There are 296 users in the forums

1st Team All Pro - LB Fred Warner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
So Mike or Will?

The positions are largely interchangeable, long term I'm guessing he'd be the Will with Froster playing MLB.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Could not be more pumped with this pick! So pumped for Warner and Foster
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Underrated aspect of this pick is that he will be a huge difference maker against teams with great TEs. A guy just as big as TEs who can run and is used to covering slot WRs. That is truly unique.
I'm a bit iffy on Pettis and Moore, but Warner and McGlinchey I certainly approve of so far.
John Lynch just referenced Fred's ability to play with great vision, awareness and click-and-close ability in zone coverage. Here's a play I highlighted demonstrating some of those abilities:

Originally posted by Heroism:
Still grinding Warner's tape and continue to find things that translate. The transition to off-ball LB might be slightly turbulent in run fits to start, but Warner is already exceptional in coverage. His zone awareness is impressive.

Plays such as this one translate to Saleh's defense. The football IQ here is outstanding. Protects the sticks w/ proper depth; Head on a swivel; Reads QB the entire way. A lot to like about Warner, and he fits the 49ers' athletic profile at LB.

If the 49ers defer on LB until late day 2/day 3, Warner is my guy.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
3rd rd. picks were great. Love Warner!
[ Edited by 4ML on Apr 27, 2018 at 8:13 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm a bit iffy on Pettis and Moore, but Warner and McGlinchey I certainly approve of so far.

Would you care to summarize why? I am just looking for someone to change my mind on one of these picks... I feel like we could have got all of these guys plus one if we didn't trade up, and I felt like there were better players on the board..... Pettis looks fast on tape though, but I wish I had accurate combine numbers as if he were healthy
John Lynch just referenced Fred's ability to play with great vision, awareness and click-and-close ability in zone coverage. Here's a play I highlighted demonstrating some of those abilities:

Still grinding Warner's tape and continue to find things that translate. The transition to off-ball LB might be slightly turbulent in run fits to start, but Warner is already exceptional in coverage. His zone awareness is impressive.

Plays such as this one translate to Saleh's defense. The football IQ here is outstanding. Protects the sticks w/ proper depth; Head on a swivel; Reads QB the entire way. A lot to like about Warner, and he fits the 49ers' athletic profile at LB.

If the 49ers defer on LB until late day 2/day 3, Warner is my guy.

Good call, hope he pans out
how have some of you not heard of this guy or had him ranked lowly? The zone has been gushing over this guy over the last week. Has literally been in almost every mock draft

Great pick! This guy plays with tenacity and has the sideline to sideline speed to cover running backs and mobile QBs. I can see this guy as being a perfect weapon against RW

Him and Foster are going to make a great future duo!
This is honestly the first pick in the draft that made me smile. Good pick.

• bors
  • Veteran
So out of my own ignorance

Is this guy a special talent starter
?

Is he more than just a brick coyle type guy?
Really hope he is somthing for us. A 3rd round pick I am hoping for starter
How bad is the tackling? A LB with tackling issues scares the s**t out of me.

Interesting and fun facts about Fred Warner.

He is from San Marcos CA (North County San Diego). He went to Mission Hills High School. It's one of the best High School programs for football in the area. 6'3" 236 lbs. 4.6 forty. He probably plays a little faster than that. I don't think he had great production from a #'s perspective but what he is great at is flying all over the field. He really covers a lot of ground sideline to sideline. Plus he can cover RB's and even TE's or WR's sometimes. He's pretty fast and with his tall length he is pretty effective in coverage.

He was a really big star in High School at a super premier program in San Diego. Mission Hills has won the San Diego Section Championship a few times. I believe they did it in his time era. There were some other really good players on that team. Some in college and some pro prospects too.

I can't say I followed him a huge amount at BYU. But from talking to a lot of people who know him they regard him as a pretty good speed LB and excellent in coverage. That's where he can really excel. He's a very good but maybe not super elite athlete. IMO he plays faster than that timed speed. I saw him play in High School and he was really fast running around and a hard hitter and good tackler.

You would like to see some bigger numbers. But he is a real good athlete, has height and frame and can cover really well. I think there are some good tools there. I'm not sure how they plan on using him or how they see him? But he is a very good athlete with a real good frame too. You would like to see more production yes. But he is a pretty good athlete.

He was very highly recruited out of High School BTW. There were a lot of stories about him. He eventually chose BYU. But he had other offers too. I believe there was some kind of connection there for him as far as I understand. Like somebody that he already knew there? I'm not sure if it was a player or coach or program familiarity or what? But somehow he was a little connected there at BYU and that's one reason he chose it.

So I hope this background helps out some. It's going way back to his early days. But some interesting information in there for you.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 27, 2018 at 9:14 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone