LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

1st Team All Pro - LB Fred Warner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just glad Lynch picked up a LB that cover.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Saleh's face whe speaking to Warner on the phone said it all. He knows he has a baller.

I loved the thought of Roquan Smith and Froster playing together, I thought they could be a devastating duo but alas it was not to be.

With that said, I think Warner and Reuben can be really good together too once he straightens out his legal issues. For a guy who played a position that basically doesn't exist in the NFL, Warner did show some terrific instincts and vision, if that translates he could be a really special player.

You got a link to that? I love those vids but only saw the McGlinchey one.
Originally posted by genus49:

Originally posted by NYniner85:
McGlinchey was the top overall OT and it really wasn't close...if the plan was to move on from Brown (who reportedly showed up to training camp close to 400 lbs) then it had to be done, I wanted to develop a guy but if that's all true, I can live with it.

Pettis was a top 5 WR in my book and I only had Miller and Ridley over him as far as route-running goes. Dude can play inside and out and imo (I keep stating this) is Diggs 2.0. I really think he can be a good WR in his offense.

Warner is a stud and a draft crush... perfect off ball LBer for this scheme. Great in coverage and his instincts really show vs the run (gets off blocks and finds the gaps). Foster and warner will be long time starters as long as Foster stays out of trouble.

Moore is a athletic freak, dude ran a 4.32 and has 33 and 3/4 inch arms, he's fluid with loose hips imo he's a CB and if he progresses behind Sherman, could be the best pick in our draft (I totally get the pick). Pro day numbers...4.32 40, 39.5 vert, 11-2 broad, 6.89 3-cone those numbers are pretty insane for his size/length.

Day 3 overall was blah...Streets Is a horrible pick with the ACL. Dude will be a bull vs the run, but doesn't fill a need at all (no more big ends). Reed (go watch him) has everything you want for a slot DB. Love the attitude, he will push Williams off the team at some pt this season. He's got really long arms for his size as well.

Could careless about the 6th and 7th rd picks, they will fight to be on the team (overall not impressed with them).

Gotta throw Jimmy G into the equation because his pick was this yr....didnt touch edge which really really pissed me off, but sometimes the draft doesn't have those type of guys (would have gone OBO or Sweat over Streets).

Go look at the draft gurus, they all thought it was a solid draft really the only guys hating on it are the fans lol.

Let's be honest drafts where you take OT in the top 10 who isn't described as a can't miss product and future HOF OT isn't sexy.

It certainly wasn't a pick I was pleased with at the time. Not sure I'm exactly thrilled with it now but considering the Brown situation and the fact that Oakland would've taken him at #10 if we didn't take him makes that pick MUCH easier to take.

We paid Jimmy a lot of money. We need to ensure he's not out there with garbage and trying to pull magic out of a hat again. McGlinchey made sense knowing what we know now and honestly the only guys I would've really been excited by at that point with Ward and Roquan off the board would've been Landry...who we saw drop all the way down to 41 so he would've been a giant reach knowing what we know now. So then I ask myself would adding Minkah or Derwin make us a better team? I don't think so. I like our safeties and I'm not sold on Minkah being a great corner. If Brown fell on his face this year is that what we want? Much rather ensure our OL is as strong as possible for Jimmy as we'll likely have to have a lot of shootouts.

If anything my bigger question is why we didn't address G in this class but I guess they felt well enough about the guys we have...I hope they're right.

I think the team looked ahead to next year and saw the pass rush talent which should be available and figured it's better to wait, see what the guys we have can do with a hopefully improved secondary behind them and an offense which can create a lot more obvious passing situations for the defense as other teams have to keep up with Jimmy and Kyle's offense.

I thought moving up for Pettis wasn't needed but with GB being interested in him it also makes it easier to take. GB's GM said Jackson was their A guy but I doubt he'd admit if Pettis was their A guy that Jackson was B. Pretty much every GM gets the guy they wanted the whole time but the fact that there was a chance GB could've taken him...i'm good with the trade up. He gives us a WR to develop and provide better depth right now and someone who can be a talented WR in this offense and also someone who can help big in special teams.

I find that once you step back and realize those things and trust Kyle when it comes to offensive players the draft is much better.

They all have to go prove their worth and our day 3 guys outside of Reed have a tough road ahead of them to make the roster or recover from serious injuries but we took a lot of athletic players who have great character and work hard. You roll the dice on those guys.

Let's all hope it works out.

Where was the elation on Saleh's face?
Let's be honest drafts where you take OT in the top 10 who isn't described as a can't miss product and future HOF OT isn't sexy.

It certainly wasn't a pick I was pleased with at the time. Not sure I'm exactly thrilled with it now but considering the Brown situation and the fact that Oakland would've taken him at #10 if we didn't take him makes that pick MUCH easier to take.

