LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Way Too Early Look at the 53-Man Roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
- When it comes to projecting where the new guys will fit, I'm going mostly by what John and Kyle said in their press conferences. For example, Kyle said Richie James would start off mostly at the X behind Goodwin. That said, a lot of these guys will be used in multiple spots (e.g. Pettis outside and in the slot).

- I've got Jimmie Ward listed as the backup at FS, but I think he'll be used at CB mostly.

- Tough to define the DL roles specifically. Solly, for example, will likely play outside on run downs and kick inside on passing downs.

- I kept a 9th OL instead of a 5th safety because of the multi-position versatility of several of our DBs. That could easily go either way, though.

- I know a lot of people were disappointed in the draft because the picks were somewhat unexpected, but I have to say, it's pretty damn impressive how much better this roster is than it was this time last year. We won't have half our draft picks in starting roles again, and that's a good thing.

QB: Garoppolo / Beathard
RB: McKinnon / Breida / Williams / McNichols
FB: Juszczyk
WR: Garcon / Bourne
WR: Goodwin / James
WR: Taylor / Pettis
TE: Kittle / Celek / Hikutini
LT: Staley / D. Williams
LG: Cooper / Tomlinson
C: Richburg
RG: Garnett / Magnuson
RT: McGlinchey / Gilliam

DT: Buckner / Taylor
NT: Mitchell / Jones
DE: Armstead / Blair
LEO: Thomas / Marsh / Attaochu
SAM: Harold / Watson
MIKE: Foster / Coyle
WILL: M. Smith / Warner
CB: Sherman / Moore
CB: Witherspoon / McFadden
NCB: K. Williams / Reed
FS: Colbert / Ward
SS: Tartt / Harris

K: Gould
P: Pinion
LS: Nelson
Pettis may get some looks in slot, that won't be his permanent home. He'll be a Z receiver most likely.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Pettis may get some looks in slot, that won't be his permanent home. He'll be a Z receiver most likely.

Agreed.

"That said, a lot of these guys will be used in multiple spots (e.g. Pettis outside and in the slot)."
Sheldon Day is making the roster.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Sheldon Day is making the roster.

In hindsight, I probably agree. Taylor gets stashed on the PS.

Korey Toomer is another guy I could see making it.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
- When it comes to projecting where the new guys will fit, I'm going mostly by what John and Kyle said in their press conferences. For example, Kyle said Richie James would start off mostly at the X behind Goodwin. That said, a lot of these guys will be used in multiple spots (e.g. Pettis outside and in the slot).

- I've got Jimmie Ward listed as the backup at FS, but I think he'll be used at CB mostly.

- Tough to define the DL roles specifically. Solly, for example, will likely play outside on run downs and kick inside on passing downs.

- I kept a 9th OL instead of a 5th safety because of the multi-position versatility of several of our DBs. That could easily go either way, though.

- I know a lot of people were disappointed in the draft because the picks were somewhat unexpected, but I have to say, it's pretty damn impressive how much better this roster is than it was this time last year. We won't have half our draft picks in starting roles again, and that's a good thing.

WR: Goodwin / James
WR: Taylor / Pettis

Id go with the rookie warner over M smith
Hmmm, I'll play.

Offensive Personnel: --- 24
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; C.J. BeatHard
RB: Jerick McKinnon/Matt Breida; Joe Williams & Raheem Mostert
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE: George Kittle; Ross Dwelley
XWR: Marquise Goodwin; Dante Pettis
YWR: Trent Taylor; Richie James
ZWR: Pierre Garcon; Kendrick Bourne
LOT: Joe Staley; Garry Gilliam
LG: Jonathan Cooper; Laken Tomlinson
C: Weston Richburg; Erik Magnuson
RG: Joshua Garnett
ROT: Mike McGlinchey; Darrell Williams Jr.

Defensive Personnel: --- 26
LDE: Arik Armstead; Jullian Taylor & Ronald Blair (Kentavius Street)
NT: Earl Mitchell; D.J. Jones
RDT: DeForest Buckner; Sheldon Day
LEO: Solomon Thomas; Jeremiah Attaochu & Cassius Marsh
SAM: Pita Taumoepenu; Dekoda Watson
MIKE: Korey Toomer; Fred Warner & Brock Coyle
WILL: Malcolm Smith; (Rueben Foster)
RCB: Ahkello Witherspoon; Jimmie Ward & Tarvarus McFadden
S/CB: K'Waun Williams; D.J. Reed
LCB: Richard Sherman; Tarvarious Moore
FS: Adrian Colbert
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Chancellor James

Special Teams:
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Bradley Pinion

KOR: Dante Pettis& Jerick McKinnon
PR: Dante Pettis; Trent Taylor & D.J. Reed
GR: Raheem Mostert & Tarvarious Moore
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 29, 2018 at 3:38 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:

WR: Goodwin / Pettis
WR: Taylor / James

My thoughts. It think James will be behind Taylor and Pettis is behind Goodwin.

