There are 175 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Meh that first TD you're talking about I'm not putting full blame on him...that's a very hard catch to make for any WR

That block was totally on him, if you can't make those blocks you're not gonna play in Kyle's offense

The throw looks way too late too me. Stop the frame at the 4 second mark, as Pettis comes into the shot he is wide open by himself. If the ball arrived then it would have been an easy catch.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Pettis is not the worst player in the world. He's just not trusted and never will be by Jimmy Garoppolo. For whatever reason, they don't mesh. Sanders, Deebo, Bourne, Aiyuk, Kittle, etc. they just click. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before JG clicks with McKinnon, Reed and Taylor again. But unfortunately, Pettis won't be one of those guys.

It's sad because it's a two-way street. You can't establish or re-establish trust if you never give him any more chances. TO dropped everything under the sun in that 1998 playoff game against Green Bay, but you know what, the legend that is Steve Young gave TO a chance to make a play when it mattered most and he delivered.

If Jimmy wants to be a great QB, he can't just throw his non-favorite guys like Pettis turd-covered bones every now and then.

It is sad actually but that's not unusual either. Some guys just have that chemistry. Look at Emmanuel Sanders the SECOND he showed up. Ridiculous trust between those two right out of the gate. Like big time trust throws and catches.

This goes beyond that, honestly. We're not even talking about chemistry at this point -- and this is @fan49 as well -- if Jimmy can't make the correct reads and appropriate throws to the open man, we have a real problem. You play this game to win, so you make the plays that are there to be made. I don't give a crap if Jimmy hates Pettis' guts, and neither should the rest of the 52 guys on this team, because if winning is the goal, there is no excuse for the number of misses Jimmy had on Sunday, whether that was to Pettis or any other open guy on a given play,
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Meh that first TD you're talking about I'm not putting full blame on him...that's a very hard catch to make for any WR

That block was totally on him, if you can't make those blocks you're not gonna play in Kyle's offense

The throw looks way too late too me. Stop the frame at the 4 second mark, as Pettis comes into the shot he is wide open by himself. If the ball arrived then it would have been an easy catch.

Pause at 5 seconds and then drag frame by frame. By the time its in line with Pettis it's 7 feet over his head lol. Wasn't close at all.
When Jimmy plays bad he plays VERY bad. Same issues with missing open guys and making the wrong reads happened in the Super Bowl and Pettis wasnt even on the field. Jimmy has to get better period. Pettis obviously needs to get better too but he is at the mercy of his QB who hasnt gotten it done the last few times we've seen him play.

Pause at 5 seconds and then drag frame by frame. By the time its in line with Pettis it's 7 feet over his head lol. Wasn't close at all.

It was a difficult throw and catch to make IMO. I'm not really mad at anyone there.

The ball bounced directly under his outstretched hands. Watch the shadow.

One things clear watching it frame by frame.... Pettis had zero intentions of diving for that ball. Worse passes have been caught.

Cut this dude

Also, I'm not suggesting he should have caught it, in suggesting that if I'm in his shoes (known as an underachiever) I'm diving for that GD ball.
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Sep 17, 2020 at 12:28 PM ]
I can't believe this thread is over 900 pages lol!

He's definitely getting cut/traded/whatever when the Niners have healthy bodies at receiver.

I break this down in the video, it's part of the design. He's running a post with a curl on the otyer side vs C4. The play design works.

I mean...I guess. Going frame by frame it actually looks way closer then 7 feet. Unless theres another angle, Im just gonna go with the idea that everyone is exaggerating just a bit. Jimmy had a bad game. Pettis had a bad game.
Originally posted by hubbyt:
When Jimmy plays bad he plays VERY bad. Same issues with missing open guys and making the wrong reads happened in the Super Bowl and Pettis wasnt even on the field. Jimmy has to get better period. Pettis obviously needs to get better too but he is at the mercy of his QB who hasnt gotten it done the last few times we've seen him play.

259 yards 2 TD 0 INT is, "VERY bad"?

• thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

I break this down in the video, it's part of the design. He's running a post with a curl on the otyer side vs C4. The play design works.

The play design was good. The backside CB does a good job of gaining depth to be in position to contest the throw, but it is a nifty play design.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
The ball bounced directly under his outstretched hands. Watch the shadow.

One things clear watching it frame by frame.... Pettis had zero intentions of diving for that ball. Worse passes have been caught.

Cut this dude

Also, I'm not suggesting he should have caught it, in suggesting that if I'm in his shoes (known as an underachiever) I'm diving for that GD ball.

Remember Juice's diving catch against the Steelers last year? He got hit directly in the head and still came down with it.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
259 yards 2 TD 0 INT is, "VERY bad"?

I mean 76 yards came on a easy Mostert slant...jimmy did change the play-call at the LOS so that's a positive.

Let's just say Jimmy left A LOT meat on the bone with this game
Originally posted by hubbyt:

Lol. Dumb take. Whos ass was riding the bench most of last season? And follow up to that, whos fault was it that he was riding the bench?

Jimmy has bad games as do all QBs. Its been a f**ked up offseason with no preseason to get some real game time action. With that said, how do people keep talking about giving Pettis chances but want to completely s**t on Jimmy? Jimmy has single handled won us games. Remind me what Pettis has done?
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Lol. Dumb take. Whos ass was riding the bench most of last season? And follow up to that, whos fault was it that he was riding the bench?

Jimmy has bad games as do all QBs. Its been a f**ked up offseason with no preseason to get some real game time action. With that said, how do people keep talking about giving Pettis chances but want to completely s**t on Jimmy? Jimmy has single handled won us games. Remind me what Pettis has done?

He won us Pitt game last yr...poor read by Jimmy throwing into double coverage and Pettis caught game winning TD.

Also why is this Jimmy vs Pettis lol? Pettis should be a depth WR nothing more...Jimmy is our highest paid player and plays the most important position in sports. He should be making players around him better, not needing players to make him better IMO.

A lot of blame to go around...McG was not good. Defense got gased (some of Saleh's play-calls a bit questionable vs AZ). Kyle could have called a better game. play-makers didn't make a ton of plays. Blocked punt etc....and without question our most important player played awful.
Share 49ersWebzone