We paid Jimmy a lot of money. We need to ensure he's not out there with garbage and trying to pull magic out of a hat again. McGlinchey made sense knowing what we know now and honestly the only guys I would've really been excited by at that point with Ward and Roquan off the board would've been Landry...who we saw drop all the way down to 41 so he would've been a giant reach knowing what we know now. So then I ask myself would adding Minkah or Derwin make us a better team? I don't think so. I like our safeties and I'm not sold on Minkah being a great corner. If Brown fell on his face this year is that what we want? Much rather ensure our OL is as strong as possible for Jimmy as we'll likely have to have a lot of shootouts.

If anything my bigger question is why we didn't address G in this class but I guess they felt well enough about the guys we have...I hope they're right.

I think the team looked ahead to next year and saw the pass rush talent which should be available and figured it's better to wait, see what the guys we have can do with a hopefully improved secondary behind them and an offense which can create a lot more obvious passing situations for the defense as other teams have to keep up with Jimmy and Kyle's offense.

I thought moving up for Pettis wasn't needed but with GB being interested in him it also makes it easier to take. GB's GM said Jackson was their A guy but I doubt he'd admit if Pettis was their A guy that Jackson was B. Pretty much every GM gets the guy they wanted the whole time but the fact that there was a chance GB could've taken him...i'm good with the trade up. He gives us a WR to develop and provide better depth right now and someone who can be a talented WR in this offense and also someone who can help big in special teams.

I find that once you step back and realize those things and trust Kyle when it comes to offensive players the draft is much better.

They all have to go prove their worth and our day 3 guys outside of Reed have a tough road ahead of them to make the roster or recover from serious injuries but we took a lot of athletic players who have great character and work hard. You roll the dice on those guys.

Let's all hope it works out.

Yeah I wasn't thrilled with the pick at first, but hearing how out of shape Brown showed up in along with hearing more about McGlinchey (and his attitude and how he lives and breathes football) I'm good with it. Landry was the guy but I had no idea about the red flags. That is a bummer.

Instead of focusing on edge the went hard for DBs in the draft along with UDFA...both are important positions and if we come away with a couple great DBs for the long term, I will be happy.

gotta wait and see, honestly this draft overall wasn't a very good one same with the FA class. Not sure who was available in the 2nd at guard? IMO I'm good with our current guys

End of the day I think we got

The top OT
Top 5 WR in this class
Top 5 WILL LBer in this class
And a s**t ton of DBs that will create a very good group.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 1, 2018 at 2:07 PM ]

No one ever taught Saleh grown men tuck in their shirts at the office??

Came in here to make a positive post Fred Warner aside from McGlinchey was by far my favorite pick. This guy should have been a 2nd rounder, can't wait to see him play.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Right? Dude had his head down the whole time and seemed straight business on the phone. Not saying he wasn't excited but nothing in that video indicated what the poster is talking about here.
I like the pick...his pass coverage skills are much-needed in the LB corps. He seems to be pretty stoked to be a Niner and that's always a good thing. Look forward to seeing him on the field and help solidify the LB group.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Right? Dude had his head down the whole time and seemed straight business on the phone. Not saying he wasn't excited but nothing in that video indicated what the poster is talking about here.

That's about as excited as Saleh gets right there

• LVJay
  • Veteran

His dome, bro! It's glowing more than usual
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
So I guess the emphasis on steed only applies to the offense. I'm good with the pick, but I think Shaquem Griffin would have been a better pick.

Yeah no idea what he's talking about

I think he meant speed. Warner didn't test well at the combine. He put up Brock Coyle numbers.

According to his SPARQ scores he was 10th overall in this class in athletic ability (out of 152 off-ball LBers) and is the the 80.4 percentile among all NFL LBers

Ok. He still put up Coyle numbers.

Fred Warner

Height: 6'3
Weight: 236
40 Yrd Dash: 4.64
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.28
3-Cone Drill: 6.90

Brock Coyle

Height: 6'1
Weight: 235
40 Yrd Dash: 4.60
20 Yrd Dash: 2.69
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 25
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 09'07"
3-Cone Drill: 6.74
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Fred Warner

Brock Coyle

"BOTTOM LINE Followed up a solid NFLPA Collegiate All-Star game performance with an outstanding pro day workout."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brock-coyle?id=2549949

Both tested very well athletically.
Originally posted by Jiks:
Dislike everything about BYU except this pick. Dudes a beast.

What is wrong with BYU?
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
So I guess the emphasis on steed only applies to the offense. I'm good with the pick, but I think Shaquem Griffin would have been a better pick.

Yeah no idea what he's talking about

I think he meant speed. Warner didn't test well at the combine. He put up Brock Coyle numbers.

According to his SPARQ scores he was 10th overall in this class in athletic ability (out of 152 off-ball LBers) and is the the 80.4 percentile among all NFL LBers

Fred Warner

Brock Coyle

Those are very good numbers for an off-ball LBer don't know what to tell ya. There's a reason Coyle ended up in Seattle (it was because of his athletic ability) all people see is a white LBer, so he can't be athletic lol. His instincts, ability to disengage from blocks, shoot into the gaps, and his coverage ability is far better than Coyle's.

If Foster gets his life together we will have a solid group of LBers for yrs.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 2, 2018 at 4:51 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone