nd straight Washington Lineman of the Year award. The only major knock on him is "average" strength, which can be built to NFL standards by our training staff. Also, the strength is not as pivotal for the zone scheme as it is for power. I really, *really* like this kid's chances to make the team.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

One of the better UDFA pickups most people aren't talking about. Played every position along the Washington OL, starting 7 games at right tackle and a full season at left tackle before kicking inside as a junior playing games at both left and right guard. Moved to center his senior year and won his 2nd straight Washington Lineman of the Year award. The only major knock on him is "average" strength, which can be built to NFL standards by our training staff. Also, the strength is not as pivotal for the zone scheme as it is for power. I really, *really* like this kid's chances to make the team.

Sounds good, we need good players - hopefully he makes the team.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 2, 2018 at 10:11 AM ]

Great info! He knows the scheme and has the movement skills required at C and the other OL positions. From what I've read about his work ethic, it seems he'll try to do what it takes to get stronger and improve other areas of his game as needed at the NFL level.

Already have him making the 53 as a true C behind Richburg with Magnuson moving to G/T depth.

Top 10 C and one of the few with zone blocking experience.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 2, 2018 at 10:18 AM ]
We need a good depth in the middle. I've been wondering who will backup Weston. Maybe this kid, but he'll probably need to provide some value at guard too. Doubt we keep 10 offensive linemen.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Already have him making the 53 as a true C behind Richburg with Magnuson moving to G/T depth.

Top 10 C and one of the few with zone blocking experience.

That's the perfect spot for him.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yup yup!
Petersen's offense=college version of Shanahan. For Pettis and Shelton there shouldn't be too big of a transition scheme-wise.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yup yup!

Perfect fit.

I thought hed goin the 5th or 6th, potentially to us, so I would not be surprised to see him make the cut
When I read about Shelton's Washington career I was wondering why he didn't get drafted. Sounds like the perfect b/u for Richburg...and he can play OG, too. Just might be a guy to keep your eye on.
WASHINGTON CENTER COLEMAN SHELTON

A four-year letterman with the Huskies, Shelton has been extremely productive for the past four season at Washington. This year, perhaps his finest of the lot, he's improved his pass-blocking and allowed only eight total pressures this season, including just one sack and just one QB hit. For his career now, he's logged 1,594 snaps in pass protection and allowed just 15 pressures that resulted in a hit on the quarterback (five sacks, 10 hits). – @PFF_Cam

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-watch-fiesta-bowl

The more you read, the more shocking it seems that he didn't get selected at all.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
When I read about Shelton's Washington career I was wondering why he didn't get drafted. Sounds like the perfect b/u for Richburg...and he can play OG, too. Just might be a guy to keep your eye on.

Because teams want 300+ offensive lineman. Stupid pigeon-holing. They would rather develop a huge guy than grab a polished small guy.
*Washington senior C Coleman Shelton paved the way for the Huskies' dynamic duo in Myles Gaskin and Lavon Coleman last season, finishing the season ranked No. 7 in run block success percentage (91.1) among draft-eligible centers.

*Physical at the point of attack, Shelton also thrived in pass protection on short dropbacks. He didn't allow a single pressure on three-step dropbacks last season to finish T-No. 1 among that same group of centers.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-prospect-preview-coleman-shelton-anchors-the-uw-line-from-the-interior

Excuse me while I attempt to continue to get you all extra hyped up over this UDFA.
Share 49ersWebzone