LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

49ers take Tarvarius Moore-DB-Southern Mississippi

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Majority tall with the long arms.
2017 was the saving grace although Colbert was moved to Safety.
2013 Johnathan Banks 2nd round
2014 Justin Gilbert 1st round
2014 Pierre Desir 4th round
2015 Charles Gaines 6th round
2015 Ifo Ekpre-Olomu 7th round
2016 Will Redmond 3rd round
2016 Rashard Robinson 4th round
2017 Ahkello Witherspoon 3rd round
2017 Adrian Colbert 7th round
NFL Draft prospect to know: Tarvarius Moore, FS, Southern Miss39
This safety prospect is rising up the draft boards.By Cole Patterson@colelpatterson Apr 14, 2018, 2:30pm CDT

Tarvarius Moore — free safety, Southern Miss Golden Eagles6-foot-1
SeniorKelvin Kuo-USA TODAY SportsOne of the sudden risers of the 2018 NFL Draft process appears to be Southern Miss defensive back Tarvarius Moore. Moore, a senior that began his collegiate career on the JUCO level, is generating day two hype at the moment. With the Cowboys needing to add a safety to the mix, could Moore be a realistic option this April?
As noted above, Tarvarius Moore began his collegiate career as a Junior College football player. Playing at Pearl River CC in Mississippi, Moore blossomed from an overlooked high school prospect into a Division-1 caliber player. Moore was a star for Pearl River in 2015, making first team all-conference (MACJC) as both a cornerback and as a kick returner. The two-star DB only gathered interest from two D1 programs — Southern Miss and Louisville — but he inked with the Golden Eagles and soon became an instant playmaker as soon as he arrived to campus.
In 2016, Moore's junior season and first at USM, the Mississippi native grew into a solid contributor in the defensive backfield: 17 tackles, two deflected passes, and a team-high two interceptions (one came against the LSU Tigers). His first D1 season wasn't going to earn him any accolades, but it gave him the confidence that he can play on the big stage.
Moore put together quite the senior campaign this past fall. The 6-foot-1 defensive back emerged as one of the better players on the Golden Eagles' roster in 2017, as he earned honorable mention all-conference honors in 2017. Moore finished with 87 tackles — 59 solo and three for a loss — ten deflected passes, forced a fumble, recovered one, and picked off three more passes last season.
Tarvarius Moore wasn't invited to the combine, but that hasn't stopped him from rising draft boards in this past weeks. Here are just a few thoughts from analysts and writers on the intriguing safety from Brett Favre's alma mater.

Dane Brugler notes that Moore is his highest ranked prospect that did not participate in the 2018 Scouting Combine.Tarvarius Moore, Southern Miss (6-1, 199, 4.32)
The highest-ranked non-Combine prospect on my draft board, Moore spent two seasons at the junior college level before coming off the bench as a junior at Southern Miss and starting as a senior. He lit up his pro day (4.32 40-yard dash, 39.5-inch vertical, 11-feet-2 broad jump), and that athleticism matches the tape. If a non-Combine prospect is going to crash the top-100 picks, it will be Moore.
Brugler also has the Cowboys grabbing Moore at 81 in his latest three-round mock.

NFL Draft analyst Josh Norris says Moore is one of the most talented safety prospects in this draft class.Round 4 (116): S Tarvarius Moore, Southern Miss - I'm a big fan of Xavier Woods and think he'll sustain starting caliber play. Moreover, Moore is one of the more talented players at the position I've seen in this class. I have a feeling we are catching up on him on the outside, but he has fans inside the NFL.
NFL.com's Lance Zierlein is another writer that is high on the USM DB.Lance Zierlein
@LanceZierlein

