LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

DJ Reed CB, Kansas St, 4th Round 2018 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
He is going to make it very hard for the coaches to keep him off the football field. Good football player.

Yup love the attitude...he's a "Monday guy" I'm looking at his mockdraftable numbers and his measurables and combine numbers throw him in line with Kendall Fuller (fuller has about an inch and 1/2 on him). I can honestly see him taking over Williams spot come end of the yr.

Agreed...at worst, push Williams even harder. Nice to finally have some real depth.
Originally posted by NCommand:
He is going to make it very hard for the coaches to keep him off the football field. Good football player.

Yup love the attitude...he's a "Monday guy" I'm looking at his mockdraftable numbers and his measurables and combine numbers throw him in line with Kendall Fuller (fuller has about an inch and 1/2 on him). I can honestly see him taking over Williams spot come end of the yr.

Agreed...at worst, push Williams even harder. Nice to finally have some real depth.

Starting week 1 cause I don't think Sherman's gonna be good to go. I'm guessing Reed gets out at outside corner during preseason a lot.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Starting week 1 cause I don't think Sherman's gonna be good to go. I'm guessing Reed gets out at outside corner during preseason a lot.

Yeah, there won't be much emphasis on outside and inside yet anyhow.
He's right about himself in that vid. He may be 5'9 but he plays like he's 6'2. It's the first thing you see when you look at his highlights.
Interesting notes from Jeff Hafley our DB;s coach

D.J. Reed, DB, Kansas State (Round 5, 142nd overall)
Reed will have to be moved around more than Moore. His skill set projects him to be a nickel corner, but he will also spend time at free safety.
"He's tough," Hafley said. "He's got speed. He's got ball skills. He can accelerate. He's a fun player to watch. You've got to be careful calling him small because he's got long arms and he's got huge hands. The guy can return punts, too. He's a really good football player. We're trying to bring that speed, toughness and confidence to our DB room. He's got the makeup that we want."
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

i think he would be pretty darn good as a FS. Alot of his picks were him reading the ball in the air, making those safety type of interceptions...knowing where the ball is going to come down. That will also help him play the slot too

i love the versatility of our secondary. other than Spoon and Sherman, most of them can play multiple positions
[ Edited by JustinNiner on May 4, 2018 at 12:50 PM ]
Digging this kid...I see him more as a slot DB than FS though

Here's to hoping we can move Ward during the pre season to a team in need, or if someone would take him right now, I would move him. Sure we don't need the 8.5 million from Wards salary, but being able to possibly save it (by trading him, regardless of the return) and rolling it over to next year so we have 8.5 million more to spend in FA. Also by moving Ward in a salary dump, would open a spot for one more of these young kids to make the squad. Ward does have some value to opposing teams, so we just need to find a team capable of eating his salary. The Browns make sense to me, because they have TONS of cap space, and a weak secondary. Perhaps trade Ward for a 2019 7th round pick?
I would do it for the reasons I mentioned above, and the Browns might do it to take a flier on Ward, and see if he could become a long term piece there if he plays well for them this season.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Here's to hoping we can move Ward during the pre season to a team in need, or if someone would take him right now, I would move him. Sure we don't need the 8.5 million from Wards salary, but being able to possibly save it (by trading him, regardless of the return) and rolling it over to next year so we have 8.5 million more to spend in FA. Also by moving Ward in a salary dump, would open a spot for one more of these young kids to make the squad. Ward does have some value to opposing teams, so we just need to find a team capable of eating his salary. The Browns make sense to me, because they have TONS of cap space, and a weak secondary. Perhaps trade Ward for a 2019 7th round pick?
I would do it for the reasons I mentioned above, and the Browns might do it to take a flier on Ward, and see if he could become a long term piece there if he plays well for them this season.

We're not hurting for money.. What's really thw point unless it's for a pass rusher? Also if we trade him we better do it soon and sign Reid cause if Colbert goes down we can move Tartt to FS and put Reid at SS.

Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Welcome.

"I'm round"

Thanks for sharing!
If Ward gets traded, this guy could fill the role they are envisioning for Ward
DJ is a big bundle of swag. Going to be fun watching him making plays.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 5, 2018 at 9:00 AM ]
Love love love the versatility Reed brings to the team. He'll give us depth at CB, FS and punt return.
BIG HANDS: D.J. Reed's 5-foot-9 frame may be small by NFL standards but he compensates with 10-inch hands and a 31 5/8-inch wingspan that. "I always told myself I've got to work harder than everybody because you don't pass the look test," Reed said. "One of the coaches came up (at his pro day) and said, 'Wow you have really good hands.'

Reed saw time at free safety and punt returner on Friday. His multi-sport background: wrestling, soccer, tennis, basketball. "I'm very confident, and my confidence comes from my work ethic," Reed said

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/04/49ers-rookie-camp-top-picks-mcglinchey-pettis-warner-look-solid/
Share 49ersWebzone