There are 106 users in the forums

49ers take Tarvarius Moore-DB-Southern Mississippi

  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 17,143
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
2 high pre-snap doesn't mean 2 high coverage. Fangio always showed a 2 high but nearly always brought a safety down and played either cover 6 or 3. I see us doing similar things to that because of our wide 9. That wide 9 usually requires a safety to fill in either in a fill and scrape role or straight fill role in the C Gap - especially if the offense flexes out a TE. What Fangio would do, if the offense ran a PA and we were in cover 6 or 3, the playside safety would attack downhill in a filling capacity and the backside safety would drop into a deep coverage. That way, if it's a run to that side you have a safety flying down like a missile in run support and yet still have deep coverage over the middle. I see us doing that kind of stuff.

If I remember correctly, Fangio ran a system based out of Quarters (lots of Cover6). Quarters safeties have a run fit so if the run play goes to the Quarters side, like you said, they come flying in for run support.
Yeah.....isn't that what I said? I just meant 2 high in that you had 2 safeties back. Because of the way this defense plays their outside guys I see us having a lot more pressed look, but, like we've seen the past 2 years, those outside guys will bail out often right before the snap in their deep 1/3 coverage. The hard part will be on the WILL backer as he'll have more post-snap reading to do. He's go to remember, if it's a run action away from him but a pass, he's got the weakside flat coverage. That can be tough duty.
I was agreeing with you.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
2 high pre-snap doesn't mean 2 high coverage. Fangio always showed a 2 high but nearly always brought a safety down and played either cover 6 or 3. I see us doing similar things to that because of our wide 9. That wide 9 usually requires a safety to fill in either in a fill and scrape role or straight fill role in the C Gap - especially if the offense flexes out a TE. What Fangio would do, if the offense ran a PA and we were in cover 6 or 3, the playside safety would attack downhill in a filling capacity and the backside safety would drop into a deep coverage. That way, if it's a run to that side you have a safety flying down like a missile in run support and yet still have deep coverage over the middle. I see us doing that kind of stuff.

If I remember correctly, Fangio ran a system based out of Quarters (lots of Cover6). Quarters safeties have a run fit so if the run play goes to the Quarters side, like you said, they come flying in for run support.
Yeah.....isn't that what I said? I just meant 2 high in that you had 2 safeties back. Because of the way this defense plays their outside guys I see us having a lot more pressed look, but, like we've seen the past 2 years, those outside guys will bail out often right before the snap in their deep 1/3 coverage. The hard part will be on the WILL backer as he'll have more post-snap reading to do. He's go to remember, if it's a run action away from him but a pass, he's got the weakside flat coverage. That can be tough duty.
I was agreeing with you.

Ok, I guess I got confused for a sec, lol.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Right I understand what interchangeable means in regards to safety play

There's been talks about them using more 2-high from the current DB coach...(I can't remember which podcast it was from talking about using it more towards the end of last season) I want to say Maiocco or Better rivals spoke about it

Oh ok. It felt like you were correcting Furlow because you thought he was wrong.

nope I wasn't trying to do that
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,731
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Lets Hope Sherman's ACL holds up.

ACL?

oops, I mean Achillies.

Man we have so many injured ACL's on the team I got confused.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,731
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
2 high pre-snap doesn't mean 2 high coverage. Fangio always showed a 2 high but nearly always brought a safety down and played either cover 6 or 3. I see us doing similar things to that because of our wide 9. That wide 9 usually requires a safety to fill in either in a fill and scrape role or straight fill role in the C Gap - especially if the offense flexes out a TE. What Fangio would do, if the offense ran a PA and we were in cover 6 or 3, the playside safety would attack downhill in a filling capacity and the backside safety would drop into a deep coverage. That way, if it's a run to that side you have a safety flying down like a missile in run support and yet still have deep coverage over the middle. I see us doing that kind of stuff.

If I remember correctly, Fangio ran a system based out of Quarters (lots of Cover6). Quarters safeties have a run fit so if the run play goes to the Quarters side, like you said, they come flying in for run support.
Yeah.....isn't that what I said? I just meant 2 high in that you had 2 safeties back. Because of the way this defense plays their outside guys I see us having a lot more pressed look, but, like we've seen the past 2 years, those outside guys will bail out often right before the snap in their deep 1/3 coverage. The hard part will be on the WILL backer as he'll have more post-snap reading to do. He's go to remember, if it's a run action away from him but a pass, he's got the weakside flat coverage. That can be tough duty.

I'd definitely play more press man if our pass rush is as potent as I think it is on paper. It disrupts the timing of a precision passing attack and at the same time - if successful, the DB is right there for an interception of the QB throws it to the WR. That is, of course, if you have a legitimate and credible pass rush. We shall see.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by OsBoogie:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I think/hope that even Harris will be there before DJ

he very well may be camp fodder

DJ is a slot corner.

Not DJ Reed, Dontae Johnson is who these were about
  • 91til
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 307
So excited for Moore and his 4.3 speed in the deep middle but I wouldn't just count out Colbert either. It's not like we got no talent back there. Both those guys are great athletes

...And hey look guys, we did add a 4.3 freak athlete at Free Safety this offseason.... he was just already on the team as a CB 😂
[ Edited by 91til on May 30, 2019 at 12:32 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Right I understand what interchangeable means in regards to safety play

There's been talks about them using more 2-high from the current DB coach...(I can't remember which podcast it was from talking about using it more towards the end of last season) I want to say Maiocco or Better rivals spoke about it

Oh ok. It felt like you were correcting Furlow because you thought he was wrong.

nope I wasn't trying to do that

I didn't take it that way.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
So basically what every scouting report said about him then.

If the scouting report said "not ready to contribute ", then I guess.

https://syndication-bleacherreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2772033-tarvarius-moore-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-san-francisco-49ers-pick.amp.html?usqp=mq331AQDoAEA&amp_js_v=0.1#aoh=15592558872840&amp_ct=1559255889291&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

This scouting report, and others, say he should be an early contributor, so he's not raw.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
So basically what every scouting report said about him then.

If the scouting report said "not ready to contribute ", then I guess.

https://syndication-bleacherreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2772033-tarvarius-moore-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-san-francisco-49ers-pick.amp.html?usqp=mq331AQDoAEA&amp_js_v=0.1#aoh=15592558872840&amp_ct=1559255889291&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

This scouting report, and others, say he should be an early contributor, so he's not raw.

Thanks. I actually could not remember. Thought due to him being raw he would not be an early contributor. Thought he showed some nice things and things he needs to improve on. Excited to see him at FS

Just finished listening to both Kocurek and joe Woods. Last two yrs have just been gut wrenching to watch our D, but listen to these two guys and you will feel one heckuva lot better. Kyle doesnt need to have Wade Phillips but he needs help on D. Listen to both tapes and I think you will agree we got it.

Still not sure i understand the playcall on D, but won't take long to figure it out.
Moore could well become the "X" factor in the secondary...can fill in at CB or S. He could develop into a very important piece for Coach Woods & DC Saleh. Competition will determine who starts, but you can never have too many good players in the secondary.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I didn't take it that way.

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by OsBoogie:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I think/hope that even Harris will be there before DJ

he very well may be camp fodder

DJ is a slot corner.

Not DJ Reed, Dontae Johnson is who these were about

Oh
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Moore could well become the "X" factor in the secondary...can fill in at CB or S. He could develop into a very important piece for Coach Woods & DC Saleh. Competition will determine who starts, but you can never have too many good players in the secondary.

I don't want him playing multiple positions. They need to pick one and leave him there. I think it should be safety.
Share 49erswebzone