Possibly. I only put James there because Kyle said in the press conference that he'd start out at X behind Goodwin.
Worst roster in the nfl.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Hmmm, I'll play.

Offensive Personnel: --- 24
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; C.J. BeatHard
RB1: Jerick McKinnon; Joe Williams
RB2: Matt Breida; Raheem Mostert
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE: George Kittle; Ross Dwelley
XWR: Marquise Goodwin; Dante Pettis
YWR: Trent Taylor; Richie James
ZWR: Pierre Garcon; Kendrick Bourne
LOT: Joe Staley; Garry Gilliam
LG: Jonathan Cooper; Laken Tomlinson
C: Weston Richburg; Erik Magnuson
RG: Joshua Garnett
ROT: Mike McGlinchey; Darrell Williams Jr.

Defensive Personnel: --- 26
LDE: Arik Armstead; Jullian Taylor & Ronald Blair (Kentavius Street)
NT: Earl Mitchell; D.J. Jones
RDT: DeForest Buckner; Sheldon Day
LEO: Solomon Thomas; Jeremiah Attaochu & Cassius Marsh
SAM: Pita Taumoepenu; Dekoda Watson
MIKE: Korey Toomer; Fred Warner & Brock Coyle
WILL: Malcolm Smith; (Rueben Foster)
RCB: Ahkello Witherspoon; Jimmie Ward & Tarvarus McFadden
S/CB: K'Waun Williams; D.J. Reed
LCB: Richard Sherman; Tarvarious Moore
FS: Adrian Colbert
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Chancellor James

Special Teams:
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Bradley Pinion

KOR: Dante Pettis& Jerick McKinnon
PR: Dante Pettis; Trent Taylor & D.J. Reed
GR: Raheem Mostert & Tarvarious Moore

Can't take issue with much of anything in there, NC. Like I mentioned, the only reason I had James where I did was because Kyle said that's where he'd start out in the press conference. I'm sure he'll work both out of the slot and outside. Same goes for Pettis.

The only major point of disagreement is Taumoepenu vs. Harold.

Beyond that, my only objection is that you always separate them into RB1 and RB2 instead of just making one line. Eats at me for some reason.

Can't take issue with much of anything in there, NC. Like I mentioned, the only reason I had James where I did was because Kyle said that's where he'd start out in the press conference. I'm sure he'll work both out of the slot and outside. Same goes for Pettis.

The only major point of disagreement is Taumoepenu vs. Harold.

Beyond that, my only objection is that you always separate them into RB1 and RB2 instead of just making one line. Eats at me for some reason.

Bwahaha, that's awesome, funny and good to know! Yeah, do that to indicate more of a primary back vs. 3rd down back (Hyde + Breida) but with Kyle, it really is one line...you will do it all and rotate. Good call.

It's kind of depressing for the UDFA's this year...will be lucky if just 1 or 2 make it.

For sure...Pettis and James will be all over so it's not a big deal where you slot them.

I hear you about Pita vs. Harold. I go back and forth on that one; the "idea" is that he'll compete more at LEO. Given he has zero pass rush skills, I took that as one foot out the door. Pita has certainly gotten bigger and stronger and trained for the SAM last year. I'm going out on a limb and guessing he adds a bit more ER too. Haha.

Thanks for doing this. We'll have to revisit later to see how close we guestimated!
Our front 7 is kinda depressing on paper. We really need ST to make a major jump. Somebody has to show up and help Buckner.
The 9ers didn't draft and sign all these dbs if they felt confident in Chanceller James.
I find it funny that NO ONE seems to think Beadles will make the squad next year (I am one that agrees he's on the way out). Personally I hope that we can some how off load some of our dead weight from the previous regime to other teams for anything. Even if it's a late round pick in the 2020 draft, I don't care, because something is always better than nothing. Guys like Harold+Blair I would move without blinking an eye, and Armstead would be on there as well, if a decent deal arose (doubtful). I think there is gonna be another slight purge of players from the previous regime. Brown is already traded, and some of those IR guys from last year will be gone. Looking forward to this new unit, and seeing how many guys we start out this year with on the IR to stash for a year.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Our front 7 is kinda depressing on paper. We really need ST to make a major jump. Somebody has to show up and help Buckner.

What is wrong with the front 7? The only position that looks iffy is SAM.
Share 49ersWebzone