LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 331 users in the forums

Kentavius Street-DE-NC State

Shop 49ers game tickets
Well OK.....I have a difference of opinion with many of you...

For those of you old enough to recall, the Niners drafted an OG in the 11th round in 1983 named Jesse Sapolu. He missed almost 3 full seasons in his first 4 years in the NFL with a foot injury, and in fact, didn't even start a game until 1991, when he was almost 30 years old. Well, he won 4 Super Bowl rings and went to the Pro Bowl twice. He also switched positions midway through his career (to center from OG).
Now...I'm not saying Street will have a career like that but...I will say that it sometimes pays off to be patient with a talented player (Jimmie Ward comes to mind as well). Let's just give Street a full year of health before we put him on the scrap heap, shall we?
He probably would have been a low first round pick (or high second) if he hadn't torn his ACL on his Pro Day, right before the draft 2 years ago. The man has talent. The team obviously likes him or they would have cut him already. Now that Buck is gone (sadly), Street might be a guy that could really help the team.

Cheers!
^^^^Great post.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Surprised this didn't get bumped. There's very little pro film to go off of, but if AA plays 3T full time, anyone think Street can step up and play DE on base downs opposite of Bosa?

If anything, AA will remain at DE on base downs and Street with rotate with Jones and Thomas at DT. You don't sign AA to that contract and pay him to play a different position.

I get that, the issue is on 1st and 2nd down. Can either of those guys hold up? Street is a former end that they moved inside.
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:

For those of you old enough to recall, the Niners drafted an OG in the 11th round in 1983 named Jesse Sapolu. He missed almost 3 full seasons in his first 4 years in the NFL with a foot injury, and in fact, didn't even start a game until 1991, when he was almost 30 years old. Well, he won 4 Super Bowl rings and went to the Pro Bowl twice. He also switched positions midway through his career (to center from OG).
Now...I'm not saying Street will have a career like that but...I will say that it sometimes pays off to be patient with a talented player (Jimmie Ward comes to mind as well). Let's just give Street a full year of health before we put him on the scrap heap, shall we?
He probably would have been a low first round pick (or high second) if he hadn't torn his ACL on his Pro Day, right before the draft 2 years ago. The man has talent. The team obviously likes him or they would have cut him already. Now that Buck is gone (sadly), Street might be a guy that could really help the team.

Cheers!

Not that I'm unbothered when guys aren't available, but I do think a talented guy can ultimately come around. The problem is we've been burned TOO much from the Baalke era and now seemingly this current regime.
Not that I'm unbothered when guys aren't available, but I do think a talented guy can ultimately come around. The problem is we've been burned TOO much from the Baalke era and now seemingly this current regime.

Cheers!

Well said. I always side with the coach/GM when it comes to hanging on to players that are injured. They know these guys better than any of us and if they're willing to give them another shot then who am I to question it. That doesn't mean they are always right but they have the opportunity to see talent on the practice field that we never see. It's strange how fans are willing to give some players another year to develop and other guys they just want to dump. As long as the coaches see something worth keeping then so be it.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Surprised this didn't get bumped. There's very little pro film to go off of, but if AA plays 3T full time, anyone think Street can step up and play DE on base downs opposite of Bosa?

If anything, AA will remain at DE on base downs and Street with rotate with Jones and Thomas at DT. You don't sign AA to that contract and pay him to play a different position.

I get that, the issue is on 1st and 2nd down. Can either of those guys hold up? Street is a former end that they moved inside.

From what I gather,Street is up to about 295 lbs. now, which is certainly big enough to play inside. The team has always said they like his skill set so we will certainly see. Let's also keep in mind the great job the DL coaches have done with AA over the past year so it appears the Niners feel they can develop the guys they already have on the roster to help mitigate the loss of Buck.

Cheers!

Really good post man!

Cheers!

Nice post about patience in general, I however (and I'm no guru) had Street as a late 3rd rounder at best, so wasn't thrilled with getting him at the price considering his injury.

He's a bit too much of a tweener for me and I think I'd rather him in a Blair type role over a straight up 3tech. Hope I'm wrong.
Teams are so focused on winning now patience is abandoned. With the Big Dog gone, if he's healthy, he'll get his opportunity.

Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Jalen Hurd, Joe WIlliams, Reuben Foster, Solomon Thomas, and Kentavius Street. Every single one of those guys have talent. But because of injury, not having the heart, being crazy, or reasons unknown, they haven't put it together. Not exactly the injury picks under Baalke, but we have been burned. Especially consider that while acknowledging the talent, there were questions about every single one of those during the draft process and after they were drafted. We just can't afford to burn picks on guys that are hurt coming out or with major questions about their game at the next level. Jalen Hurd isn't in the same category as those other guys, other than possibly being picked too early. Sad reality is, the fan base is a little shell shocked, whether warranted or not.
Street having a full offseason to actually work on football and not rehab and he can really show something this coming season

Jalen Hurd, Joe WIlliams, Reuben Foster, Solomon Thomas, and Kentavius Street. Every single one of those guys have talent. But because of injury, not having the heart, being crazy, or reasons unknown, they haven't put it together. Not exactly the injury picks under Baalke, but we have been burned. Especially consider that while acknowledging the talent, there were questions about every single one of those during the draft process and after they were drafted. We just can't afford to burn picks on guys that are hurt coming out or with major questions about their game at the next level. Jalen Hurd isn't in the same category as those other guys, other than possibly being picked too early. Sad reality is, the fan base is a little shell shocked, whether warranted or not.

We went to the Super Bowl and almost won.

You think we're the only team that misses? Convenient youve left out the hits.

You need to go to football therapy or something to set your mind right
[ Edited by Stanley on Mar 22, 2020 at 8:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Stanley:

Say what dude?
His post was about his concerns which was warranted.

What year was Street picked, because I'm thinking we sucked the year before he got drafted and the year before that, yet they take an injury pick early. I don't think that was smart but you do.
Williams was taken off the board due to questions, but Kyle jumped on a table to get him drafted by us, early...
I can go on.
yes they've done good drafting many guys but when there are risky injury picks, and picks taken off the board, don't make the mistake or risk to take them, avoid them..
Originally posted by Stanley:

What do you you think "sad reality, the fan base is a little shell shocked, whether warranted or not" means? Conveniently, you missed the point of the post. And probably have missed the bulk of what I post on here which is pretty optimistic. The post was about the type of risks they take. We should draft players that aren't available to play at the start of the year. Or plays that go bonkers during the Combine. Or players that don't love football. Can't make it any more plain.
Share 49ersWebzone