There are 132 users in the forums

49ers take Tarvarius Moore-DB-Southern Mississippi with Pick 95 in the 2018 Draft

"The big winner from USM's pro day was safety Tarvarius Moore.

Graded as a priority free agent entering the season, Moore was phenomenal in his workout today. He measured 6006 and 199 pounds and touched 39.5 inches in the vertical jump and 11-foot-2 in the broad jump. Moore timed a blistering 4.32 in the 40 as well as 6.89 in the three-cone. As was described to me by someone at the workout, Moore "killed it" during drills, which were run by the New Orleans Saints."

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-southern-mississippi
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
so we have a single high safety they want to convert to CB because he has the right measureables and fits the profile for a a CB??? this is a close your eyes and hope for the best draft pick based on what the quant guys in the building are telling you... this is like Balke drafting qb Rasheed Marshall in '05 and trying to make him a WR- fail... this is a desperate and reach type of pick when other guys with proven tape at a position of need could have helped more like Obo or Sweat! just my opinion as always, I hope he works out for the best but I am not hopeful...

1. Do you know how many guys have switched positions and been successful in the NFL? Hines Ward, Terrell Pryor, Jerick McKinnon, and Julian Edelman, all played QB in college. Sherman and Josh Jackson are converted WRs and many LTs are converted TEs. Not to mention, 3 hall of fame safeties in Lott, Rod and Charles Woodson (also Merton Hanks who might get there one day) were converted corners, and one future hall of fame safety, who is also our GM was a QB in college. CBs in our scheme are often playing deep zone anyway, so it's not like the transition is totally foreign.

2. You know who had "proven tape" as an edge rusher in college? Corey Lemonier, Eli Harold, Aaron Lynch, Tank Caradine, Cam Johnson, Paris Harylson, and Manny Lawson. Just because we draft an edge rusher, doesn't mean we've addressed our "positions of need.". If the front office doesn't view the players available as upgrades, it would be wiser to focus on the other 53 roster spots rather than fill our roster with more people that are just like the ones we already have.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 42,972
I love this pick. More competition at DB is good.
Originally posted by Spike1000:
"The big winner from USM's pro day was safety Tarvarius Moore.

Graded as a priority free agent entering the season, Moore was phenomenal in his workout today. He measured 6006 and 199 pounds and touched 39.5 inches in the vertical jump and 11-foot-2 in the broad jump. Moore timed a blistering 4.32 in the 40 as well as 6.89 in the three-cone. As was described to me by someone at the workout, Moore "killed it" during drills, which were run by the New Orleans Saints."

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-southern-mississippi

4.32 speed? Wow
Think this one's gonna pan out.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
1. Do you know how many guys have switched positions and been successful in the NFL? Hines Ward, Terrell Pryor, Jerick McKinnon, and Julian Edelman, all played QB in college. Sherman and Josh Jackson are converted WRs and many LTs are converted TEs. Not to mention, 3 hall of fame safeties in Lott, Rod and Charles Woodson (also Merton Hanks who might get there one day) were converted corners, and one future hall of fame safety, who is also our GM was a QB in college. CBs in our scheme are often playing deep zone anyway, so it's not like the transition is totally foreign.

2. You know who had "proven tape" as an edge rusher in college? Corey Lemonier, Eli Harold, Aaron Lynch, Tank Caradine, Cam Johnson, Paris Harylson, and Manny Lawson. Just because we draft an edge rusher, doesn't mean we've addressed our "positions of need.". If the front office doesn't view the players available as upgrades, it would be wiser to focus on the other 53 roster spots rather than fill our roster with more people that are just like the ones we already have.
Ding, ding, ding. Couldn't agree more
[ Edited by UCLA9er on Apr 28, 2018 at 1:44 AM ]
Originally posted by FrankPollack1994:
Originally posted by DaBum:
Originally posted by FrankPollack1994:
Initial reactions on a pick are usually more accurate. If you're going, "who" in an earlier round, it's probably a dud. Never let a pick grow on you.

Out of about 300 picks, about 270 of them will be nothing of note. Try looking at past drafts and see all the junk in them, and try to remember all the hype.

The reality is, you're lucky if ONE of your picks out of 7-11 of them becomes a very good starter.

Just think about this 2000 49ers draft class. Here's my memory of how our fan base thought of them:

Julian Peterson: Great athlete who reminds me of Charles Haley. (Very good but overrated player who wanted ridiculous money. Finesse guy whose production as a pass rusher would come on true blitzes instead of from a 3 point stance, despite playing DE in college. 6 seasons in SF, injured in most of one and mediocre in the last)

Ahmed Plummer: Smart and a great kid. Will be a very good corner for years to come! (Basically a bust. Showed some flashes of good play in 2001 and then was so bad he got benched against the Giants in the playoffs in 02-03 after making Amani Toomer look all-world, Antonio Langham vs. Keyshawn 1998 style. Then the injuries finished off a guy who was never a good starter to begin with).