I can't believe I just got to USM safety Tarvarius Moore. His testing numbers were insane at 4.32, with 38.5 VJ and 11'1" BJ, but the tape matched the testing. Excellent cover skills too. Easy second day selection and one of the most under-the-radar safeties in the class.
5:36 PM - Apr 4, 2018
171 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Tarvarius Moore, S, Southern Miss
The 6-1, 195-pound Moore caught my attention with a scintillating pro day that included a 4.32-second 40-yard dash, a 38.5-inch vertical leap and an 11-foot, 1-inch broad jump. When a player produces speed and explosive numbers like that, it requires an extra look at the game tape because those traits are going to be highly coveted by NFL teams. What I found on tape was a safety with good size, play speed that matched his timed speed as well as the smooth footwork and athleticism needed to handle his coverage duties. Moore has cover skills and he's a downhill run supporter. He has quality ball skills and instincts. Somehow, Moore wasn't invited to the NFL Scouting Combine and has flown well under the public's radar, but NFL teams are all very well aware of him. He's likely to come off the board on Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) of the draft. He has the potential to be a good NFL starter.
Some of my fellow BTB FPW's have also weighed in on the safety prospect that is now one of the 30 pre-draft visitors for America's Team. Here's what DannyPhantom and Michael Sisemore have to say about Moore.
Phantom:
There might not be a hotter draft prospect climbing the boards right now that Tarvarius Moore. I have him mocked to the Cowboys in the fourth round, but Brugler doesn't mess around as he has Dallas picking Moore in round three.
It's great to have the athleticism to stop on a dime. It's also great to have the physicality to make your opponents do the same.
Draft projection: 3-4
Sisemore:
FS Tarvarious Moore, Southern Miss (Brugler: —)
Where he fits: Moore is a new name that just crept up after Brugler mocked him to the Cowboys in the third round but he's still relatively unknown. Moore's tape shows a fantastic athlete that fits the single-high needs for this team to the "T". He's an aggressive tackler that tracks the ball well with the hands to make a quarterback pay for throwing his way. At his Pro Day, Moore posted a 4.32 40-time, 38.5 vert, and 11.1 broad jump. He's going to face questions about the competition level he was up against but the guy does have great cover skills.
Overall, Tarvarius Moore appears to be an ideal selection for a team — such as the Cowboys, for instance — that is looking for a safety in the third or fourth-round. Moore possesses great size (6-foot-1, 199) and his five interceptions over his two D1 seasons shows that he can make some plays on the ball when needed.
He does have some flaws obviously, but his length, speed, and coverage skills makes him a prospect that the Cowboys need to seriously consider with picks 81 and 116.
While Pro Day's aren't everything, he made a name for himself at USM's in late March:
Moore stole the show in the 40-yard dash, clocking a 4.35 on his first attempt and a 4.32 the second go-round. The 6-1, 199-pounder also finished the day with the best vertical, at 39 ½ inches, and the top broad jump, at 11-feet, 1-inch.
Rob@RobPaul54
After a HUGE Pro Day Southern Miss safety Tarvarius Moore is rising up NFL Draft boards. Against Florida State I counted 19 times he got involved in making tackles. Brings a swagger and aggressiveness to the secondary. Raw in coverage but he can make plays like this.
8:54 PM - Apr 5, 2018
See Rob's other Tweets
Marcus Mosher
@Marcus_Mosher
Tarvarius Moore beats the block and makes the tackle.
9:32 AM - Apr 10, 2018
See Marcus Mosher's other Tweets
Steve Frederick@SportsGuyTweets
I see it's Tarvarius Moore day for Draft Twitter
8:43 PM - Apr 4, 2018
See Steve Frederick's other Tweets
Thoughts, BTB?
*Stats gathered from sports-reference.com, unless otherwise noted.
Catch up with our previous installments below!
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Austin Bryant, DE Clemson
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Tarvarus McFadden, CB Florida State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Martinas Rankin, OL Mississippi State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Daron Payne, DT, Alabama
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Harold Landry, DE, Boston College
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Derwin James, Safety, Florida State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Ronnie Harrison, Safety, Alabama
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Deontay Burnett, WR, USC
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis
NFL Draft Prospect to know: Vita Vea, DT, Washington Huskies
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Nyheim Hines, RB, North Carolina State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa Hawkeyes
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Deadrin Senat, DT, South Florida
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA Roadrunners
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: PJ Hall, DT, Sam Houston State
NFL Draft Prospect to Know: Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
More From Blogging The BoysReport: Terrell McClain is scheduling a visit with the Cowboys later this week10 up: The almost unused personnel package that is going to be big for the Cowboys in 2018Cowboys news: Why Ezekiel Elliott will "absolutely" reclaim NFL rushing title in 2018Coby Fleener has been released, should Cowboys be interested?10 things we learned from the Cowboys season on "All or Nothing"Ryan Switzer says Cowboys may have viewed him as a running back
MOST READ
Cowboys news: Why Ezekiel Elliott will "absolutely" reclaim NFL rushing title in 2018
Coby Fleener has been released, should Cowboys be interested?
10 up: The almost unused personnel package that is going to be big for the Cowboys in 2018
Report: Terrell McClain is scheduling a visit with the Cowboys later this week
10 things we learned from the Cowboys season on "All or Nothing"
Way to go, Stubby, Thanks.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

