LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

49ers take Tarvarius Moore-DB-Southern Mississippi

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Please keep him at FS. He will be a player. I really think the safety tandem of Moore & Marcell Harris could be very good...

I'd like to see Tartt get one last crack at being the starter at SS.

I'm pretty sure Tartt is already penciled in at that spot.

Yeah Tartt will start at SS, his base salary became fully GTD on April 1, doubt they put him on the bench to begin the year.
It seems this is the year defenders are playing their natural position. If Moore becomes a starting caliber safety, FINALLY Jimmie Ward's injury will amount to something good.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
we move all these people around and then roll out the shock and awe when they do not play well.

I wouldn't doubt that Saleh is contemplating on converting Moore into a hybrid safety-linebacker
Was hoping this guy could convert to CB but becoming a starting safety would be just as tasty. We will need to invest in the secondary next season. Uncle Sherm is on the verge of becoming Grandpa Sherm
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It seems this is the year defenders are playing their natural position. If Moore becomes a starting caliber safety, FINALLY Jimmie Ward's injury will amount to something good.

I was saying the same thing its a blessing in disguise. Ward's better off as an all purpose backup whichever position in the secondary gets banged up Ward can fill in for them when he comes back that will help preserve him too.
Originally posted by 24karat49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I was saying the same thing its a blessing in disguise. Ward's better off as an all purpose backup whichever position in the secondary gets banged up Ward can fill in for them when he comes back that will help preserve him too.

Agreed. Ward is like Magnuson of the O-line. Versatile but shouldn't be starting.
I thought this dude was off the charts athletic.
What are we waiting for?

Overview
Possesses rare speed, length and explosiveness at the safety position, but his tape says he's not just a workout wonder. Moore is a premium athlete with smooth hips and fluid feet with the ability to handle man cover matchups that others could struggle with. While there is still work to do, he's not a raw prospect and should be game-ready fairly quickly. Moore's tape shows his ability to handle coverage and run support duties and his elite athletic traits will likely push him way up the draft board into Day 2.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by cciowa:
we move all these people around and then roll out the shock and awe when they do not play well.

I wouldn't doubt that Saleh is contemplating on converting Moore into a hybrid safety-linebacker

You have me thinking of what they did with Eric Reid . Sad thing is Reid handled it very professionally and tried to understand the rationale as well as if he made the move, what his longterm future with the team would be. I have no idea what the see in Tartt. I take that back. I do a little. The speed. But it never has translated into "starter." Not to the degree that we should be okay dropping Reid. And then I'm not buying the his price was too high. One year at 5 million doesn't seem like much considering what they will be giving (and I do mean giving) Jimmie Ward over the the 2018 and 2019 seasons. I hope Moore not only sticks at safety, but that we also have two starting caliber guys (Moore and Colbert) so we could FINALLY give Ward the boot and draft another young safety to begin developing in 2020.

Originally posted by Youngone:
Was hoping this guy could convert to CB but becoming a starting safety would be just as tasty. We will need to invest in the secondary next season. Uncle Sherm is on the verge of becoming Grandpa Sherm

With his improved health and improved pass rush, Sherman should look top notch for the rest of his contract. What will be interesting is what to do beyond 2020. I still say keep him, even if the skills have declined some. You can't just go out and draft or even buy that kind of football intelligence.
Has Moore made any plays in OTA's?

Be interested to see if he's still rocking at FS tomorrow
I really hope they leave him at FS for TC and beyond .......
Originally posted by 24karat49er:
Has Moore made any plays in OTA's?

Yeah, heard he's had an INT and some PD's as well. Most are saying he looks far better at S and more comfortable. He wa never noticeable at CB.
It's almost as if... Players play better when they play the position they are used to playing....
Originally posted by Waterbear:
It's almost as if... Players play better when they play the position they are used to playing....

Still remember Nolan trying Justin Smith out at OLB for awhile
Share 49ersWebzone