John Engelberger: I've heard comparisons to Pierce Holt! If so, he's going to be a really solid player. (Holt comparisons laughable. He was an edge guy, not an interior lineman. Weak against the run, could only sack the QB on a fluke play where he just ran straight around the tackle, which he would do maybe 4 times per year. Not a starting-caliber player in the NFL. 5 lousy seasons and done in SF.).

Jason Webster: Another smart corner and a great kid! (Couldn't play the ball. He was actually a better man cover guy than Plummer, but he could be right there and the ball was completed anyway. A few years of mediocre play and done).

Giovanni Carmazzi: Our QBOTF! Smart and Italian like Mariucci! Mobile, good arm, accurate. (Deer in the headlights in preseason. Awful. Not an NFL caliber QB. Didn't make the roster his second year).

Jeff Ulbrich: Super-productive and great football intelligence! (Mediocre starter who lacked athleticism. Injuries finished him off).

John Keith: Big hitter! Might be our new starting SS! (He could hit, sure, but too athletically limited to start long-term. Injuries ended him almost before it even began).

Paul Smith: Might be a sleeper. Can play FB and RB. Special teams ace! (3 years of special teams fodder)

John Milem: 15 sacks! Maybe we found a small school steal! (Total dud who basically never played)

Tim Rattay: If Carmazzi doesn't work out for some reason, he's the QBOTF. College record setter! Walsh traded up in the 7th to get him, so he saw something he liked! (I liked him and wish they would have treated him like he was a first round pick and tried to coach him up, but they never do with late round guys. Needed major work on his pocket presence and decision making, and was injury prone. Few years of backup and brief moments of trying to be a starter, but injuries and inconsistency ended it abruptly).

Brian Jennings: I hear he's a really good long-snapper! (OK, he was a really good long snapper, for whatever that was worth).

And here's the 2001 draft. Remember, it was Bill Walsh doing these:

Andre Carter: Awesome pick. We've got our pass rusher, folks! Son of Rubin Carter. The most technically advanced college DE they've ever seen. He'll be a Pro Bowler. (Disappointment. Lacked the elite speed off the edge or the power to bull rush. Injuries, up and down production to where he had a few good sack total seasons, but was never really a force as a pass rusher in general, and out of SF after 5 seasons).

Jamie Winborn: The next Derrick Brooks! GREAT SPEED and playmaking ability! Future star. (Nolan threw him under the bus like the POS he is, but he was another walking injury. More quick than fast, lousy in coverage, and though a big hitter and really aggressive, not a consistent enough tackler. Out of SF after a little over 4 seasons).

Kevan Barlow: Mike Shanahan said he was the best RB in the draft! (He showed talent in his first 3 seasons in SF, but once given the full-time job in his 4th season, utterly flopped...turned into one of the worst RBs you'll see and was outperformed by UDFA Maurice Hicks, and of course, Frank Gore. Out of SF after 5 seasons, only 3 of them good, when he was splitting carries with Garrison Hearst)

Cedrick Wilson: He has speed! They got a 4.4 range 40-time on him! (Just a run-of-the-mill depth receiver who lacked speed. Good blocker is about the best you can say of him).

Rashad Holman: Don't remember. (Did nothing. 3 years of nickel and done).

Menson Holloway: Don't remember. (Didn't make team).

Alex Lincoln: Don't remember. (Didn't make team).

Eric Johnson: Walsh said he's the next Brent Jones! (Mediocre dumpoff/outlet tight end and a mediocre blocker. Jones was an overrated player himself, but in his peak athletic years, he could get deep in the seems and make some plays down field or after the catch. Johnson was a stiff who did neither).

Moral of the story: Temper the enthusiasm if you want to be remotely realistic.

You my friend are blowing a lot of hot air.

Peterson was a 5 time Pro Bowler and 1 time All-Pro. That's a good pick.

Plummer got destroyed by injuries. It happens and is hardly something you criticize a GM for. He had a 7 INT year in his second year and was selected to the all-rookie team the year before.

Engleberger was a four starter for us. Pretty good result for a 2nd rd pick.

Webster was a 3 year starter as a 2nd rd pick and started 3 more years in Atl after we let him leave.

