There are 203 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Awake
Originally posted by fan49:
http://bleacherreport.com/post/san-francisco-49ers/42cb086c-64f5-4b11-85d6-c64d0828377d

This is a perfect description of why he was drafted. And one thing I pointed out earlier is maybe one of the reasons he didn't get drafted in the first round was his quarterback. If he would have been on the team with one of the better quarterbacks I'm pretty sure he would have gone in the first round. And he said he's run a 4-3. And if you participated in the combine and did that no doubt about it he'd be a first-round pick

I agree completely. When it comes to WRs I'll trust Kyle everyday of the week. This dude has high football IQ, quick, great feet, and can run all the routes.

I LOVE the pick.
This pick was confusing to a lot of people including me but from what I'm hearing is that this guy is potentially a beast but he just had a not so good QB?
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I don't think that Rascal realizes what Kyle Shanahan wants in a receiver. He appreciates guys that get open really quick and that can get a lot of y a c. Buy out running everybody and being elusive.

This.

It's not like because a wideout is 6'4 he is automatically a RZ beast.

Antonio Brown is 5'10 and has 59 career TD's.

Give me an explosive route runner all day over a 6'5 plodder.

Exactly. Brown, Hilton, Baldwin, OBJ, Hopkins, Hill, Cooks, all 6'1 or less. All elite WRs.
Th
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Love this pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, a team that knows how to pick skill players for the QB. Most teams pick talent but they don't consider the strength of the QB. Jimmy G loves the guys who can quickly shake the defender. Oh man, between Trent Taylor, Kittle and the route running ability of Garcon, and now add Pettis!!!!!

s**t going to get real for nickelbacks and linebackers because all of these guys can easily shake their defenders.

Everyone will be open in the tighter windows.

Now throw in Goodwin for the roof and Jet for the outlets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy s**t!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it gives Kyle more options to play with since you can line Pettis up inside or outside and has the ability to beat defensive backs vertically. With a QB like Garoppolo throwing the football, he's going to be a pain in the ass to cover.

This right here. Whenever I'd watch Pettis highlights he struck me as kind of awkward. Not necessarily in a bad way though. It's his feet. He has very quick, active feet that look disproportionate to his upper body if that makes any f**kin sense. It deceives the defender and lulls them so to speak and I think will help him get that separation Shanahan covets from his wideouts.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by Rascal:
So, big WRs can't get open?

Weren't Julio Jones (6'3" 220 lbs) and Mohamed Sanu (6'2" 210 lbs) Kyle Shanahan's WRs??

Julio Jones is a special top 5 talent. Shanahan wouldn't have drafted Sanu.

So, there you go, Julio Jones proves that you don't need to be skin and bones in order to get open and to play for Kyle Shanahan.

Or are you saying unless you are a top 5 talent, no big physical WRs can meet Shanahan's requirements?

You don't think Shanahan would take the Julio Jones/Mohamed Sanu WR tandem over any of our WR combos?

I don't know about you, I would take Julio Jones and Sanu over any of our WRs any day!! If you have two equally skilled WRs, surely you would take the bigger guy right? Give you an example, if I can pick between Julio Jones or OBJ, I would take Julio Jones any day and is not even close!!
Great pick. This guy has a chance to a major contributor from the get go. We definitely upgraded the WR position corp.

Garcon
Goodwin
Pettis
Bourne
Taylor

No bad at all
OK so I watched the news conference... Kyle covets him because he has the versatility to play x, z, slot, and PR well, but apparently he does nothing exceptional !! there were other quality players on the board that could have done more for us on D IMO, so I am neutral on this pick for now and giving Kyle the benefit of the doubt and a we'll see what happens' outlook to reserve final judgemeent... give it a C grade for now
So, there you go, Julio Jones proves that you don't need to be skin and bones in order to get open and to play for Kyle Shanahan.

Great, now go find another Julio Jones who has the size and strength of a large receiver but the route running and quickness of a much smaller one. Let Kyle know when you do.
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Great pick. This guy has a chance to a major contributor from the get go. We definitely upgraded the WR position corp.

Garcon
Goodwin
Pettis
Bourne
Taylor

No bad at all

All guys that know how to separate and get open. Good mix of speed and quickness to attack all over the field.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
OK so I watched the news conference... Kyle covets him because he has the versatility to play x, z, slot, and PR well, but apparently he does nothing exceptional !! there were other quality players on the board that could have done more for us on D IMO, so I am neutral on this pick for now and giving Kyle the benefit of the doubt and a we'll see what happens' outlook to reserve final judgemeent... give it a C grade for now

They probably see him as the long term X. At least I hope so. Since Garcon is 31.

otherwise this is a huge waste.

I can see him just on PR/KR duty in his first year.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Great, now go find another Julio Jones who has the size and strength of a large receiver but the route running and quickness of a much smaller one. Let Kyle know when you do.

LOL. You act like all big WRs are slow as a tortoise.

I mean if you prefer to pick a guy with the physique of a refugee, then be it. LOL.

I am of the belief size does matter in football and the NFL. But, hey, I guess I must be the only guy in the universe who thinks that.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I don't think that Rascal realizes what Kyle Shanahan wants in a receiver. He appreciates guys that get open really quick and that can get a lot of y a c. Buy out running everybody and being elusive.

This.

It's not like because a wideout is 6'4 he is automatically a RZ beast.

Antonio Brown is 5'10 and has 59 career TD's.

Give me an explosive route runner all day over a 6'5 plodder.

Exactly. Brown, Hilton, Baldwin, OBJ, Hopkins, Hill, Cooks, all 6'1 or less. All elite WRs.

You're 100 percent right. But I wanna point out Hopkins is a very different 6"1 than the rest. He's strong as f**k . 214 at the combine. The way he holds the ball when he runs, and still nobody could knock it out his hands.
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Apr 27, 2018 at 8:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

They probably see him as the long term X. At least I hope so. Since Garcon is 31.

otherwise this is a huge waste.

I can see him just on PR/KR duty in his first year.

He better be doing more than just ST duties. You don't move up that high to sit the kid.

LOL. You act like all big WRs are slow as a tortoise.

I mean if you prefer to pick a guy with the physique of a refugee, then be it. LOL.

I am of the belief size does matter in football and the NFL. But, hey, I guess I must be the only guy in the universe who thinks that.

Rascal. This is the second year and you STILL don't know how our offense is run? Lol
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
[ Edited by LVJay on Apr 27, 2018 at 9:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone