• Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Can someone send me the link to Kyle saying Pettis showed up out of shape? Been searching and cant find it. Thx.

Yeah, I never remember him being out of shape.

I searched for an article for about 10 minutes early and came up empty. For something that so many people are posting as fact, it shouldnt be as difficult to find as it has been.

Anyone?

If anything he was too light.

I think too light can also be considered "out of shape" He wasn't fat or slow, but he wasn't very strong during the preseason.

I also think Pettis' real issue was consistency....coach even talked about it last yr.

Shanahan was asked on Sunday why Pettis remained in Saturday night's game into the fourth quarter when other starters were out of the contest earlier.

"I believe he needed to be," Shanahan said, via Matt Barrows of TheAthletic.com. "He's still trying to earn a role on this team and still is showing what he's capable of doing consistently."

Shanahan said Pettis can be "our No. 1 receiver, our No. 2 receiver, our slot receiver, or just a role receiver" and that he could even be the best player on the team, but he hasn't been consistent enough to let coaches know where he belongs.

"I have been hard on Dante," Shanahan said, via the San Francisco Chronicle. "But if anyone knows me, I am the hardest on people that I believe in. And I do believe in him a lot. And I'm always going to be probably a little disappointed because I think he can be very good. And it's important to our team that he is."

So nothing about being out of shape then? Just curious why there are tons of people running with that as if it was fact.

I think it was from beat writers that were watching...not necessarily from the coach.

I will say he looks bigger this yr compared to last yr.

Yeah, you can tell he's hit the weights.
Someone being bigger and in better shape now does not mean the person wasnt in shape before. I am in substantially better shape now than I was a year ago, but was not out of shape a year ago.
Can someone send me the link to Kyle saying Pettis showed up out of shape? Been searching and cant find it. Thx.

I searched for an article for about 10 minutes early and came up empty. For something that so many people are posting as fact, it shouldnt be as difficult to find as it has been.

Anyone?

I think too light can also be considered "out of shape" He wasn't fat or slow, but he wasn't very strong during the preseason.

I also think Pettis' real issue was consistency....coach even talked about it last yr.

Shanahan was asked on Sunday why Pettis remained in Saturday night's game into the fourth quarter when other starters were out of the contest earlier.

"I believe he needed to be," Shanahan said, via Matt Barrows of TheAthletic.com. "He's still trying to earn a role on this team and still is showing what he's capable of doing consistently."

Shanahan said Pettis can be "our No. 1 receiver, our No. 2 receiver, our slot receiver, or just a role receiver" and that he could even be the best player on the team, but he hasn't been consistent enough to let coaches know where he belongs.

"I have been hard on Dante," Shanahan said, via the San Francisco Chronicle. "But if anyone knows me, I am the hardest on people that I believe in. And I do believe in him a lot. And I'm always going to be probably a little disappointed because I think he can be very good. And it's important to our team that he is."

And to me, that "consistency" I think points to the lack of focus and preparation. If you're making mental errors or physically losing one on ones because you didn't prepare yourself in that area, that speaks to a failure in putting in the necessary work to succeed. Shanahan expected Pettis to have advanced physically, to show more urgency at the catch point, and to be on top of running routes exactly like he asked, the right way, every single time. Pettis needed to pound on the details with extreme repetition to the point where everything became second nature, but you could tell that wasn't the case last year.

It wasn't any one thing for Pettis that he kept messing up on, and that was the biggest evidence that he came into the year worse than the year before. You can tell the difference between an outlier mistakes (see: KB last year) versus true inconsistency.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 18, 2020 at 12:56 PM ]
Someone being bigger and in better shape now does not mean the person wasnt in shape before. I am in substantially better shape now than I was a year ago, but was not out of shape a year ago.

You playing in the NFL though? I wouldn't say I'm out of shape either, BUT I'm not beating Jalen Ramsey off the LOS. I'm not gonna be able to take a Jamal Adams shot in the middle of the field on a slant lol.

