There are 243 users in the forums

49ers take Tarvarius Moore-DB-Southern Mississippi

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by OsBoogie:

It's the only time injuries to Jimmy Ward is actually good

That's certainly true. Then again, we have Dontae Johnson backing up Richard Sherman now too.

That's certainly true. Then again, we have Dontae Johnson backing up Richard Sherman now too.

whoever loses between Verrett and Spoon likely is the main backup for both CB spots. Reed also will be there before DJ
  • thl408
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Interchangeable doesn't necessarily mean a switch to 2-high. And it also doesn't mean the current personnel can do it. Lol

Joe woods talked about it...look it up, they also used more of it towards the end of last yr

What Furlow said is true. Interchangeable doesn't specifically mean Cover2. They can be playing Cover3 and having two interchangeable safeties means they can rotate either one down into the box without showing a tendency - one safety isn't rotating down more frequently than the other. I think what this all means is we may see this (below) more often this season.

49ers show a Cover 2 look presnap, but will rotate Tartt down to the strong side curl/flat to reveal Cover3. I think the 49ers want to do this with equal effectiveness to either side, with either safety.

Originally posted by thl408:
Interchangeable doesn't necessarily mean a switch to 2-high. And it also doesn't mean the current personnel can do it. Lol

Joe woods talked about it...look it up, they also used more of it towards the end of last yr

What Furlow said is true. Interchangeable doesn't specifically mean Cover2. They can be playing Cover3 and having two interchangeable safeties means they can rotate either one down into the box without showing a tendency - one safety isn't rotating down more frequently than the other. I think what this all means is we may see this (below) more often this season.

49ers show a Cover 2 look presnap, but will rotate Tartt down to the strong side curl/flat to reveal Cover3. I think the 49ers want to do this with equal effectiveness to either side, with either safety.

Right I understand what interchangeable means in regards to safety play

There's been talks about them using more 2-high from the current DB coach...(I can't remember which podcast it was from talking about using it more towards the end of last season) I want to say Maiocco or Better rivals spoke about it

There's been talks about them using more 2-high from the current DB coach...(I can't remember which podcast it was from talking about using it more towards the end of last season) I want to say Maiocco or Better rivals spoke about it

2 high pre-snap doesn't mean 2 high coverage. Fangio always showed a 2 high but nearly always brought a safety down and played either cover 6 or 3. I see us doing similar things to that because of our wide 9. That wide 9 usually requires a safety to fill in either in a fill and scrape role or straight fill role in the C Gap - especially if the offense flexes out a TE. What Fangio would do, if the offense ran a PA and we were in cover 6 or 3, the playside safety would attack downhill in a filling capacity and the backside safety would drop into a deep coverage. That way, if it's a run to that side you have a safety flying down like a missile in run support and yet still have deep coverage over the middle. I see us doing that kind of stuff.

whoever loses between Verrett and Spoon likely is the main backup for both CB spots. Reed also will be there before DJ

I think/hope that even Harris will be there before DJ
  • thl408

Oh ok. It felt like you were correcting Furlow because you thought he was wrong.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

This is my take as well.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
I'm glad this kid is going to be playing some free safety.

They said that?

Matt Maoicco said he played some FS today

So did Salah. Here we go. I hate jerking players around. This is what a Ward does to a team and position neglect. BUT, hopefully this is a blessing in disguise. Pencil in Dontae Johnson behind Sherman now.

Lets Hope Sherman's ACL holds up.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Lets Hope Sherman's ACL holds up.

ACL?
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
2 high pre-snap doesn't mean 2 high coverage. Fangio always showed a 2 high but nearly always brought a safety down and played either cover 6 or 3. I see us doing similar things to that because of our wide 9. That wide 9 usually requires a safety to fill in either in a fill and scrape role or straight fill role in the C Gap - especially if the offense flexes out a TE. What Fangio would do, if the offense ran a PA and we were in cover 6 or 3, the playside safety would attack downhill in a filling capacity and the backside safety would drop into a deep coverage. That way, if it's a run to that side you have a safety flying down like a missile in run support and yet still have deep coverage over the middle. I see us doing that kind of stuff.

If I remember correctly, Fangio ran a system based out of Quarters (lots of Cover6). Quarters safeties have a run fit so if the run play goes to the Quarters side, like you said, they come flying in for run support.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

he very well may be camp fodder
Originally posted by 49ers808:

he very well may be camp fodder

DJ is a slot corner.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

If I remember correctly, Fangio ran a system based out of Quarters (lots of Cover6). Quarters safeties have a run fit so if the run play goes to the Quarters side, like you said, they come flying in for run support.
Yeah.....isn't that what I said? I just meant 2 high in that you had 2 safeties back. Because of the way this defense plays their outside guys I see us having a lot more pressed look, but, like we've seen the past 2 years, those outside guys will bail out often right before the snap in their deep 1/3 coverage. The hard part will be on the WILL backer as he'll have more post-snap reading to do. He's go to remember, if it's a run action away from him but a pass, he's got the weakside flat coverage. That can be tough duty.
Share 49ersWebzone