Ulbrich started a majority of games in 5 seasons and played 9 years in SF. Were you expecting more from a 3rd rd pick?

Rattay was a good backup and got multiple starts in 4 different seasons as a 7th rd pick. That's a great result.

Jennings was our long snapper (actually very important) for 13 freaking years and made a Pro bowl as a 7th rd pick. That's extremely rare FYI.

Carter had 80 sacks in his career. That's a result most would take if given the option at draft time. Not our fault out coaches sucked and he made more than half of them elsewhere.

Winborn couldn't stay healthy but still had a 10 year career.

Barlow was over hyped because he did well as a backup early on. He still amassed nearly 5000 yards as a 49er in 5 seasons. Not bad for a 3rd rd RB who played on terrible teams.

Wilson was a 6th rd pick at WR. Most of those guys end up cut or never seeing the field. Yet, he played 5 seasons here while starting in 19 games.

Eric Johnson started 47 games in 4 years and had a 80 catch season as a 7th rd TE. You're saying that was a bad pick? Lol.

...

You are cherry picking the most rosy things thought of these draft picks when a large majority didn't go that far on the hype train. Most of these picks produced better than average for where they were picked. I have no idea why you went after these drafts. Plenty of other, more recent draft that bombed.

Peterson made 3 of those Pro Bowls for another franchise. That's not as good a pick as it would seem. He was also overrated in 2002 because of the whole, "he played 6 different positions against Dallas!" garbage.

Plummer was horrid after 2001. And EVERYONE makes the all-rookie team when they start as a rookie. He was atrocious as a rookie. He was getting torched when healthy. The injuries just finished him off for good so he couldn't stick around to suck as long as Mike Rumph.

Engelberger: He was a piss-poor starter. Starting does not mean "good starter." As I said, he was weak vs. the run and an awful pass rusher. When you take a guy high in the 2nd round, you are hoping for better than a guy who is NOT a starting-caliber player.

Webster: Where do you get the idea that when you take 2nd round picks, you're expecting guys who aren't even good enough to where you want them starting for you? Ridiculous.

Ulbrich: What do you mean, "what am I expecting?" I'm pointing out that people on here are being way too optimistic about these picks, as they are every year. Ulbrich was another guy who wasn't good enough to be a solid starter. This is how most picks will be, but here we have people loving all of our picks so far. I doubt they would be loving them if they knew they were going to be backup caliber players who might be poor starters for a few years, then leave for another team.

Carter: Again, he was getting MAJOR hype. The 49ers TRADED UP for him. When you do that, you're expecting a Pro Bowler. You're expecting a star. He wasn't. He was plagued by injuries, he was inconsistent in production, and when he did get the production, he got it as "sacks and nothing else" sort of stuff. He wasn't a pressures guy. He wasn't a guy who teams had to game plan for. And when you take a DE 7th overall and trade up for him, that's what you're hoping for. When you don't get that, you're disappointed.

Winborn: Jesus, you just missed the whole point of my post. It's not about what I'M expecting, it's what other people are expecting. And anyway, being in the league a while as an injury-prone backup for most of it is NOT what people are expecting from a 2nd round pick. But a lot of the time, that's what you end up with. People loved this pick and thought he could be the next Derrick Brooks. He wasn't even starter-caliber.

Barlow: :facepalm: Again, when he came out, people thought he was our RBOTF. They weren't expecting Hearst to successfully return to form from the two years out with the avascular necrosis injury. They talked about how Mike Shanahan called him "the best RB in the draft." THAT is where the hype came from. And then he looked good splitting carries with Hearst. But once he took over, he was AWFUL. Saying he "amassed this number of cumulative yards" is ridiculous. He averaged 3.3 yards per carry over the two years he played here after being given the feature RB role and signing a new contract. That is ungodly awful. He was outperformed by Maurice Hicks, so the "awful teams" excuse carries no water...especially considering he sucked when he went to the Jets, too, and his career ended after that.

Eric Johnson: Again, I'm talking about hype vs. reality. He was a dumpoff guy. I don't expect 7th round picks to make the roster, but people were expecting big things from him because of the Brent Jones comparisons.

Again, the point is that people's optimism about players in draft classes is always really unrealistic. When you look back at this stuff, it all seems so depressingly pointless. Why did we care that much? Virtually none of it ended up mattering...even beyond the, "well, you're usually not going to win the Super Bowl" level. People talked about this stuff like there was something really big and meaningful long term, but there wasn't.

