There are 113 users in the forums

UDFA Tarvarus McFadden, CB FSU

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
  • Kolohe
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
I was pretty hyped about this guy. But watching some tape and almost all of his picks are QBs underthrowing their receivers lol. I wonder if that's because he's usually trailing receivers lmao

Gonna be an uphill battle for sure

True some of his INT's were under thrown but it's really McFadden's ball skills that really stand out. Not just on INT's but his pass defenses, McFadden is good at locating the ball, he actually would've had a few picks in 2017 if he didn't drop passes in a few games. People wanna down play his 40 time but if you watch McFadden in games hes there stride for stride with his receiver.

I think McFadden has a pretty good chance at making the roster and if he doesn't he'll be stashed on IR, no way he makes it to the practice squad.
McFadden has good anticipation and good hips and is good at the line ... but his recovery speed is going to be a problem.
Originally posted by Scoots:
McFadden has good anticipation and good hips and is good at the line ... but his recovery speed is going to be a problem.

heard this on locked on 49er podcast too went into some detail
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
heard this on locked on 49er podcast too went into some detail

Glad to have my take corroborated :)

gonna have to win battles by studying film really well and being super technical and refined. His length and ball skills will help also.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

gonna have to win battles by studying film really well and being super technical and refined. His length and ball skills will help also.

Unfortunately for him Saleh's D wants fast safeties. Even with his speed he could be a good safety in some systems. That said, as long as he guesses right nearly all the time he could be good.

I will never forget hearing Ray Rhodes saying that Gary Plummer was not big enough and not fast enough, but that he was so smart he made himself a great linebacker. Rhodes went on to say that one of the calls that Plummer as the captain of that defense made was just before the snap he'd call out TANK or JET if he thought it was going to be a run or a pass play, each defensive player could then use that as a slight tip in their reading of the play as it happened. Rhodes said that Plummer was so accurate in his TANK and JET calls that the defense just started assuming he was right all the time and in fact Plummer got it right on every single play 4 games in a row in 94.

Smart players make everyone better.
Unfortunately for him Saleh's D wants fast safeties. Even with his speed he could be a good safety in some systems. That said, as long as he guesses right nearly all the time he could be good.

I will never forget hearing Ray Rhodes saying that Gary Plummer was not big enough and not fast enough, but that he was so smart he made himself a great linebacker. Rhodes went on to say that one of the calls that Plummer as the captain of that defense made was just before the snap he'd call out TANK or JET if he thought it was going to be a run or a pass play, each defensive player could then use that as a slight tip in their reading of the play as it happened. Rhodes said that Plummer was so accurate in his TANK and JET calls that the defense just started assuming he was right all the time and in fact Plummer got it right on every single play 4 games in a row in 94.

Smart players make everyone better.

GREAT Post. Thank you for sharing. I was always surprised Plummer did not get into coaching.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
GREAT Post. Thank you for sharing. I was always surprised Plummer did not get into coaching.

I think he had a great future in doing color for games but he didn't have a filter on his mouth to keep from offending his bosses. Have no idea what he's been doing since then.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

I think he had a great future in doing color for games but he didn't have a filter on his mouth to keep from offending his bosses. Have no idea what he's been doing since then.

I still remember Plummer and Woodall launching themselves up in the air and colliding with the opposing RB mid air, and jarring the ball loose, and I think, Woodall took it for a TD. Dang he was good.

I'm hoping he has a great training camp seems like we have some good up and coming youngsters at CB ...
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Lester Hayes and Everson Walls never had great speed nor great hips... what T-Mac has is the nose for that football which is similar to the two mentioned.
  • Kolohe
Originally posted by 9moon:
Lester Hayes and Everson Walls never had great speed nor great hips... what T-Mac has is the nose for that football which is similar to the two mentioned.

Not saying you're saying this but McFadden's hips and back peddle isn't that bad. I think his hips and back peddle is better than Shawntae Spencers and he was drafted in the 2nd round.
Fret not, CBs don't backpedal in this scheme.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Don't want him to fail because he's a 49er for now but I don't see him getting any further than Lorenzo Jerome did last year.
Share 49erswebzone