LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

49ers take Tarvarius Moore-DB-Southern Mississippi

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Told you guys. Tall and probably theee fastest on the team:

ide receiver Marquise Goodwin is often touted as the fastest player on the San Francisco 49ers roster, maybe in the NFL. He is, after all, a former Olympian (maybe soon to be again) and recently won the "40 Yards of Gold" competition against other speedy NFL receivers.

One teammate believes he could beat Goodwin in a race. 49ers play-by-play announcer, Greg Papa, on Sunday asked safety Tarvarius Moore who would win in a race between Goodwin and himself.

"Me, definitely," Moore said without hesitation. "I'm calling it me."

Papa asked the second-year player if that could be set up with defensive coordinator Robert Saleh.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Told you guys. Tall and probably theee fastest on the team:

Moore ran a hand-timed 4.32; Marquise ran a laser-timed 4.27

It wouldn't be close. Marquise smokes him.
Goodwin would smoke probably every player in the NFL except Hill.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
whatabout that kid from Cincy .. Ross?? something like that??

ain't he the fastest player in the NFL now?
So......for those who watched the tapes, how was his preseason?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
So......for those who watched the tapes, how was his preseason?

ATM more of a practice player than gamer but you could still see flashes and range. He needs to learn to be disciplined with his speed to be able to tackle soundly instead of just throwing his body in there 100mph or he'll end up like Ward. Good upside. Very comfortable at FS. Still a lot to learn but you have to be excited for him. Could be legit!
Originally posted by Heroism:
Moore ran a hand-timed 4.32; Marquise ran a laser-timed 4.27

It wouldn't be close. Marquise smokes him.

I went to highschool with the Dolphin's Running back Irving Spikes, there was a couple of local prospect that went on to fame and fortune in the NFL (namely Brett Farve).

Our coach brought in to our summer practice a coach that prep'ed college athletes for the 40 yard dash. As i recall everyone was able to improve their 40 times, and almost nothing we learned had anything to do with football.

The funny thing was I ran a faster 40 time then Irving Spikes (i ran a 4.47 he was at a 4.6 something), but ..... I also never caught him from behind at any point in our lives. That has always caused me to put an asterisk next to 40 times. Acceleration to often gets conflated with speed.

When you practices against a guy week in and week out you know how fast you are in relation. I originally played CB and moved to LB. I knew there was guys that could not get away from me, just as i knew there was players like Spikes that i could not let turn the corner on me. When some players hit stride, your 40 time no longer matters, you cant turn and chase them down.

I say all this, because I really don't think a .05 difference in timed acceleration at two different points in two different peoples lives has a correlation to what would happen today. Each player has aged and probably gotten more body mass, in the case of Marquise has been injured and healed, and injured and healed again. None of that happens in a vacuum.
[ Edited by Dshearn on Sep 6, 2019 at 8:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Dshearn:
I went to highschool with the Dolphin's Running back Irving Spikes, there was a couple of local prospect that went on to fame and fortune in the NFL (namely Brett Farve).

Our coach brought in to our summer practice a coach that prep'ed college athletes for the 40 yard dash. As i recall everyone was able to improve their 40 times, and almost nothing we learned had anything to do with football.

The funny thing was I ran a faster 40 time then Irving Spikes (i ran a 4.47 he was at a 4.6 something), but ..... I also never caught him from behind at any point in our lives. That has always caused me to put an asterisk next to 40 times. Acceleration to often gets conflated with speed.

When you practices against a guy week in and week out you know how fast you are in relation. I originally played CB and moved to LB. I knew there was guys that could not get away from me, just as i knew there was players like Spikes that i could not let turn the corner on me. When some players hit stride, your 40 time no longer matters, you cant turn and chase them down.

I saw all this, because I really don't think a .05 difference in timed acceleration at two different points in two different peoples lives has a correlation to what would happen today. Each player has aged and probably gotten more body mass, in the case of Marquise has been injured and healed, and injured and healed again. None of that happens in a vacuum.

totally agree with everything you're saying...there's a difference between 40 times and game speed as well.

I will say Goodwin has real game speed, similar to Djax who's got a very good 40 time (4.35) but that also shows up on field.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I saw all this, because I really don't think a .05 difference in timed acceleration at two different points in two different peoples lives has a correlation to what would happen today. Each player has aged and probably gotten more body mass, in the case of Marquise has been injured and healed, and injured and healed again. None of that happens in a vacuum.

totally agree with everything you're saying...there's a difference between 40 times and game speed as well.

I will say Goodwin has real game speed, similar to Djax who's got a very good 40 time (4.35) but that also shows up on field.

Great stuff.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Great stuff.

Agreed. The stride makes a huge difference. I never had great timed speed in football. I only ran around a 4.7, but in full sprint could run stride for stride with a 4.3 guy because of how much ground I could cover with that stride.

I say all this, because I really don't think a .05 difference in timed acceleration at two different points in two different peoples lives has a correlation to what would happen today. Each player has aged and probably gotten more body mass, in the case of Marquise has been injured and healed, and injured and healed again. None of that happens in a vacuum.

For clarity, this is only a discussion about a hypothetical race between Marquise and Tarvarius.

Marquise just smoked everyone at the 40-yards of gold race, which included many of the fastest guys in the league. It's safe to say he's still got elite speed.

And it's not a .05 difference. The general rule of thumb is that there's around tenth of a second discrepancy between hand-timed 40s and combine laser-timed 40s. The reason being human error and reaction time for the former. Tarvarius Moore is likely a ~4.4 guy at the combine.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 6, 2019 at 11:07 AM ]
Our own GOAT , #80 was like that. He wasn't world class speed, but once the catch was made, the DBs were lucky if they got to see anything other than the #80 on the back of his uniform. With a ball in his hand and in full stride, nobody could catch him.
next man up
Colbert was pretty much handed the starting FS spot on the silver platter last year and was a huge disappointment. Moore had to fight tooth and claw for his chance at FS this year and probably only got it after everything due to Ward getting hurt(shocking development)

Hopefully in this case Moore steps up and doesn't let the starting spot go for many years.
Originally posted by genus49:
Colbert was pretty much handed the starting FS spot on the silver platter last year and was a huge disappointment. Moore had to fight tooth and claw for his chance at FS this year and probably only got it after everything due to Ward getting hurt(shocking development)

Hopefully in this case Moore steps up and doesn't let the starting spot go for many years.

Let's not change history... Colbert played well enough the year before to be handed the starting job. He looked like Goldson (at his best) but with better speed.
Share 49ersWebzone