Kid needed to get stronger. We all saw him getting pushed around and not really being able to win those contested catches. These are all alphas running around hitting each other.
Got the talent. Inconsistent. Undependable. No intensity work ethics.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

You playing in the NFL though? I wouldn't say I'm out of shape either, BUT I'm not beating Jalen Ramsey off the LOS. I'm not gonna be able to take a Jamal Adams shot in the middle of the field on a slant lol.

Kid needed to get stronger. We all saw him getting pushed around and not really being able to win those contested catches. These are all alphas running around hitting each other.

Without a doubt - he needs to get stronger. Maybe, he's finally starting to apply himself.

Point is, saying he looks to be bigger and in better shape is not proof that he wasnt in good shape before.
  • thl408
Welp I guess I wasn't the only one that noticed Pettis was looking better lol

meow meow
Point is, saying he looks to be bigger and in better shape is not proof that he wasnt in good shape before.

ahh yes it is, if we're talking about football...He was skinny coming into the league. He needed to add some muscle to that frame. Kid was getting pushed off his routes more than you'd like to see, he couldn't make contested catches. He wasn't reliable & Jimmy stopped looking his way, Pettis got benched because of it.

Dude was a healthy scratch from the SB, I'm sure that hit home. He's not gonna get by on just athletic ability like he did in college. Everyone is athletic now.

Good on him to take it a little more serious. I'm not gonna hold my breath on it. I also didn't think the kid should have been cut after two seasons like others in here were saying.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah. Unfortunately for him, this WCO requires guys to be able to do everything from in routes to slants to 9's to jet sweeps to blocking down on LB's. His "shake" was the only check box in this system for fit.

Nah, not if we're looking at film from college. He was pretty electric with the ball in his hands with sweeps and stuff. He's also shown he's far from bad at running slants. For the most part he was never horrible at blocking. Had great hands at Washington too.

You can look at tons of WRs that kyle has had that don't check off being good at all the stuff you mentioned...everyone had a role though. My issue is he was simply overdrafted, Kyle thought he could do all of it. If Pettis was a day 3 pick people wouldn't be this upset.

In reality it was some bad scouting.

He was a good blocker in college, and has been good in that area in the NFL too. He "can" do a lot of things, he has the ability, but he slacked off last year. He was behind, and every mistake became even more magnified and put him deeper and deeper in the dog house with even less opportunities to climb out of the hole he put himself in.

You see routes like this in college -- he dips and immediately gets off press -- you recall all the return ability he had, and you wonder where all that was last year?

Last year the guy was just coasting, he was unprepared, and he showed he was basically the type who CAN'T just "turn it on" after letting himself slip behind. Does he lack confidence? Ambition? I don't know. He's the Witherspoon of WRs. Once he gets on a bad streak, it's just downhill from there. I want him to succeed, because it helps us a ton. We'll see what happens this year when he's on the field. This is his last chance to prove he belongs here.

No need to go back to college to find examples of him shaking CBs. He can do it in the NFL.

breaking ankles

breaking shoulders?

Exactly. He did it in college, he did it in year one against NFL talent. Outside of injury, (and I don't think there's evidence there was anything significant going on in that area last year) there's not really any excuse for him not to perform last year.

I have a hard time buying that the change from Mullens to Jimmy G alone was enough to make Pettis suck when Deebo and Sanders had no trouble working with him despite no prior history with Jimmy G. Pettis was a guy Mullens trusted. He has the tools to be a trusted WR for Jimmy if he can be the player Shanahan expected him to be last year.

The quotes were plain as day. In the middle of the season last year, Shanahan said very simply (paraphrasing): "Dante didn't meet my expectation in training camp. I expect him to be at a certain level at this point, and he isn't there." In other words, Dante didn't make any strides on what they asked him to work on.

