LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

Kentavius Street-DE-NC State

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Surprised this didn't get bumped. There's very little pro film to go off of, but if AA plays 3T full time, anyone think Street can step up and play DE on base downs opposite of Bosa?

If anything, AA will remain at DE on base downs and Street with rotate with Jones and Thomas at DT. You don't sign AA to that contract and pay him to play a different position.

I get that, the issue is on 1st and 2nd down. Can either of those guys hold up? Street is a former end that they moved inside.

From what I gather,Street is up to about 295 lbs. now, which is certainly big enough to play inside. The team has always said they like his skill set so we will certainly see. Let's also keep in mind the great job the DL coaches have done with AA over the past year so it appears the Niners feel they can develop the guys they already have on the roster to help mitigate the loss of Buck.
I'm really depending on him more than Thomas to replace Buckner. I didn't know he was up to 295, but it's not surprising. I think he was already 280 coming out of college. Extremely strong and is a natural pass rusher. If Street shows up this year, look out.
If he's over rehabbing I think he's going to be a major surprise player for us.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Well OK.....I have a difference of opinion with many of you...

For those of you old enough to recall, the Niners drafted an OG in the 11th round in 1983 named Jesse Sapolu. He missed almost 3 full seasons in his first 4 years in the NFL with a foot injury, and in fact, didn't even start a game until 1991, when he was almost 30 years old. Well, he won 4 Super Bowl rings and went to the Pro Bowl twice. He also switched positions midway through his career (to center from OG).
Now...I'm not saying Street will have a career like that but...I will say that it sometimes pays off to be patient with a talented player (Jimmie Ward comes to mind as well). Let's just give Street a full year of health before we put him on the scrap heap, shall we?
He probably would have been a low first round pick (or high second) if he hadn't torn his ACL on his Pro Day, right before the draft 2 years ago. The man has talent. The team obviously likes him or they would have cut him already. Now that Buck is gone (sadly), Street might be a guy that could really help the team.

Cheers!

Really good post man!

Thanks man...

For those of you old enough to recall, the Niners drafted an OG in the 11th round in 1983 named Jesse Sapolu. He missed almost 3 full seasons in his first 4 years in the NFL with a foot injury, and in fact, didn't even start a game until 1991, when he was almost 30 years old. Well, he won 4 Super Bowl rings and went to the Pro Bowl twice. He also switched positions midway through his career (to center from OG).
Now...I'm not saying Street will have a career like that but...I will say that it sometimes pays off to be patient with a talented player (Jimmie Ward comes to mind as well). Let's just give Street a full year of health before we put him on the scrap heap, shall we?
He probably would have been a low first round pick (or high second) if he hadn't torn his ACL on his Pro Day, right before the draft 2 years ago. The man has talent. The team obviously likes him or they would have cut him already. Now that Buck is gone (sadly), Street might be a guy that could really help the team.

Cheers!

Really good post man!

Hear hear

Great post longterm. Thanks for spreading some wisdom
[ Edited by elguapo on Mar 28, 2020 at 8:02 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:

Cheers!

Really good post man!

Hear hear

Great post longterm. Thanks for spreading some wisdom
I agree and this front office/coaching staff looks to me they are willing to be patient. Case and point with often injured Ward and raw/somewhat underachieving Armstead. It also helps that the ShanaLynch got long term contracts and was able to build from scratch which in a way allow them to be patient and construct it the way they envision it.. Not the win now mentality. Even their questionable high picks like Solly and Pettis, will get every opportunity to develop even though are Championship window Has finally opened. As for Street, he will get every opportunity once he gets healthy as they want to see if he can PLAY. If not, upgrade thru FA or the draft.
Just watched his press conference on the team website. He seems like such a likable guy. I really hope he can stay healthy and put it all together this season
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
4th rd, 128th overall.

Definitely not going to be Charles Haley 2.0

Just as well! Haley wouldn't last ten minutes with this team. In the other team apparently only Ronnie Lott could control Haley. I think in this team his actions would not be accepted by a number of players
Agree to a certain extent. Nowadays coaches know a bit more about bipolar disorders. Having said that, we still have assorted players like Earl Thomas making nfl teams with borderline bipolar dosorders.
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Just watched his press conference on the team website. He seems like such a likable guy. I really hope he can stay healthy and put it all together this season

Ditto
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Cheers!
Two other players with similar stories, Kevin F*agan and Michael Carter. I hope Street's story is along the same trajectory! 👍👌😁
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
If he's over rehabbing I think he's going to be a major surprise player for us.

he's supposedly a workout warrior, hope he develops to be another monster in the middle next to Kinlaw.

3rd rounder with 2nd round talent coming into his own. I'd love Hero's thoughts on how he might fit or not fit in this W9 given he was a pretty good edge rusher but IIRC, he was asked to pack on weight and play more inside?
Originally posted by NCommand:
3rd rounder with 2nd round talent coming into his own. I'd love Hero's thoughts on how he might fit or not fit in this W9 given he was a pretty good edge rusher but IIRC, he was asked to pack on weight and play more inside?

I think he'd fit in perfectly fine as an edge rusher in the w9. That's all he did in college. But he also has the build to be a terror inside, so I guess we just have to wait and see. He looked like s**t last year--stiff, HEAVY and out of place along the interior. But it sounds like he's trimmed down and acclimated to playing inside.

On paper, Street is what you want your interior DL to look like: short, powerful, and explosive. If you ask OL who they hate blocking, it's always these guys.

I believe in the interview he said he is primarily playing inside and that he's right around 285/290 lbs.
Originally posted by Heroism:

I think he'd fit in perfectly fine as an edge rusher in the w9. That's all he did in college. But he also has the build to be a terror inside, so I guess we just have to wait and see. He looked like s**t last year--stiff, HEAVY and out of place along the interior. But it sounds like he's trimmed down and acclimated to playing inside.

On paper, Street is what you want your interior DL to look like: short, powerful, and explosive. If you ask OL who they hate blocking, it's always these guys.

TY. I felt the same after he moved inside. I kind of liked him originally in the AA role myself because he actually has some quality ER skills. But it's still one gap so if he's getting acclimated, he could find success inside too.

Thanks for the thoughts.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:

TY. I felt the same after he moved inside. I kind of liked him originally in the AA role myself because he actually has some quality ER skills. But it's still one gap so if he's getting acclimated, he could find success inside too.

Thanks for the thoughts.
I forgot he was a DE in college, I had to go back and rewatch his highlights to remember again. He definitely fits the Big End role in the Wide 9, and he's versatile. Agree with both of you that he can go DT and DE and fit in both positions. Really excited to see him play and blow up some of our western division midget QB's this year.
Share 49ersWebzone