English taking a break in modding to break down college game films ...
True or false it's easier moving from safety to corner then vise versa?

I would say yes. I'm low key high on Moore and he's got all the time to be ready when his number is called.
I think he is going to be a stud. Maybe not as a rookie but when he gets experience look out league.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pff_college/status/973612406864859136?lang=en

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-safety-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-hidden-gems-underrated-prospects-in-the-draft
[ Edited by SteveYoung on May 8, 2018 at 2:55 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I think he is going to be a stud. Maybe not as a rookie but when he gets experience look out league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-safety-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-hidden-gems-underrated-prospects-in-the-draft

He might not play his first two years much if sherm ends up ballin and that's okay with me. Rotating, learning, and having depth is important as we've all seen.
Safety is harder than corner because you have to learn to cover 4 to 5 receivers on any single play while covering the field to stop the run. But corner takes a lot more technical ability and a special athlete that is both quick and fast.
Moore has the athletic tools and size to be special if he can get the technical abilities down.
This is where is pays to have one of the greatest technical CBs of all time on the roster.

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

He might not play his first two years much if sherm ends up ballin and that's okay with me. Rotating, learning, and having depth is important as we've all seen.

Yeah, I think that was why we took him over another prototype who was more polished and ready to play today.
Originally posted by Ice49er:
Safety is harder than corner because you have to learn to cover 4 to 5 receivers on any single play while covering the field to stop the run. But corner takes a lot more technical ability and a special athlete that is both quick and fast.
Moore has the athletic tools and size to be special if he can get the technical abilities down.
This is where is pays to have one of the greatest technical CBs of all time on the roster.

True. I just like as a FS you still need to read things like a CB.. And like you said sometimes gotta account for a few WRs if they're on your side of the field or gonna possibly break in your area. That's why I think he'll up translating and be a nice pairing with spoon down the road.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on May 8, 2018 at 3:47 PM ]
He looks like has the natural ball skills you just cannot teach. Obviously you can't teach the 4.3 speed either but that speed does you almost no good if you don't have good ball skills. This kid is going to be a player. It will take some time obviously, maybe up to 2 years before he makes an impact but I really think this kid will be a player for us. I think and D.J Reed both will have good NFL careers. I also think McFadden will make the team and he will contribute as a rookie.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
He looks like has the natural ball skills you just cannot teach. Obviously you can't teach the 4.3 speed either but that speed does you almost no good if you don't have good ball skills. This kid is going to be a player. It will take some time obviously, maybe up to 2 years before he makes an impact but I really think this kid will be a player for us. I think and D.J Reed both will have good NFL careers. I also think McFadden will make the team and he will contribute as a rookie.

I had a feeling spoon after getting some experience was gonna be good. I got same hunch with this dude.
Sounds like Seattle is doing something similar with Tre Flowers. He was a SS with some great athletic numbers and long ass arms.
Share 49ersWebzone