To be honest, I think not only did Dante slack off, I also don't think he responds well to the type of negative pressure Shanahan put on him, and my honest take is that pretty well shot his confidence or his focus, or both. Some writers oddly enough said that Shanahan mismanaged the situation, indicating he could've taken a more Harbaugh-like "positive reinforcement" approach in dealing with Dante's struggles. I see both sides honestly. To be fair, maybe you COULD make a case for that.

But.. It's no one's fault but Dante's that he came into camp unprepared. I'll concede that MAYBE Shanahan unintentionally made things worse with his approach to Dante's struggles. I get that not every player responds well to "STEP IT UP OR GET EFFING BENCHED". Mentally, Dante strikes me as a guy who will have that linger in the back of his mind and will be thinking "DONT-MESS-UP-DONT-MESS-UP-DONT-MESS-UP" on every play... and to be honest, going back and watching again, that's exactly what it looked like every time he was out there. And when he did screw up, the Witherspoon-like downward spiral in confidence seemed imminent.

You can say, well if you don't have the mental makeup to deal with any kind of coaching, you don't belong in the league. I see the argument, but I see the other side too when you look at the fact that different players thrive in different environments. Not all players are wired the same way, and if Pettis is actually a good player, but responds to different coaching, it would admittedly suck to see him go light it up somewhere else just because we weren't able to recognize how to get the most out of him.

Honestly, his situation is one of the most intriguing to me right now. Very curious what is going to happen with him.

Really a nice thotful piece, OTC. And i completely agree with your final line. It is definitely intriguing, and we best not be so anxious to unload any WR with the luck we have had with them. Sometimes, beggars can't be choosers. Deebo comes back we are golden. Well...he isn't back yet and who knows how long before he can get back to where he was? So maybe let's hang in there a bit longer and just see where Dante is.

There is a lot of truth in OTC's thinking perhaps on Dante's part: "DON'T DROP IT". "DON'T MESS UP". "DON'T MESS UP", That is definitely a good possibility. And i can attest to it personally over a lifetime of competitive sports. It happens. It's like that $10 bet on first hole, gets pressed, then pressed again and on #18 that $10 pressed bet is now 150 bucks, and you are looking at a 6' downhill slider to the right. You know you can make that putt, but it suddenly just got a whole lot harder.

And that's just 150 bucks. Imagine when it is your career, your chance to make it BIG...and it hinges on kyle's Laundry list of WR things....blocking, tackling, getting off blocks, catching....those things. So, "paciencia". We'll know soon enough.

Anyone?

So nothing about being out of shape then? Just curious why there are tons of people running with that as if it was fact.

I think it was from beat writers that were watching...not necessarily from the coach.

I will say he looks bigger this yr compared to last yr.

Yeah I may have accidentally read a Cohn article. Clearly wasn't a good camp last year though, looks like this year is different.
Originally posted by walker807:
Yeah I may have accidentally read a Cohn article. Clearly wasn't a good camp last year though, looks like this year is different.

Crock also said he looked bad. He's pretty objective. Kid didn't come prepared and it showed.

Hopefully he's ready to go, we're gonna need him.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Finally some positive news from this guy
Originally posted by jimrat:
Finally some positive news from this guy

Maybe it took a year to realize what he was doing before wasn't going to work. Then he got passed up by Deebo and probably had a bit of time where he was feeling sorry for himself, but it's apparent he's rededicated himself. And now with the rash of WR injuries, he has his best and last opportunity.

Deebo - WR1 when healthy
Bourne - WR2/3/4 consistent and probably our best RZ threat
Aiyuk - WR1/2/3/4 hard to know where he'll end up, but all things point to good things so far
Taylor - WR 2/3/4/5 as long as he's healthy, he's our best slot
Pettis - WR 3/4/5/6 see above
Jennings - WR 5/6/7 we'll see if he can make a difference, else PS
Nelson/Austin/FA - WR 5/6/7 we'll see what we have, probably nothing
Share 49ersWebzone