And that's what we're most likely looking at here. We're most likely never going to see Kyle Shanahan/John Lynch win a Super Bowl. Most likely, McGlinchey will be a Ross Verba-type starter. Most likely, Pettis will be nothing of note, like the types of receivers Baalke used to go for in the middle rounds. Most likely, Warner won't even start many games. Most likely, Moore will be a dud.
A real winner, oh ya..
Originally posted by DaBum:
Originally posted by FrankPollack1994:
Initial reactions on a pick are usually more accurate. If you're going, "who" in an earlier round, it's probably a dud. Never let a pick grow on you.

Out of about 300 picks, about 270 of them will be nothing of note. Try looking at past drafts and see all the junk in them, and try to remember all the hype.

The reality is, you're lucky if ONE of your picks out of 7-11 of them becomes a very good starter.

Just think about this 2000 49ers draft class. Here's my memory of how our fan base thought of them:

Julian Peterson: Great athlete who reminds me of Charles Haley. (Very good but overrated player who wanted ridiculous money. Finesse guy whose production as a pass rusher would come on true blitzes instead of from a 3 point stance, despite playing DE in college. 6 seasons in SF, injured in most of one and mediocre in the last)

Ahmed Plummer: Smart and a great kid. Will be a very good corner for years to come! (Basically a bust. Showed some flashes of good play in 2001 and then was so bad he got benched against the Giants in the playoffs in 02-03 after making Amani Toomer look all-world, Antonio Langham vs. Keyshawn 1998 style. Then the injuries finished off a guy who was never a good starter to begin with).

John Engelberger: I've heard comparisons to Pierce Holt! If so, he's going to be a really solid player. (Holt comparisons laughable. He was an edge guy, not an interior lineman. Weak against the run, could only sack the QB on a fluke play where he just ran straight around the tackle, which he would do maybe 4 times per year. Not a starting-caliber player in the NFL. 5 lousy seasons and done in SF.).

Jason Webster: Another smart corner and a great kid! (Couldn't play the ball. He was actually a better man cover guy than Plummer, but he could be right there and the ball was completed anyway. A few years of mediocre play and done).

Giovanni Carmazzi: Our QBOTF! Smart and Italian like Mariucci! Mobile, good arm, accurate. (Deer in the headlights in preseason. Awful. Not an NFL caliber QB. Didn't make the roster his second year).

Jeff Ulbrich: Super-productive and great football intelligence! (Mediocre starter who lacked athleticism. Injuries finished him off).

John Keith: Big hitter! Might be our new starting SS! (He could hit, sure, but too athletically limited to start long-term. Injuries ended him almost before it even began).

Paul Smith: Might be a sleeper. Can play FB and RB. Special teams ace! (3 years of special teams fodder)

John Milem: 15 sacks! Maybe we found a small school steal! (Total dud who basically never played)

Tim Rattay: If Carmazzi doesn't work out for some reason, he's the QBOTF. College record setter! Walsh traded up in the 7th to get him, so he saw something he liked! (I liked him and wish they would have treated him like he was a first round pick and tried to coach him up, but they never do with late round guys. Needed major work on his pocket presence and decision making, and was injury prone. Few years of backup and brief moments of trying to be a starter, but injuries and inconsistency ended it abruptly).

Brian Jennings: I hear he's a really good long-snapper! (OK, he was a really good long snapper, for whatever that was worth).

And here's the 2001 draft. Remember, it was Bill Walsh doing these:

Andre Carter: Awesome pick. We've got our pass rusher, folks! Son of Rubin Carter. The most technically advanced college DE they've ever seen. He'll be a Pro Bowler. (Disappointment. Lacked the elite speed off the edge or the power to bull rush. Injuries, up and down production to where he had a few good sack total seasons, but was never really a force as a pass rusher in general, and out of SF after 5 seasons).

Jamie Winborn: The next Derrick Brooks! GREAT SPEED and playmaking ability! Future star. (Nolan threw him under the bus like the POS he is, but he was another walking injury. More quick than fast, lousy in coverage, and though a big hitter and really aggressive, not a consistent enough tackler. Out of SF after a little over 4 seasons).

Kevan Barlow: Mike Shanahan said he was the best RB in the draft! (He showed talent in his first 3 seasons in SF, but once given the full-time job in his 4th season, utterly flopped...turned into one of the worst RBs you'll see and was outperformed by UDFA Maurice Hicks, and of course, Frank Gore. Out of SF after 5 seasons, only 3 of them good, when he was splitting carries with Garrison Hearst)

Cedrick Wilson: He has speed! They got a 4.4 range 40-time on him! (Just a run-of-the-mill depth receiver who lacked speed. Good blocker is about the best you can say of him).

Rashad Holman: Don't remember. (Did nothing. 3 years of nickel and done).

