LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
2nd one is on Pettis I'd say for not being in the right spot at the right time. The first was horrendously blocked. Third just great contain by the Seattle D. Not much he could do on those.

I thought all three plays were poorly blocked. Even the one where there was a fumble, #57 came in unblocked.
Conclusion: no one wants to block for Pettis.
Originally posted by thl408:
2nd one is on Pettis I'd say for not being in the right spot at the right time. The first was horrendously blocked. Third just great contain by the Seattle D. Not much he could do on those.

I thought all three plays were poorly blocked. Even the one where there was a fumble, #57 came in unblocked.

Actually, probably right. Someone unblocked on every play lol.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

good one. pettis is the kind of guy you want to invite to a party if you want everyone to have a bad time
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
We are a run first team. And when we usually throw it it's short passes to TE's and KB. That's about it. Pettis would do better in a system that airs it out like SEA, NO, GB, DET, KC or ATL.

Thank you for bringing that up. It's really a strong fact that if you're not the #1 or #2 WR, you really don't get that many snaps on this team because of how much we run 21 personnel. The #3 is pretty much done on rotation and with Taylor/Sanu being the top slot guys, someone like Pettis isn't going to see the field much in any capacity because he's just a depth utility guy.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 29, 2020 at 10:46 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by S41MAN:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i feel, the coaches could care less where he ends up.. i know i could give a flip if seattle picks him up. i am not scared of what pettis may do if he is not with us. how this guy is so over valued by some on this board is beyond me

Why he is still on the team is beyond me. If they thought he was too soft for the NFL or useless they would have cut him by now. He doesn't fit in here, just move on.
i get it,, i have no answers for that... i could be really wrong and thats fine.. but i would be stunned if the reason they are holding onto him is cuz he will move onto seattle and will do great things there.. they hold onto people they trade up for like cj and pettis who clearly are not worth it... esp pettis. i do not get it
Maybe they still are holding on to him is bc he is a punt returner or backup in this case? That might hold value and explain why he is on the team for now.
We are a run first team. And when we usually throw it it's short passes to TE's and KB. That's about it. Pettis would do better in a system that airs it out like SEA, NO, GB, DET, KC or ATL.

Thank you for bringing that up. It's really a strong fact that if you're not the #1 or #2 WR, you really don't get that many snaps on this team because of how much we run 21 personnel. The #3 is pretty much done on rotation and with Taylor/Sanu being the top slot guys, someone like Pettis isn't going to see the field much in any capacity because he's just a depth utility guy.

Exactly man, think aboiut how we use Deebo and Aiyuk, half of it is reverse and misdirection type throws and runs.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I remember someone saying Emmanuel Sanders wanting to go to a pass first team, what did he show with his only start, 1 rec with 18 yards.

And that's with Drew f**king Brees as your QB. WTF!!!

Yep and if we resigned Sanders, we probably wouldn't have drafted Aiyuk.
At this point until Pettis gets a legit chance in games there isnt much to say. Shanahans done with him it appears so even though I still believe he can contribute its useless to debate. As others have said we might as well trade him or cut him. Why hold him hostage
Originally posted by cciowa:

good one. pettis is the kind of guy you want to invite to a party if you want everyone to have a bad time

Lol

How many lives does he have left?
Yep and if we resigned Sanders, we probably wouldn't have drafted Aiyuk.

I don't believe that. Aiyuk is the kind of receiver KS covets. Sanders cannot play Aiyuk's game. Those reverses. RB toughness.
Sanders is a better Bourne.
Originally posted by hubbyt:
At this point until Pettis gets a legit chance in games there isnt much to say. Shanahans done with him it appears so even though I still believe he can contribute its useless to debate. As others have said we might as well trade him or cut him. Why hold him hostage

They're not holding him hostage. They need qualified receivers to populate the last three WR spots on the roster. Those guys are not going to get much action, but they still fill a need in case of injury or otherwise. if the passing game evolves, for instance.
The 9ers game has to develop to the point where you need a WR with Pettis' talents, more of the longer pass type game. I believe that KS would like to develop that aspect of his repertoire, but he hasn't had the opportunity or the need to so far. His a very successful running and short, quick pass YAC game. If opposing defenses figure out how to contain that, KS will need to explore other options. Defenses have not yet successfully corralled the 9ers current style of play. They're cheating on defense and not respecting the long pass possibility. A situation ripe for exploitation.
JG also has to return and show that is something that he can develop. He hasn't been asked to do it yet. Without practice, that aspect of the 9er game has been almost non-existent.
In his rookie season with Mullens throwing him the ball, Pettis showed talent playing that style.

This is b******t. Shanahan would absolutely find ways to get a playmaker involved and work it into the scheme. He's far too good a coach to have a really talented player just sit on the bench for depth.

Plus the WR position is wide open with no Deebo and no Sanders. Anyone could have jumped up to claim the #1 spot. Pettis not being able to surpass an undrafted, slow footed Kendrick Bourne says all you need to know about Dante Pettis.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

This is b******t. Shanahan would absolutely find ways to get a playmaker involved and work it into the scheme. He's far too good a coach to have a really talented player just sit on the bench for depth.

Plus the WR position is wide open with no Deebo and no Sanders. Anyone could have jumped up to claim the #1 spot. Pettis not being able to surpass an undrafted, slow footed Kendrick Bourne says all you need to know about Dante Pettis.

Exactly my point, Pettis is a bottom of the roster utility depth player. At best a #4, but probably 5/6. It's a double-whammy for Pettis. It's part of the same reason Richie James didn't get many snaps. He clearly is talented, but he's so low in the rotation, when you combine that with the fact that our system isn't air-it-out heavy like some teams, he's going to get even less playing time. Barring injuries, he's unlikely to see enough snaps to earn anything back.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 29, 2020 at 2:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone