LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jiks:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Jesus f**k. How many times does it need to be said? Did y'all actually watch the broadcast??? He pumped fake or maybe was even about to throw and almost lost the ball in the process. It slipped out his hand and this started the whole washing machine spin cycle routine. Yes this is on Jimmy but no it wasn't for nothing.

Lol who's fault is this?

I actually like Jimmy most of the time but to sit and act like mistakes like this haven't been part of his game since he got here is just kidding yourself.

Did you read the rest of my post??? I literally said it's jimmy's fault... Great reading comprehension.
Big game coming from Dante this week. He will get 2 targets
  • Jiks
Jesus f**k. How many times does it need to be said? Did y'all actually watch the broadcast??? He pumped fake or maybe was even about to throw and almost lost the ball in the process. It slipped out his hand and this started the whole washing machine spin cycle routine. Yes this is on Jimmy but no it wasn't for nothing.

Lol who's fault is this?

I actually like Jimmy most of the time but to sit and act like mistakes like this haven't been part of his game since he got here is just kidding yourself.

Did you read the rest of my post??? I literally said it's jimmy's fault... Great reading comprehension.
Lol then why are you arguing?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Which one will he catch, will he even try to catch them??
Originally posted by Buchy:
Just leaving this here:

[Tweet https://twitter.com/NFLDraftVideos/status/1306980694812430341]

Not surprising. I have a feeling our WRs are open more than people act like. The QB is just. I don't even know at this point. Doo doo
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Just leaving this here:

[Tweet https://twitter.com/NFLDraftVideos/status/1306980694812430341]

Inexcusable. Love me some Jimmy but he was absolutely terrible. Gotta give these guys a game or 2 though.

Jimmy definitely was not sharp at all to say the least but the issue with these key-in looks at one receiver is they DO NOT take into account the play call or the play design and who the primary and secondary receivers are within the play. Thl talked about the difference of running a route through zone vs. man too. Basically, every play needs to be taken into full context but that's hard on a forum to do. We'd need some expertise like thl/JD/Niners816 who can ID each play first and go from there.

It's really frustrating to see how many deep shots we potentially missed. Thl pointed out at least two plays where Jimmy was horribly wrong in his presnap read based on the coverage. No good answer really as to how you mess that up -- the only options are a) shockingly bad read, or b) willful neglect.

No fan would be happy with either answer.

Oh, I'm certainly not denying that. I'm just saying before fans say, "X was open" we first must understand the play design and who the primary and secondary are.

Here's an example:

On the hi-lo design on 4th down, Bourne instantly raises his hand as if open (he wasn't) but the design was to draw attention to Bourne to get Taylor open underneath his clearing route, Kittle was 3 and Pettis was 4. JG's job was to hit the primary if open and he was. But novice fans on Twitter like Akash look from a bird's eye and see Pettis open at some point and assume JG s/h gone there.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 20, 2020 at 9:23 AM ]

Lol who's fault is this?

Lol then why are you arguing?

Because the point is that he didn't just not see 3 open receivers. He saw the first one and the ball slipped out as he went to throw it. Everything after that point was awkward attempts to avoid the pass rush. The play failed because JG had a miscue (the near fumble), but it didn't fail because of a lack of seeing open receivers.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 20, 2020 at 9:11 AM ]
I'm surprised nobody caught this, but last week against Arizona when McKinnon had a long 30 yard run and was stopped at the 1 yard line...Pettis was right there to block for Jet at the goal line and he made no contact. It was a gimmie TD. All he had to do was get in the way or lay a finger on the last defender left. Didn't happen and as we all know got stuffed on 4th and goal. I'm a supporter of his but damn that was the most disgusting, softest play I've seen from a 49er in my entire life.
Originally posted by Canadian49:
I'm surprised nobody caught this, but last week against Arizona when McKinnon had a long 30 yard run and was stopped at the 1 yard line...Pettis was right there to block for Jet at the goal line and he made no contact. It was a gimmie TD. All he had to do was get in the way or lay a finger on the last defender left. Didn't happen and as we all know got stuffed on 4th and goal. I'm a supporter of his but damn that was the most disgusting, softest play I've seen from a 49er in my entire life.

You're day late and a dollar short; it was discussed and pointed out. ad nauseum. But hey, don't let that stop you from joining in on a good old bashing session.
By the way did anyone see Trent Taylor's blocking effort on the Reed TD? It was virtually identical (even though Reed got the TD anyway}. But we're talking style points here, so Trent Taylor is a disgusting soft player also.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Canadian49:

You're day late and a dollar short; it was discussed and pointed out. ad nauseum. But hey, don't let that stop you from joining in on a good old bashing session.
By the way did anyone see Trent Taylor's blocking effort on the Reed TD? It was virtually identical (even though Reed got the TD anyway}. But we're talking style points here, so Trent Taylor is a disgusting soft player also.

What does Taylor's softness have to do with pettis's softness? This whole team is soft. I'm tired of it.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
the jet and taylor can do this job on special teams.. just trade him for someone. anyone. jackson from green bay. a bonnet monkey from the poor sisters of mary
At this point, Pettis is probably just going to remain a reserve and hope he can make some plays in the PR game. He's not getting snaps over Deebo, KB, Sanu, or Aiyuk. Or Taylor too, and that's one I don't agree with at all. He is probably the worst blocker on the team, has the worst catch radius, is slower, and overall, I honestly don't see him as legitimately better than Pettis at this point.

TT is Jimmy's favorite, but with Mullens starting short term, I'd rather give his snaps to Pettis who not only seems to have way better chemistry with Nick, but quite frankly, I feel offers more on the field than Trent does. Deep down, I know that's a pipe dream. Ultimately, when James is healthy, I would not be shocked to see Pettis traded at some point.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 21, 2020 at 8:31 AM ]
At this point, Pettis is probably just going to remain a reserve and hope he can make some plays in the PR game. He's not getting snaps over Deebo, KB, Sanu, or Aiyuk. Or Taylor too, and that's one I don't agree with at all. He is probably the worst blocker on the team, has the worst catch radius, is slower, and overall, I honestly don't see him as legitimately better than Pettis at this point.

TT is Jimmy's favorite, but with Mullens starting short term, I'd rather give his snaps to Pettis who not only seems to have way better chemistry with Nick, but quite frankly, I feel offers more on the field than Trent does. Deep down, I know that's a pipe dream. Ultimately, when James is healthy, I would not be shocked to see Pettis traded at some point.

With Sanu here now, I agree with you. Pettis' window is closing fast. His only real chance once Deebo returns is as a PR/KR man.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

He caught 2 fair catches on returns (had room to run but didn't). Does that count ?
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

With Sanu here now, I agree with you. Pettis' window is closing fast. His only real chance once Deebo returns is as a PR/KR man.

If we trade anyone, I'd rather trade Trent Taylor. He's not under contract for next year, and I don't think we should re-sign him. If we trade him now, maybe we can get a 2021 pick instead of having to wait for a 2022 comp pick if he walks.
Share 49ersWebzone