Menson Holloway: Don't remember. (Didn't make team).

Alex Lincoln: Don't remember. (Didn't make team).

Eric Johnson: Walsh said he's the next Brent Jones! (Mediocre dumpoff/outlet tight end and a mediocre blocker. Jones was an overrated player himself, but in his peak athletic years, he could get deep in the seems and make some plays down field or after the catch. Johnson was a stiff who did neither).

Moral of the story: Temper the enthusiasm if you want to be remotely realistic.

You my friend are blowing a lot of hot air.

Peterson was a 5 time Pro Bowler and 1 time All-Pro. That's a good pick.

Plummer got destroyed by injuries. It happens and is hardly something you criticize a GM for. He had a 7 INT year in his second year and was selected to the all-rookie team the year before.

Engleberger was a four starter for us. Pretty good result for a 2nd rd pick.

Webster was a 3 year starter as a 2nd rd pick and started 3 more years in Atl after we let him leave.

Ulbrich started a majority of games in 5 seasons and played 9 years in SF. Were you expecting more from a 3rd rd pick?

Rattay was a good backup and got multiple starts in 4 different seasons as a 7th rd pick. That's a great result.

Jennings was our long snapper (actually very important) for 13 freaking years and made a Pro bowl as a 7th rd pick. That's extremely rare FYI.

Carter had 80 sacks in his career. That's a result most would take if given the option at draft time. Not our fault out coaches sucked and he made more than half of them elsewhere.

Winborn couldn't stay healthy but still had a 10 year career.

Barlow was over hyped because he did well as a backup early on. He still amassed nearly 5000 yards as a 49er in 5 seasons. Not bad for a 3rd rd RB who played on terrible teams.

Wilson was a 6th rd pick at WR. Most of those guys end up cut or never seeing the field. Yet, he played 5 seasons here while starting in 19 games.

Eric Johnson started 47 games in 4 years and had a 80 catch season as a 7th rd TE. You're saying that was a bad pick? Lol.




...

You are cherry picking the most rosy things thought of these draft picks when a large majority didn't go that far on the hype train. Most of these picks produced better than average for where they were picked. I have no idea why you went after these drafts. Plenty of other, more recent draft that bombed.


This X 1000. A lot of hot air being blown indeed. What does he expect, all these draft picks to turn into hall of famers? Lol.

Just a really awkward post considering that was actually a solid draft that netted a lot of starters. People like to be optimistic and hope for the best in the potential that they see from draft picks. That doesn't mean they actually expect all these guys to be stars. But if you can net that many starters or contributing players like in the 2000 or 2001 draft then you did fine. Was not a good example to prove his point lol. Should have picked the 2012 draft or lots of other drafts he could have picked.
  • 6'2" 200 CB - Check
  • 4.32 - Check
  • Physical - Check
  • Versatile FS/CB - Check
  • Gunner on ST (he and Mostert could be ) - Check
  • Learn from Sherman - Check
Originally posted by NCommand:
  • 6'2" 200 CB - Check
  • 4.32 - Check
  • Physical - Check
  • Versatile FS/CB - Check
  • Gunner on ST (he and Mostert could be ) - Check
  • Learn from Sherman - Check

Pretty much, he's also a baller, and the team loves versatility, they are drafting him with the knowledge they can mold him, and he could play Safety if needed.

Personally I prefer this type of pick on Day 3, but the hype was definitely building after his insane pro day.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Lynch saying that Moore will be put at CB.

Love it, dude ran a 4.32 and has 33 3/4 arm his film (from the little I saw) showed ball skills, he looked like he has good loose hips not stiff at all.

It's a projection but I think it's a good one.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by NCommand:
  • 6'2" 200 CB - Check
  • 4.32 - Check
  • Physical - Check
  • Versatile FS/CB - Check
  • Gunner on ST (he and Mostert could be ) - Check
  • Learn from Sherman - Check

Pretty much, he's also a baller, and the team loves versatility, they are drafting him with the knowledge they can mold him, and he could play Safety if needed.

Personally I prefer this type of pick on Day 3, but the hype was definitely building after his insane pro day.

Agreed I like the pick, first thing I said was he's gonna be a CB. It was what the 93rd pick? So lose enough to a day think pick

Let's go get your boy OBO and I'll be happy with his draft
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,712
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Love it! Imo the only 2 things about the draft I'm iffy about so far is the reach for pettis, and no pass rushers yet. Hoping for duke ejiofor tomorrow.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Think this one's gonna pan out.

I got the same feeling.
Well we needed depth in the secondary so this pick makes tons of sense for us.
Share 49erswebzone