There are 374 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Give the KR/PR duties to Pettis - it's probably the only thing he's good at.

I've been advocating for this vs James who is Mr fair catch
we have been told to trust the coaches... you guys think that coach did not already think of this? if they thought he could excel at this. they would have let him do last year. but they opted to put him in the doghouse.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:

I've been advocating for this vs James who is Mr fair catch
travis would have beaten out james for this spot and that is a reason why i felt. unlike others. losing travis is a big negative
Originally posted by tommyncal:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

I don't know if you ever played football but I have. I coach it, and scout. At NO level of football is that statement true. Whenever a QB don't trust one of his WR's enough to throw him the ball when open that speaks volumes about the WR. And when that's the case the coach takes the WR off the field. Period.

Again, in the NFL, a WIDE OPEN receiver should always get a ball thrown his way provided the throw is not difficult and there arent some specific circumstances.

Wide open means hes got open space and no one around him within 5 yards. An example of that is last year against Arizona, when the QB threw Pettis the ball when he was wide open in the endzone. Easy pitch and catch and 6 points.

Just like in basketball, a player who has empty space and a wide open layup, should always take it unless there's some specific circumstance like the team is down 3 points and it's the last 5 seconds of the game.

if receiver is so bad he doesn't belong in the NFL, he should not be even on the field to start with. But if hes on the field and he's wide open in the NFL, the ball should be thrown his way. I dont like Pettis, but hes had a lot of success the first year for the 49ers. Hes not an utter bum ability-wise.

Which is precisely why Shanny drastically limited his playing time in 2019 and made him a healthy scratch in the SB.

I've heard/read rumors that it is his ' unwillingness to block' that put him in Kyle's doghouse, besides dropping a pass while wide open, lol. He proved his 1st year he can play in the NFL and he proved, his 2nd year, that he doesn't belong in the NFL. This is his deciding year. If he fails it's all in his head because he has the skill to play. Maybe not the toughness though.

Makes zero sense. Blocking is oddly enough one of Pettis' strengths. He just has sucked at contested catches and last year dropped passes in critical spots.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Why are we keeping him? Just what has he done thus far to actually earn a 2020 roster spot? Why are we spending a roster spot on a WR that his own QB don't trust? Trust me, if WE can see that Pettis' own QB don't trust him certainly opposing defenses and DC's can. Over the past 2 seasons Shanny & Co. have drafted - count them - four guys at HIS position, 2 of them high in the draft, ALL possessing skill-sets that it's painfully obvious that Pettis sorely lacks - physicality and toughness. One thing about Shanny's scheme is that everyone has a role to play. Just what role will Pettis play? Whatever role he had for him the last two seasons he's utterly failed at, hence his healthy scratch during the SB, which alone is a damning indictment for a guy we moved up in the 2nd round to acquire (at the cost of draft capital no less).

We'll get far more value with developing Jennings on the 53, or bring in another FA WR, to occupy that roster spot. This team is too close and the roster is too talented to continue to carry unproductive bodies, to continue to pay a highly drafted WR for his potential only. At some point a coming-to-Jesus moment has to take place in regards to Dante Pettis, admit this was a mistake, cut our losses and move on. If Jennings shows anything in practice Pettis is a gonner, as he should be. We're not carrying more than 6 WR's in 2020, and 5 of those are locks - Deebo, Aiyuk, Bourne, Hurd, and Taylor (near lock).That leaves James, Jennings, and Pettis to battle for that final spot. And since Benjamin has opted out l guarantee you that Lynch brings in another veteran FA WR to compete for that 6th spot. I just don't see Pettis winning that.

While "past performance is not an indicator of future outcomes" in the NFL past performance is definitely the strongest indicator of future performances. People have been "chasing the dragon" when it comes to Pettis. It's the only reason I can see him making the team (that and if we carry 7 WR's, which I doubt), why many fans haven't stopped expecting more from Pettis. That Seattle game in his rookie year got people really high on Pettis and since then people have been chasing that high.

So what do we save by cutting/trading him? A wasted roster spot.

He had one horrible yr and is heading into his 3rd yr...we save nothing by cutting him right now. We're down 3 WRs currently and would have to spend more needed cash to replace him with someone meaningful .

Chasing the dragon like Ward and AA? Lol.

Look you clearly don't like him, but looking at it objectively (I'm not the biggest fan either) there's really no value in cutting him. Not with the cap situation and possible replacements you have to pay for an hope they perform (not knowing the scheme in a weird off season).

Chi wanted him cut before he even suited up, so I'd take what he says in regards to Peru's with a grain of salt
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Aug 7, 2020 at 9:38 AM ]

Not sure that's wise since he's afraid of contact.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:

He's not the bully that Deebo is but I wouldn't say he's afraid of contact. He's got a vicious stiff arm and has solid RAC abilities.

I think Kyle just decided to change the offense's identity so out went the small, quick guys like Taylor, Goodwin, and Pettis and in came the positionless bully-ball guys like Kittle, Deebo and Hurd.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:

He's not the bully that Deebo is but I wouldn't say he's afraid of contact. He's got a vicious stiff arm and has solid RAC abilities.

I think Kyle just decided to change the offense's identity so out went the small, quick guys like Taylor, Goodwin, and Pettis and in came the positionless bully-ball guys like Kittle, Deebo and Hurd.
good job in defending pettis . of course i do agree. kyles little ankle breaking guys went the way side... however taylor was not removed by the coaches like goodwin and pettis were... he got hurt and could not play.. the other two. well one got traded which is all you need to know and pettis had a nice view of things from the dog house and his only contribution to the team after pittsburg was to run out there and celebrate someone elses touchdowns.
Are we sure the dude wasn't injured? Didn't he have a groin injury last year?
Originally posted by Hopper:

I wish him the best, but his face is very punchable...

Also, not sure what 5lb weights are going to do for an NFL player. Step YO GAME UP.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Also, not sure what 5lb weights are going to do for an NFL player. Step YO GAME UP.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

SUN SCREEN NEED NO HAIR COLOR THIS YEAR??
Originally posted by evil:
Which is precisely why Shanny drastically limited his playing time in 2019 and made him a healthy scratch in the SB.

The SB scratch was a strategic decision,as they sat a receiver to dress an additional running back (Wilson).

If they had completely given up on Pettis he would not be here. Clearly they haven't and he still has untapped potential. I am not optimistic about us getting anything out of him at this point but by keeping him the staff believes he has at the very least earned a right to compete for a spot.

If they really needed him they would have used him in some capacity in the super bowl.
Originally posted by All22:

Hes just not built for big contact, he still has great hands and quickness. I like the bully ball guys we got cause they can bully run block you also.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

SUN SCREEN NEED NO HAIR COLOR THIS YEAR??

They're 10 pounders. Leave Dante ALONE....lol

Well, not that it's a huge difference, but those weights clearly say 10 lbs on them lol.
Share 49ersWebzone